Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

I love it Shane always has been 1 of my favorite fighters but this surprised me i thought Margarito would wear him down.

I wanted Shane to fight Mayweather so bad before he decided on Oscar. I always though Shane had the skillset to give him a run for his money but Pretty boy would never fight him.

I guess we'll see a rematch with Cotto?

Punisher?

who's next?

Forgive the skepticism, but when I see something like this....similar to seeing Hopkins destroy Pavlick, I can't help but think that drugs are involved.

If anyone was trying to cheat it was Margirito and whatever they took out of his gloves pre-fight. I gotta think theres a chance that's what happened with Cotto.

But yeah, styles make fights. Mosley couldnt have picked a better trainer for this fight. Margarito and Pavlik are siimilar in that theyre both slow, keep coming forward power guys. Dude helped Hopkins take Pavlik out and now he helped Shane take out Mararito. And Mosley is much more on his game then B Hop is at this stage in their careers.

And then add to that the scrutiny that Shane is already under for Balco and I just dont see it. Sorry.

shane's a great boxer, has a better chin, and is better defensively than cotto. he also had a better gameplan, he never once allowed himself to get trapped on the ropes

additionally, margarito isn't that great defensively. he got hit with the same right hand all fight long. marg can be outboxed clearly, you just have to be able to weather his storm. Mosely could, Cotto couldn't.

I think people slept on Shane's chin. In 17 years he's never been KO'd and only knocked down once. Pretty f'n good.

And yeah Shane would throw a quick combo and either tie him up or bounce out. And his best shots came, I thought, when he would fake a bounce out and step up quick into viscious looping power shot. First couple rounds Margarito would block them or partially block them. After that though he was just too fast. He had an excellent jab going too. Another thing he did that Cotto neglected to do was go to the body. He did it rarely but he threw a couple a round. That bothers someone like Margarito whose body isn't exactly tight.

Really it was a picture perfect display of the sweet science. Excellent, excellent job by Shane.

Well I guess Margarito/Cotto 2 is off. (Although I'd really like to see that after what went down tonight with Margarito's gloves.) You think Cotto gets a shot at Shane? If I had to make it Id do Shane/Manny. Id love to see that fight. (I think Shane would take it but who knows.)

That was a straight punishment. I don't follow boxing that closely, but Mosley has to be considered one of the 10 best, at least 15 best, boxers ever right? He's been doing it for so long and is 46-5-1.

top 10-15 is way too high, he came up short against Vernon Forrest & Winky Wright twice each.

i would put him somewhere near the end of top 50

That was a straight punishment. I don't follow boxing that closely, but Mosley has to be considered one of the 10 best, at least 15 best, boxers ever right? He's been doing it for so long and is 46-5-1.

Back in the day (early 00's) Shane was right there in the best pound for pound talks with Roy Jones. But he lost a couple of times and got all mixed up in that Balco mess and kinda fell of the map a little bit.

He's always been great though. Best ever? Na, i dont think so. Boxing has been around for so long and there have been so many great fighters over the past century plus.

He's most definitely top 10 pound for pound in my generation of fighters, i.e. the past 15 years.

and Margarito should be fined & suspended for getting caught trying to load his gloves. you are talking about seriously hurting your opponent when you do **** like that. he got caught this time, now you have to wonder how long he's been doing it. kinda puts a black mark on Margarito's career IMO.

http://www.fightnews.com/?p=2558#more-2558

Following is a statement by Tim Noonan, Chairman of the California Athletic Commission, regarding Antonio Margarito:

“The California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) has temporarily suspended the licenses of Antonio Margarito and his chief corner man, Javier Capetillo. The temporary suspension will remain in effect until CSAC has fully investigated the circumstances surrounding events at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on January 24, 2009. A foreign substance was found by California State Athletic Commission staff in the hand wraps of Antonio Margarito before his bout against Shane Mosley at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The substance found in Margarito’s hand wraps is currently being analyzed by the California Department of Justice. An investigation as to whether either licensee violated CSAC rules is ongoing. Mr. Margarito and Mr. Capetillo have been asked to appear at an initial hearing scheduled for February 10, 2009.”

“The licenses of Mr. Margarito and Mr. Capetillo were suspended pursuant to Business and Professions Code section 18842, which allows for the temporary suspension of a license when such an action is necessary to ‘protect the public welfare.’ CSAC Rule 323 limits the amount and type of gauze and tape allowed under a fighter’s boxing glove. Rule 390 allows CSAC to discipline a licensee when his or her actions are a “discredit to boxing” or violate the rules of CSAC.

“Commission staff will have no further comment until such time as the Commission makes a final determination of whether licensee actions in this case warrant fines, suspensions, or the revocation of licenses. The Commission has asked Mr. Margarito and Mr. Capetillo to appear at an initial hearing currently scheduled for February 10, 2009.”

if its determined he was loading his gloves, he should be suspended for a minimum of two years and heavily fined

if i were in charge he'd be permanently suspended from boxing, loading your gloves is playing with the life of your opponent.

never was fan of his, but if that charge holds up, i'd lose my respect for that dude