Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you counter act speed on the defense?

md20j

I asked this question on a reply, and I thought about it and it seems important enough to talk about:

How do you counter act the opposing team's speed on defense?

I think back to the two games where the defense of the opposition made me the most nervous as I watched the game: Buffalo and Seattle. Both of those defenses reminded my of those 90's Dallas teams where the defenses weren't very big body-wise, but just fast. Fast on the backside of the play, active before the snap, always a ton of bodies around the ball. How do you counter act that as an offense? West coast style, with dumps right behind the linebackers in front of the secondary? Power running up the gut? What do you do?

JB

I asked this question on a reply, and I thought about it and it seems important enough to talk about:

How do you counter act the opposing team's speed on defense?

I think back to the two games where the defense of the opposition made me the most nervous as I watched the game: Buffalo and Seattle. Both of those defenses reminded my of those 90's Dallas teams where the defenses weren't very big body-wise, but just fast. Fast on the backside of the play, active before the snap, always a ton of bodies around the ball. How do you counter act that as an offense? West coast style, with dumps right behind the linebackers in front of the secondary? Power running up the gut? What do you do?

JB

Proper execution and solid technique for one. Dump passes help, as do draw plays, but both have to be executed correctly and quickly.:2cents:

Beating speed oriented defenses starts with athleticism across the OL. All the technique in the world isn't going to counter act speed on defense if they don't have the agility to utilize it. Outside of Samuels and Thomas we aren't very athletic on the OL. It makes misdirection much more effective when you have linemen that are capable of moving around more efficiently.

Draw plays to your biggest guy. So we should have been running draw plays with Sellers alot to slow them down. We didn't do much of anything as far as I could tell to try to slow them down.

That 4th and 1 play was terrible... they split sellers and portis and gave the ball to Portis.

Got to fancy for thier own pants. Just give it to sellers or have sellers lead for Portis, don't split them.

well, obviously the one necessary ingredient is having a forward line that is able to win its one on one matchups. clearly, Stephon Heyer at 6'6 and 325 is a prospect for the Redskins who may develop into a solid veteran starter over time, but as Bugel noted at age 23 it is very difficult to match a guy that raw up against a pro bowl DE and win that battle.

you could say the same thing inside with 33 year old Jason Fabini. He battled during the season at an unfamiliar position but this team really needs Randy Thomas back.

you make changes up front in getting solid vets back on the field from IR and then perhaps go out and acquire a WR with size to exploit the middle of the field, and the Redskins will be much better able to handle the speed of a rush defense in the postseason.

well, obviously the one necessary ingredient is having a forward line that is able to win its one on one matchups. clearly, Stephon Heyer at 6'6 and 325 is a prospect for the Redskins who may develop into a solid veteran starter over time, but as Bugel noted at age 23 it is very difficult to match a guy that raw up against a pro bowl DE and win that battle.

you could say the same thing inside with 33 year old Jason Fabini. He battled during the season at an unfamiliar position but this team really needs Randy Thomas back.

you make changes up front in getting solid vets back on the field from IR and then perhaps go out and acquire a WR with size to exploit the middle of the field, and the Redskins will be much better able to handle the speed of a rush defense in the postseason.

Yes sir. All the plays mentioned (screens, draws, counters, up the gut) don't work without a solid front line which I'm sad to say we didn't have all year and especially yesterday. Time isn't helping either. Everybody on the board knows the combined age of our starting line, 43243!

Archived