Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

This is just my opinion, but I think it has to do with who Floyd is fighting, rather than it just being Floyd. His Guerrero numbers were well south of a million buys. I believe his numbers with Kahn may be even lower. I've gotten all his PPV's and I won't be getting this one by myself.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pacquiao-says-borrowing-typhoon-aid-110326798--spt.html

I hope this isn't a serious issue for Pac. I've read other stories from people close to him that says he spends his money faster than he makes it. I would hate to see him fighting well beyond the point of reason simply because he needs the funds.

When it rains, it pours:

http://fighthype.com/news/article15709.html

Edited by T-REX1240

Kirkland vs. Tapia & Rigondeaux vs. Agbeko on HBO as well.

This Lara/Trout fight was a good matchup on paper, but I was afraid their styles might lead to a bit of a stinker in the ring. When you get 2 natural counterpunchers in the ring, somebody has to lead to make it exciting. Neither one is wanting to lead. I have Lara up so far, seems the sharper of the two.

Edited by StillUnknown

Trout gets dropped in the 11th, Lara is outclassing him plain and simple.

Its been a boring fight, but Lara is showing his class. Its not easy to outbox Trout, even when Canelo beat him it was more of outworking him. This has been school.

Edited by StillUnknown

Porter following that Bradley blueprint right now, has hurt Alexander a couple of times early. Upset might be brewing.

At one point and time, Porter was a hot prospect, but a few bad outings kinda changed opinions on him. He appears to be putting it all together so far tonight. He's shutting out Alexander after 4.

Edited by StillUnknown

Tapia's corner did him no favors sending him out for that last round, I hope Tapia isn't seriously hurt after that one.

That fight was almost a mirror of Kirkland's fight with Angulo. Kirkland took a beating in the first round, then walked him down with vicious shots the rest of the way. Kirkland is a different fighter under Ann Wolfe.

That's true, but by doing this, isn't they putting pressure on Mayweather to either fight Pacquiao or drop the title? Most believe he's been ducking Pacquiao already, if he drops a title to avoid him, that would pretty much confirm it in a lot of people's eyes. Also this move by WBC is a way of telling Top Rank and Golden Boy to make this fight NOW.

That's true, but by doing this, isn't they putting pressure on Mayweather to either fight Pacquiao or drop the title? Most believe he's been ducking Pacquiao already, if he drops a title to avoid him, that would pretty much confirm it in a lot of people's eyes. Also this move by WBC is a way of telling Top Rank and Golden Boy to make this fight NOW.

That would only matter if people still put stock & credibility in commission titles, they don't. Be very clear, the WBC or any other sanctioning body does not possess the power or credibility to make stripping a fighter have any impact. If they stripped Mayweather, it wouldn't change the conversation in boxing one iota.

These sanctioning bodies have spent the last decade plus destroying their own credibility, they're not worth discussing in a reasonable debate.

The WBC is exposing their own incomptence in that release. Pac goes from not being in their top 15 to #1 based on shutting out Brandon Rios? That makes no sense. Even worse than that, according to that article, Luis Carlos Abregu was #1 before Pac. That should tell you all you need to know about the WBC.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

So previously they were putting the pressure on Mayweather to fight Luis Carlos Abregu?  I'm not a Arum fan but Jose Sulaiman makes him look like an upstanding citizen.  They'll strip Mayweather of the belt and nothing will change

Jesus:

Manny Pacquiao has 18 MILLION new tax problems ... in addition to his $50 million tax fight in the Philippines ... and this time, it's Uncle Sam that's trying to force Manny to pay up. 

TMZ Sports has obtained official documents which show the IRS claims Manny stiffed the government out of federal income taxes from 2006 to 2010 ... totaling $18,313,668.79 in debt. 

Here's the yearly breakdown: 

2006 -- $1,160,324.30 
2007 -- $2,035,992.50
2008 -- $2,862,437.11
2009 -- $8,022,915.87
2010 -- $4,231,999.01

Interesting note -- Manny had 3 big fights in 2008, including a match against Oscar De La Hoya in which MP reportedly banked $15-$30 million in guaranteed cash. 

In 2009, Manny famously fought Ricky Hatton and earned a $12 million purse. 

Manny's U.S. tax problems come on the heels of a nasty tax war in his home country, The Philippines ... where the govt. claims he evaded paying $50 million in taxes in 2008 and 2009 stemming from fights that took place in the United States.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/10/manny-pacquiao-irs-tax-united-states-18-million/#ixzz2n8hOEaxl

Hopefully this dude can get this sorted out ASAP

Showtime is ending the year with a quadruple header tonight, with a damn good main event.

I'll take Broner to outclass Maidana. Broner would be wise to use his movement and speed advantage to give Maidana a moving target. If he stands flat footed and tries to shoulder roll like he did against Malignaggi, Maidana will most likely crack his jaw. He's not nearly as good at that shoulder roll as he thinks he is and can be hit clean. I'm thinking that Broner will realize he can't be a stationary target like he was against Paulie and Maidana doesn't do so well when faced with a mover. Its how Devon Alexander was able to completely neutralize him when they fought. I expect Maidana will have a moment or two, but I think Broner clearly shows his class and wins a wide decision or gets a late stoppage.

The co-main event is Jesus Soto Kara vs. Keith Thurman, this could and should be a firefight. Soto Karas was last seen upsetting Andre Berto, Thurman is a pretty good prospect with power who proved in his last fight he could take a shot. Both guys have some defensive deficiencies so it should be a very good fight to watch. I'm not sold on Thurman as a great prospect, but I think he's talented enough and hits hard enough to do enough damage to get through a tough Soto Karas.

The 3rd fight features Leo Santa Cruz. He's not fighting anybody of note, but Santa Cruz is always worth watching, particularly how he attacks the body. Santa Cruz is easily one of my 3 or 4 favorite fighters to watch right now.

Edited by StillUnknown