Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A little bit of background on Steve Spagnuolo

Sanders 83

This was a good post and deserved a bump. I think he has great experiences and is our best option.

Another snipet from the article.

"Prior to his stint at Maine, Spagnuolo spent four months as a scout for the San Diego Chargers under then-general manager Bobby Beathard. His first NFL experience came in 1983 as an intern with the Washington Redskins under then-assistant general manager Charlie Casserly."

After reading this article, I got a much better impression of him than I had. He seems to be far more experienced than everyone thought. Maybe not as a head coach or as a cord. but he's certainly been around the block. Here's a part of the article.

http://www.giants.com/news/eisen/story.asp?story_id=24311

“I was very impressed by his detail, his energy and his enthusiasm,” Coughlin said. “His resume is outstanding. He’s had a lot of different football jobs. He’s been in the scouting end of it, he’s been a defensive line coach. When he first went to Philadelphia eight years ago he coached the corners and then the safeties. The last three years, he’s coached the linebackers there. He’s been with Jim Johnson and that outstanding defense for a number of years. His philosophy is an aggressive philosophy. I like his background. He’s been a coordinator at the college level. He’s been a coordinator in the World League. He’s worked for Jack Bicknell, who is a wonderful guy and an excellent football coach. I’m very impressed and very excited to have him on board.”

Here's another one...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2008/01/18/2008-01-18_steve_spagnuolo_on_top_of_his_game-2.html

"I think he has character. When we were 0-2, this guy was taking a lot of heat. I know that he felt the pressure that we all felt," Antonio Pierce said. "But every day he kept patting us on the back: 'You guys are a good defense, you're going to be a good defense.' And hell, he was right. We turned out to be the seventh-best defense in the league and I think that speaks volumes about him.

"Most (coaches) try to take respect. I feel he earned our respect. He came with open arms. Of course, being a defensive coordinator like he is, he was very aggressive with things but when guys had suggestions, he was open to it. He was personable. In years past, you'd be with some defensive coordinators who would tear a guy down and never pat him on the pack. We're grown men, but at the same time, there has to be some kind of balance."

Updated with a 3rd glowing article from the Giants players...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/ny-spgdefense185542279jan18,0,3696609.story

"I really feel like I can just go and talk to him about what I see, during a game or whenever," safety James Butler said. "He does a great job communicating what he wants us to do."

Even when Spagnuolo isn't there to guide the defense, the players take note. Friday afternoons are defensive-starters-only meeting days, to watch more film. Spagnuolo's wife, Maria, makes sure her husband's crew has extra incentive to stay in that film room; she's been baking desserts all season. Banana pudding, apple turnovers, cookies and cheesecake are on the menu, just to name a few of the specialties.

That's not a background, more like an endorsement and I'd be more convinced about him if he can maintain a top 10 defense for the next 2 or 3 years. I just can't get all hyped up over a 1 year wonder.

Does anybody know where his defense finished this year? Tom?

Jack Del Rio was only a DC for one year. How's that working out? Pretty good I think. :2cents:

I think of Marvin Lewis when I think of Spags, but that Ravens D was MUCH more talented. Spags has the experience in the NFC and NFC East that we need. Plus with his insight into the personnel side of the house only makes us stronger talent evaluators. He was willing to work with existing coaches in NY so why wouldn't he do the same here in DC. Coughlin is likely getting an extension, so his time is now to move on. For all those reasons plus those that everyone else has mentioned, is why I see him becoming more successful than Marvin Lewis in a HC role.

I have to say. I liked watching him coach the superbowl. He seems to have the kind of fire and intensity I like to see in a head coach. Hell he *looks* like a head coach. I know that sounds like a dumb thing to say but when a team is looking to their coach for inspiration, I like the idea of the guy looking like someone you can have confidence in.

I also like the idea of hiring someone new. Someone up and coming. Someone who will develop his identity with us. *IF* they are qualified.

If he impresses in his interview and gets the job, I'm down with it.

I think of Marvin Lewis when I think of Spags, but that Ravens D was MUCH more talented. Spags has the experience in the NFC and NFC East that we need. Plus with his insight into the personnel side of the house only makes us stronger talent evaluators. He was willing to work with existing coaches in NY so why wouldn't he do the same here in DC. Coughlin is likely getting an extension, so his time is now to move on. For all those reasons plus those that everyone else has mentioned, is why I see him becoming more successful than Marvin Lewis in a HC role.
I remember reading an article somewhere and the writer asked if it bothered him to not be choosing his own staff on defense, and he said it was actually a good thing because he didn't have to search for a coaching staff and everything was already set up. Folks, I was really down on this guy before, but after reading more and more about him I think he is the Jim Schwartz of the NFC. He reminds me in this aspect of Joe Gibbs, in playing the hand you're dealt with. Whoever told Danny to hold off on hiring a coach before interviewing this guy is a genius, even if it is Vinny, which I'd have to believe it was. Snyder wanted Fassel, and Vinny probably stopped him and said look, why don't we wait and evaluate all other options. I have to think Vinny was down on Fassel, and wants either Mooch or Spags, and told Danny to wait. Maybe we should be thanking Vinny soon...

EDIT: Here is the article I previously mentioned: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/superbowl/articles/0202sb-giantsfeat0203.html

Spagnuolo avoided being dictatorial when he came to the Giants. He sought the advice of the returning assistants' date=' and spent the first weeks on the job listening to their thoughts and ideas.

Inheriting a staff wouldn't be an ideal situation for some assistants, but Spagnuolo viewed it as a positive.

"In some regards, when that happens you're relieved of having to go find (coaches)," he said. "It didn't take long for me to realize that I was lucky they all stayed, in all truthfulness."

While keeping some elements of the Giants defense, Spagnuolo implemented his own ideas, which is why Tom Coughlin hired him. Spagnuolo brought with him from Philadelphia a pressure scheme that includes more blitzes, more press coverage by the corners and a willingness to take a few more chances.[/quote']

']Stay Away!!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Money talks Tom; but I think the KRAFT family will have somethin' to say about this Coach :D

I think the Giants NEED to keep their coaching staff together :D ; they're gonna need all their brains to beat our Coaching Staff and TEAM next year :applause:

:cheers: :gaintsuck :dallasuck :eaglesuck :D

Does anyone else think that him and Blache might differ a little bit in there philosophy. Blatche is more about getting coverage sacks and sitting back and being a read and react defense. Spags is an attacking defense that sends blitzes from everywhere. I dunno I maybe be wrong but I just dont think Blatche and Spags would get along to well. The more I hear about Spags the more I would not mind seing him as the next coach. No other candidate out there is really blowing me out of the water and I was really really impressed with the coaching job Spags has done the past few weeks. His blueprint for beating the Pats last night was incredible. Also he is a young guy and has worked under some great coaches....

Does anyone else think that him and Blatche might differ a little bit in there philosophy. Blatche is more about getting coverage sacks and sitting back and being a read and react defense. Spags is an attacking defense that sends blitzes from everywhere. I dunno I maybe be wrong but I just dont think Blatche and Spags would get along to well. The more I hear about Spags the more I would not mind seing him as the next coach. No other candidate out there is really blowing me out of the water and I was really really impressed with the coaching job Spags has done the past few weeks. His blueprint for beating the Pats last night was incredible. Also he is a young guy and has worked under some great coaches....

umm. do you mean Blanche? :doh:

I feel Spags would be a good fit. Coming from the Giants would give us advantage against the other NFC East teams.

What worries me is the coaching of the offense. Zorn is a great hire but will need some good assistants.

We already have much of the old offensive staff on board to help Zorn. If we do pull off Spagnuolo, I think this could work wonders because both Zorn and Spags would be taking on new important challenges, and would be even more inclined to keep new ideas coming and open communication flowing. This would be a dream scenario at this point for both parties, Skins fans for the most part are on board for this, and Spagnuolo's stock won't soar any higher than it did this past year. He knows this, and is hungry, and wants to prove himself as a bonafide head coach. Not many HC vacancies come with teams who made the playoffs the previous year, or a free-spending owner such as Dan, so if he has a good interview then I think he'll be the next head coach of the Washington Redskins.

its pretty well documented that Blanche already has a strong personality, what will happen with a defensive minded head coach with a differing philosophy? Last thing we need is another headcoach vs coordinator fiasco like gibbs vs saunders. Bring in mooch and the WC offense already!

After that performance last night, I would def. accept Snyder hiring Spags. Just think, we have a much more talented secondary, esp. if we sign/draft a corner or de. As for him and blatche i think he would prefer an experienced coordinator since this will be his first year as head coach and first year with the defense. The only thing that might hold this up is snyder wanting a coach who can groom qbs.

That's not a background, more like an endorsement and I'd be more convinced about him if he can maintain a top 10 defense for the next 2 or 3 years. I just can't get all hyped up over a 1 year wonder.

Does anybody know where his defense finished this year? Tom?

Fassel lost 1 Superbowl. You could call him the same thing.

In this sense, Fassel is a known commodity. A good head coach but not a great one, who hasn't won a SB. I'll take a coach with potential who may be great over one who we know isn't.

its pretty well documented that Blanche already has a strong personality, what will happen with a defensive minded head coach with a differing philosophy? Last thing we need is another headcoach vs coordinator fiasco like gibbs vs saunders. Bring in mooch and the WC offense already!
Last time I checked, the head coach and Vinny/Dan are higher than the head coach. If Blache doesn't like it then he can leave, they didn't hire him as the head honcho. We don't need any impressive egos here, we had that with Saunders and Williams and it didn't work out. Coughlin swallowed his ego this year and listened more to his players, and it won him a championship. Spagnuolo ate his pride and accepted the coaches already in place in New York. Blache isn't good enough to have that much say, he isn't the head coach. Besides, this was 2 weeks ago, things change. Spagnuolo's defense >>>> Blache's defense.

I like that Spags believes in a strong D-line. Made a hell of a difference last night, didn't it? Truth is, we've had most of our success when we've had excellent lines on both sides of the ball. I really think this is the way to go now.

With the staff we're keeping I think we'll be OK on the offense. On D, Blatche and Spags might disagree about whether to emphasize the line or the backfield; but I think it's obvious that our biggest need on D is to get a class A pass rusher, so maybe it wouldn't be so hard for them to get along after all.:2cents:

Archived