Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins intrested in QB Joe Flacco from Del?

Gibbsisgod2006

http://was.scout.com/a.z?s=71&p=2&c=722729

The Washington Redskins interviewed DE Darrell Robertson (Georgia Tech), DT Dre Moore (Maryland), CB Chevis Jackson (LSU), LB Phillip Wheeler (Georgia Tech), and QB Joe Flacco (Delaware) Tuesday evening as they continue to check out prospects for this year's draft class.

It's obvious from the players interviewed on Tuesday night that Washington is interested in upgrading their defense. However, Flacco is an interesting name, especially when the Redskins already have their franchise QB in Jason Campbell.

Robertson is a tall, rangy defender who thrives on making plays in the backfield. He's a good athlete who gets after the quarterback and takes good angles in pursuit. He finished his senior campaign with 36 tackles, 16 for a loss and 6.5 sacks. Robertson projects as a late third-, early fourth-round pick.

Moore is an athletic interior defensive lineman who has quick feet and strength. At 6-foot-4, 311 pounds, Moore is a disruptive force who defends the run and rushes the passer well. He finished his senior year with 63 tackles, 8.5 for a loss, six sacks and an interception. Moore projects as a third-round selection.

Jackson has playmaking ability and possesses excellent footwork and technique. He has a good burst of closing speed and plays well in coverage. He has good speed to get vertical and defend the deep ball. He finished the season with 44 tackles, three for a loss and five interceptions. Jackson projects as a third- to fourth-round pick.

Wheeler is an athletic, instinctive linebacker who makes plays sideline-to-sideline. He's a superior athlete with good size and speed. He's good defending the run, but occasionally gets lost in the shuffle. He recorded 88 tackles, 8.5 for a loss and 5.5 sacks this past season. Wheeler's athleticism will allow him to be successful at the next level and will ultimately land him in the third round.

Flacco is a polished passer who shows good poise in the pocket. He has great size and is a leader on the field. He has great awareness and delivers the ball with precision and leads receivers in stride. He goes through his reads, shows patience and displays a quick delivery. Flacco finished his tremendous senior season completing 331-of-521 passes for 4,263 yards, 23 touchdowns and

Thats exactly what they said about Campbell...thing is Flacco is expected to go late second round, we did this with Jamarcus last year...just trying to guage whether people would be willing to trade up to get him.

EDIT: Lots of teams do this, even those with franchise qbs - I know the Chargers and the Patriots interviewed Brady Quinn last year. I know Boomer Esiason was interviewed by the Dolphins...its about trade value, will people trade up to my pick if he's available?

Thats exactly what they said about Campbell...thing is Flacco is expected to go late second round, we did this with Jamarcus last year...just trying to guage whether people would be willing to trade up to get him.

Players also drop in the draft for whatever reason. You never know what might happen to a player that would make him fall to a position where you just can't pass him up.

It is best to be prepared when those things come up.

Jason

I like me some Chevis Jackson... Anyway, it's a bit early for all this speculation about draft position and trading down. I think they are genuinely interested in meeting all these guys.
Players also drop in the draft for whatever reason. You never know what might happen to a player that would make him fall to a position where you just can't pass him up.

It is best to be prepared when those things come up.

Jason

Longshot is right, we like to know the value (I wasnt too clear in my original post) of each player.

Flacco is nice, but he DID put up those numbers playing at Delaware. I'm not sure how long it's going to take for him to be good in this league.

Not sure what to make of that statement. I'm a Delaware alumnus and I know that coming from a I-AA program, Flacco will not be an immediate starter. But that doesn't mean he'd take years to develop. He did lead Delaware to the I-AA championship game and I'd also point out that Rich Gannon also came out of Delaware and did alright in the league.

What bothers me is that the people interviewing these kids might not even work for he Redskins next week which means the Skins would no nothing about the players at the senior bowl.

While the coaches might not be, the scouts certainly will be around. So will the scouting reports and those opinions.

Jason

Flacco is nice, but he DID put up those numbers playing at Delaware. I'm not sure how long it's going to take for him to be good in this league.

There's a reason Flacco was invited to the Senior Bowl. I've watched him in person for 2 years, and he can make any throw on the field, plus he's big and healthy. Watch highlights of Flacco against Navy and you'll see his abilities. Granted, it's Navy, but hey, they're a 1-A school, and he was doing all of this with receivers who are not considered to be NFL talent.

Also consider this, Flacco had to wait an extra year before playing for UD because Wanstadt wouldn't release him from his Pitt scholarship. It's impossible to tell who will make it in the NFL, but I'd be careful not to dismiss him because he decided to showcase his talents at UD for his last two years.....and lead them to the 1-AA finals.

Archived