Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What has Gibbs done to these players/coaches?!

TCO

First of all... I think I need to say that I extremely PROUD of this team and Gibbs for how everything was handled, and blessed and thankful that I had a chance to watch one of the best coaches in NFL history for a second, after being too young to truly appreciate him the first go 'round.

That being said...

What the hell?

Unless everyone in the Redskins organization, from Snyder on down, is a group of coordinated liars, Gibbs essentially jilted this team. Saying he intended to fulfill his 5 year contract, and even leaving the players with the mindset that they would be coming back to Redskins Park with Gibbs as HC! How do you think this is going to make them feel? In 6 weeks, they lose Sean Taylor and now their HOF HC, team LEADER and essentially a father figure! I almost feel like if Gibbs was going to step down, this should have been announced prior, with the succession already being named and we could have all wished Gibbs good bye PROPERLY after the Dallas game, instead of thinking "F--- YEAH GIBBS! PLAYOFFS AND THEN NEXT YEAR, EVEN BETTER!" Thinking, probably like the players, that this team would have one more year of continuity and one more chance to get Gibbs back to the Super Bowl.

I'm throughly concerned about the player's morale (especially Jason!) and the direction of this team under Snyder and Vinny Cerrato by themselves. We can piss and moan all we want about Gibbs's mistakes, but at the end of the day this man was head and shoulders above anyone we had seen since... well, Joe Gibbs.

Call it a rant, call it me crying, I really don't care... I woke up feeling bad about the Skins not going to Dallas but ecstatic for next year. I've now got this sinking feeling that we're going through the dark ages again without teh Redskins saviour, essentially.

But dear god Danny, hire Williams and keep Saunders. Do whatever you can to keep this change to a minimum for as long as possible.

Jason will be fine. He's a smart guy. It's a business and he knows that. I'm sure Gibbs didn't say "Oh, yeah, this will be my last year" during the year because that would be an extreme morale killer. I hope everything goes well because I'm kind of worried about the future. I just hope another major overhaul isn't in store. Hopefully Danny learned his lesson.

Sean Taylor dies.

Gibbs retires.

Only a losing season would have completed my 2007-2008 football season trifecta of despair.

I also am suprised and disapointed with the coach. He promised me he would finish his contract. He said he was a man of his word.

We were one season away, and now the team gets turned up-side down and shaken thouroughly and we suck for the next three years.

Before I'm bashed (wait too late)... I did get my disclaimer out that I understood you would be taking it as ranting - which I think we're all entitled to.

I think that in my desparity there is a valid point...

How are the players on this team affected? You can say Gibbs deserves to leave this team on his terms, etc. but that doesn't take away from the way it happened. You'd think that as close as this team got, turning into more of a family, that the patriarch of this family wouldn't veil his ultimate intentions to his family. That's what bugs me, and how these players are affected - because they're here next year, while Gibbs is not.

Ultimately, I think I'm just caught off guard and extremely concerned about the future of this franchise without the FACE of the Washington Redskins. Mad Mike, you can call it BS, or you can say it sucks, but if you're not concerned with the effect this will have on the product we're going to either be hailing or bashing in 8 months, you're awful shortsighted. Maybe that didn't come through clearly, but yanno, I had to rant first.

I am very sad right now because we lost a great coach. I am very happy for Gibbs right now because he is leaving to be with his family. The season took a toll on Gibbs and I think the last four years took a toll on Gibbs.

Joe Gibbs didn't let me down by no fullfilling his contract. I think people need to step back and look at this from a human standpoint and not from a selfish standpoint.

Go to http://www.redskins.com/

Click on Randle El's interview. I think his opinion will be similar to most players. He was surprised, but not really shocked because he knew how much time Gibbs put into the team every year. He knows that there are other factors (age, health, family, etc.) that weigh into the decision and he understands what Gibbs did. He also believes that Gibbs helped turn around the team and did the best he could.

I am very sad right now because we lost a great coach. I am very happy for Gibbs right now because he is leaving to be with his family. The season took a toll on Gibbs and I think the last four years took a toll on Gibbs.

Joe Gibbs didn't let me down by no fullfilling his contract. I think people need to step back and look at this from a human standpoint and not from a selfish standpoint.

But he DIDN'T say it was because of health or family. In fact, just last month he said he was "open" to contract extension talk, and always maintained he had every intention of fullfilling his contract.

It is possible with all the stress and strain this year combined with his age and health that he decided to step down earlier. Especially if he thought that we were going to lose Greg Williams. It may have been the most unselfish act he could have made in order to keep continuity.

MC

:wtf: Number one, contracts dont mean anything. Number 2, coaches cant say "yeah, im done after this year" while they are still coaching. They just cant.

If you think for a second that ANY player on the team feels jilted by Coach Gibbs, you need a SERIOUS reality check.

A reality check why exactly? You don't think it's human nature to feel jilted or phased by the uncertainty of the situation of someone leaving somewhat unexpectedly? I mean, you heard all of the media reports, no one expected him to leave - just because everyone has an option to stay or go doesn't mean people expect it.

EDIT: Oh, and he said he'd fulfill his contract. That's not leading people on to believe he'd be here next year?

If I remember right, Cooley thought on Elliott that Gibbs would be back. Someone else would have to confirm, but I'm thinking I did hear that.

Listen, I am not bashing Gibbs. I respect his decision to go. I just think it's going to have an adverse effect on this team because it was sudden and mostly unexpected.

the mediots on 1st take are speculating that snyder might have "asked" gibbs to resign. if true, you can't be too hard on him.

I received this email from a friend. Obviously, it can't be substantiated and may be complete B.S.:

"My office mate and a couple of team members had dinner at Morton's in Reston last night. Who was sitting in a private room directly across from their table? Joe Gibbs and Daniel Snyder. When they left the room, Snyder apparently looked furious, and would not talk to anyone on his way out. I think that Gibbs resigned there. Pretty weird ....."

the mediots on 1st take are speculating that snyder might have "asked" gibbs to resign. if true, you can't be too hard on him.

Wait. You call them mediots. You say they are specualting. Yet you're willing to perhaps believe them and use that to vindicate Joe Gibbs from his lies. :doh:

I don't know why everyone is so shocked about this. He has done this in the past.

Archived