Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A little bit of background on Steve Spagnuolo

Sanders 83

After reading this article, I got a much better impression of him than I had. He seems to be far more experienced than everyone thought. Maybe not as a head coach or as a cord. but he's certainly been around the block. Here's a part of the article.

http://www.giants.com/news/eisen/story.asp?story_id=24311

“I was very impressed by his detail, his energy and his enthusiasm,” Coughlin said. “His resume is outstanding. He’s had a lot of different football jobs. He’s been in the scouting end of it, he’s been a defensive line coach. When he first went to Philadelphia eight years ago he coached the corners and then the safeties. The last three years, he’s coached the linebackers there. He’s been with Jim Johnson and that outstanding defense for a number of years. His philosophy is an aggressive philosophy. I like his background. He’s been a coordinator at the college level. He’s been a coordinator in the World League. He’s worked for Jack Bicknell, who is a wonderful guy and an excellent football coach. I’m very impressed and very excited to have him on board.”

Here's another one...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2008/01/18/2008-01-18_steve_spagnuolo_on_top_of_his_game-2.html

"I think he has character. When we were 0-2, this guy was taking a lot of heat. I know that he felt the pressure that we all felt," Antonio Pierce said. "But every day he kept patting us on the back: 'You guys are a good defense, you're going to be a good defense.' And hell, he was right. We turned out to be the seventh-best defense in the league and I think that speaks volumes about him.

"Most (coaches) try to take respect. I feel he earned our respect. He came with open arms. Of course, being a defensive coordinator like he is, he was very aggressive with things but when guys had suggestions, he was open to it. He was personable. In years past, you'd be with some defensive coordinators who would tear a guy down and never pat him on the pack. We're grown men, but at the same time, there has to be some kind of balance."

Updated with a 3rd glowing article from the Giants players...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/ny-spgdefense185542279jan18,0,3696609.story

"I really feel like I can just go and talk to him about what I see, during a game or whenever," safety James Butler said. "He does a great job communicating what he wants us to do."

Even when Spagnuolo isn't there to guide the defense, the players take note. Friday afternoons are defensive-starters-only meeting days, to watch more film. Spagnuolo's wife, Maria, makes sure her husband's crew has extra incentive to stay in that film room; she's been baking desserts all season. Banana pudding, apple turnovers, cookies and cheesecake are on the menu, just to name a few of the specialties.

That's enough for me. I'd be more than happy with his hiring. Another quote about Spagnuolo that I like is the one that Reuben Frank presented:

"You can't let two games shake your confidence in a 16-game season," rookie defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo said at the time. "When you are in certain adverse situations, you rely back on prior experiences. In, I think it was 2003, we [the Eagles] began 0-2. And we ended up in the NFC Championship Game." - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/reuben_frank/01/23/giants/index.html

I love it! I wish Saunders could have done the same, regarding his own system, with Joe Gibbs.

You know the bad feeling I have..............or it could be just too much time on my hands this lazy Saturday afternoon. :)

What if there really is not an interest in Spagnuolo (or McDaniels). That Snyder has really hired Fassel. But after the uproar he didn't want to announce it this week and decided to wait, make it seem as if we're going to interview Spags. Then hope (expect) the Giants D gets shredded in the SB so everyone would jump off the Spags bandwagon and thus when he announces the Fassel hiring on Wednesday the 5th it won't be met with quite the same venom it would before.

You're right and at that this point, I don't care anymore.

If you don't care at all, why are you even posting? More than likely your just extremely pissed about the whole situation, and in a couple weeks or months you will be over it. This year alone every Redskin fan has been through a lot, and we have gotton through all of it. Because in the end, we all love our Redskins, no matter who the owner, coach, or the cords.

You know the bad feeling I have..............or it could be just too much time on my hands this lazy Saturday afternoon. :)

What if there really is not an interest in Spagnuolo (or McDaniels). That Snyder has really hired Fassel. But after the uproar he didn't want to announce it this week and decided to wait, make it seem as if we're going to interview Spags. Then hope (expect) the Giants D gets shredded in the SB so everyone would jump off the Spags bandwagon and thus when he announces the Fassel hiring on Wednesday the 5th it won't be met with quite the same venom it would before.

Hey at this point in the process, I wouldn't be suprised by anything. Your guess is as good as mine. Personally I think at this point, Spags and Fassel may be the only realistic options left.

Hey at this point in the process, I wouldn't be suprised by anything. Your guess is as good as mine. Personally I think at this point, Spags and Fassel may be the only realistic options left.

I'm rooting for the Giants. I hope their DF destroys the Perfect Season want-to-be Patriots. If it's down to Fassel and Spags, we all know we'd rather have Spags.

I just got off the phone with a very knowledgable Giants fan, and he said the same thing Tom the Giants fan said, STAY AWAY!! I think we may be onto something with this Spags idea.

Kind of makes sense because we could have named Fassel HC by now. Did R1 fly to GB the day of the GB vs NY game? If so, I wonder if they have already spoken with Spags already. I know, I know you can't, but we are talking about Snyder here and if in fact R1 was at GB maybe we have already talked to him.

Kind of makes sense because we could have named Fassel HC by now. Did R1 fly to GB the day of the GB vs NY game? If so, I wonder if they have already spoken with Spags already. I know, I know you can't, but we are talking about Snyder here and if in fact R1 was at GB maybe we have already talked to him.

I'm not trying to start any rumors, and we certainly haven't heard any like that yet. I'm just trying to look at what is left to us. If we were going to hire someone like Pete Carrol or Bill Cowher, we would have already interviewed them. It may be possible that Snyder wants to hire someone already interviewed after the Super Bowl, to maximize the exposure. But I think more realistically he hasn't be blown away by anyone yet, and wants to get a chance to interview someone with experience in the NFC East, who hasn't been away from the game as long as Fassel. As well as Fassel being the only offense coach interviewed, I think Spags makes way more sense than McDaniels.

']But is it enough to make you root for the Giants?

I'm rooting for The New York Football GIANTS in Super Bowl LXVII - for the following reasons:

(1.) to keep the Lombardi Trophy within our illustrious Division - the NFC "Beasts of The" EAST;

(2.) to cause all the PATRIOTS "bandwagoneers" to "S.T.F.U."; and,

(3.) to acknowledge the fact that a "TALENTED - yet, MUCH MALIGNED QB", Eli MANNING can TRULY be an NFL "FRANCHISE QB"!!! ("JC-Haters": Are you LISTENING?!?)

HAIL!!! :applause::cheers::2cents:

Hey I would love to bring Spags in....I really dont want Fassel... and i think a good young coach is the way to go....I do agree it may be to early on in his career to get the job but hey even if we are early on this guy I do believe he will be good, from what people tell me and what ive read he is a hell of a motivator and his players love him.

Archived