Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many wins should we demand from Williams...

BurgundyBooger

...in order to come back as the team's head coach (if he's hired) for a hypothetical second year?

I'm going to assume that Snyder gives him a 2-year window, minimum, regardless, but -- in your opinion -- what overall team record should Williams meet to allow for his return in Year 2, followed by the number of wins he'd have to achieve in Year 2 in order to remain our head coach for Year 3?

Anything less than 16 - 0 and a Super Bowl win, you fire him!

I say 10 wins, only because in most seasons, 10 wins is still a wild card spot in the NFCE.

Luckily the rest of the NFC sucked this year, so we squeaked in with 9 wins.

But 10 wins next year could still be a lateral move for us and not necessarily improvement.

But 10 wins at the least next year. And if not he has one final year in 09 to get us deep into the playoffs (NFC champ game).

Booger, it's been a while. Did they finally toss your backside out of KFFL too or have you just added ES to your list of stomping grounds now?

I'd suggest that Nine wins (the same as this year) would be the minumum that should be expected of Gregg Williams if he gets the HC position.

I wasn't tossed, but after my last general discussions topic there, a moderator privately warned me to ease up and that my "antics" were no longer going to be tolerated. I loved that community, still do, but things over there have changed.

Back to the topic: I should have worded the thread title better, and used "expect" as opposed to "demand," since it's clearly obvious what we all, as Skins fans, demand from the head coach of our beloved team. I suppose I was in a rush to get a general idea of the expectations from Redskins nation.

But, to answer my own question and thread topic, I think 8 wins next year should be the cutoff record. Granted, we don't have the most proficient personnel department in the league, and our salary cap situation will divorce us from any real hope of having an aggressive offseason, but with the core group of guys that we have, I don't see how we will be significantly worse.

Now, if you'll allow me to veer off track, I really think this team needs to rebuild, or go through a "rebirth" and start fresh with a new philosophy. All of our core, important players and leaders (Campbell, Moss, Smoot, Cooley, Landry, Rogers, Portis, Samuels) are relatively young, so they should have no problem having to endure a legitimate rebuilding phase at this point in their careers. It's the older veterans that usually have a problem with it, and most of the ones on this team can take a hike for all that I care.

Frankly, I have my own doubts regarding Williams's ability to field a consistently winning ball club, but I also feel that he -- if he's hired -- will be inherenting a team that was put together with a short-term philosophy in mind. I could easily see this team deteriorating in 2009 almost as easily as I can see it improving after a 2008 season.

I guess if we "Demand" something, it's gonna count somewhere at Redskins park :doh:

Sure seems like many folks here think it will!

Obviously we can't 'demand' anything...but assuming we stay healthy...I don't see any reason to say that we should 'expect' GW to lead us back into the playoffs and improve our record by at least one win...

I am stunned by the replies in this thread. I know I'd love a magical season next year, but no matter what there are going to be some setbacks with the change. Just give the guy the team and see what happens. Don't demand anything!! It's the first year! For PETE'S sake, talk about pressure! I'm not sure I'd take the job of HC for any money if I read this thread.

Then wouldn't it be for GREGG'S sake? :silly:

Also, what I demand and what I expect are 2 different things. I demand perfection. Will it happen? No. But I go into all 16 games expecting to win. What I expect from this team? At least 11 wins. There is no reason we shouldn't win 11 games with the roster we have.

Some of you that expect only 8, 9 or 10 wins have fallen into the trap of mediocraty. Is that what you expect from this team every year? Haven't we been down that road for the past 15 years? Not me. 11 wins or next season will be just another one in a long line of disappointing seasons.

You cant really put a shelf on that. Its more concerning the direction the team is in. Yes those 2 should go hand in hand but i honestly dont think that's true all the time.

I wouldnt "demand" wins from them, but i would say the expectation level should be the same as any time you get a coach... enough wins to win the big one

This is somewhat meaningless.

For example, in the firstyear, even if we finish 10-6, GW may deserve to be fired if we go 0-6 in the last six games. Conversely, if we go 7-9, with 7 straight wins at the end, GW probably deserves a second year.

GW may deserve a second chance, even if we go 1-15, if GW's failure is caused by something drastic (e.g., a plane that Skins team is on goes down in flames).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I understand what you're saying, but if the Skins were to start 0-9, GW won't be around to try for 7-9. He'd be run out of town. Line forms behind ES members...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We have no right to demand anything, nor does the organization hold any responsibility or obligation to listen to any of our demands.

Why would we, as fans, start putting demands on a coach that hasn't even been hired yet for next season and this season hasn't even officially concluded yet?

And, what about close, competive games that we fall short in the end. Shouldn't we want to see progress on the field of play and with game management in year one of a new coach more than anything else?

Some of you that expect only 8, 9 or 10 wins have fallen into the trap of mediocraty. Is that what you expect from this team every year? Haven't we been down that road for the past 15 years? Not me. 11 wins or next season will be just another one in a long line of disappointing seasons.

I haven't fallen into the trap of mediocrity. The team went there, and dragged me along with them. That IS the road we've been on for a long time. Until we hit a fork in that road and veer off in a different direction, that's what I expect.

Ain't reality a *****? :)

I haven't fallen into the trap of mediocrity. The team went there, and dragged me along with them. That IS the road we've been on for a long time. Until we hit a fork in that road and veer off in a different direction, that's what I expect.

Ain't reality a *****? :)

I realize what the reality is, but it doesn't mean I have to accept it. Like I said, I expect 11 wins, wether we see that or not is up to the team. But I will not go along with saying, oh 8-8 or 9-7 is acceptable at this point. It's not. If we go 8-8 next season, then again, it's not acceptable and the team needs to held accountable for it. Detroit and Arizona accept 9-7 seasons, the Redskins shouldn't. If any of the players are satisfied with 9-7 and a 1st round playoff loss, we're already doomed for next year.

This is somewhat meaningless.

For example, in the firstyear, even if we finish 10-6, GW may deserve to be fired if we go 0-6 in the last six games. Conversely, if we go 7-9, with 7 straight wins at the end, GW probably deserves a second year.

GW may deserve a second chance, even if we go 1-15, if GW's failure is caused by something drastic (e.g., a plane that Skins team is on goes down in flames).

Too many pessimistic variables :mad:

I realize what the reality is, but it doesn't mean I have to accept it. Like I said, I expect 11 wins, wether we see that or not is up to the team. But I will not go along with saying, oh 8-8 or 9-7 is acceptable at this point. It's not. If we go 8-8 next season, then again, it's not acceptable and the team needs to held accountable for it. Detroit and Arizona accept 9-7 seasons, the Redskins shouldn't. If any of the players are satisfied with 9-7 and a 1st round playoff loss, we're already doomed for next year.

Personally, I never said it was acceptable. But many people seem to think it is, and will point to any excuse they can find to justify it. However, if anyone was expecting (or demanding) 11 wins in a season, they have been sorely disappointed for 16 years now.

Whomever is the coach will be lucky to win 8 games next year due to Jason Campbell. Unless he drastically improves the team will be lucky to go 8-8. We were 9-8 only because of Todd Collins. With Jason we were 5-7 and looking like we were going to lose to the Bears until TC saved the day. If JC plays better we will be over .500%, if he plays like he did this year then we will be under .500 I am sure of that.

Personally, I never said it was acceptable. But many people seem to think it is, and will point to any excuse they can find to justify it. However, if anyone was expecting (or demanding) 11 wins in a season, they have been sorely disappointed for 16 years now.

Agreed. I guess that was my whole point that alot of people are getting too laxed into accepting a mediocre team, because of the last 16 years. Man, I can remember saying in the 80's that anything below 10-6 was a major disappointment. :(

Archived