Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

Lucian Bute may've gotten lucky last night:

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/8716566/Bute-retains-IBF-super-middleweight-title

Bute, fighting in his hometown, dominated the first 11 rounds, but was hit hard several times in the 12th and seemed both groggy and exhausted. After falling to the canvas, he could barely remain standing in a corner as referee Marlon Wright gave him a standing eight count. He was saved by the bell as the fight ended.

Wright gave 28-year-old Bute some extra time by ordering Andrade to a neutral corner for the count.

That second thing may be :bsflag: As for the first, I thought fighters couldn't be saved by the bell in ANY round??

They can't be saved by the bell in any round. When Bute went down, the ref told Andrade to go to his corner. When the ref got his count up to 6, he looked over at Andrade and he appeared maybe 1-2 feet away from the corner. Then the ref turned and started yelling about 4 times for Andrade to get back in the corner. This gave Bute the time he needed to recover. The ref then continued his count starting at 6. Normally, someone is at ringside counting with the ref, so the ref knows where to continue if interrupted. Bute definitely got a gift from a hometown ref. He was winning the entire fight and ran out of gas and should have been knocked out by Andrade. Bute said he would fight him again, but I doubt it unless the money is too much too resist. He got beat in his hometown and got some home cooking from the ref. Would I pay to see this fight? NO!!! BUTE is overrated.

Edited by ksun247

i don't think Bute is overrated, he clearly won 10 out of the 12 rounds of that fight. it was pretty one sided, he just ran out of gas

Andrade did get robbed, how they allowed a canadian ref to work that fight is beyond me. that was the definition of hometown cooking

big fight on showtime tonight:

Cristian Mijares vs. Vic Darchinyan, also on the card is super middleweight prospect Andre Dirrell

Mijares is one of the better boxers in the sport, while Vic is more a brawler with some good power. Vic's been outboxed and KO'd before when he fought a better boxer in Nonito Donaire. i don't think Mijares will stop him, but he'll win enough rounds for a clear decision

Lamont Peterson won a PPV bout :)

I had fun last night: I was at the Patriot Center card (Jimmy Lange vs. Grover Wiley: VERY good fight won by Lange via UD), and Henry "Discombobulating" Jones, who was doing the ring announcing (REAL nice guy BTW; I've met him before, and would recommend is autobiography "More Than a Notion!") was able to get me to get a picture and autograph of possibly my favorite current boxer (apologies if you can't tell who it is; cell cameras kind of suck sometimes, but here are a few hints)

punisherpg5.jpg

big fight on showtime tonight:

Cristian Mijares vs. Vic Darchinyan, also on the card is super middleweight prospect Andre Dirrell

Mijares is one of the better boxers in the sport, while Vic is more a brawler with some good power. Vic's been outboxed and KO'd before when he fought a better boxer in Nonito Donaire. i don't think Mijares will stop him, but he'll win enough rounds for a clear decision

Vic whipped his azz from bell to bell until knocking Cristian out somewhere around the 9th or 10th. Darchinyan said he would shut the Mijares home-crowd up early and pummel the Mexican and he did just that. Wow... That was a truly one-sided affair.

Vic whipped his azz from bell to bell until knocking Cristian out somewhere around the 9th or 10th. Darchinyan said he would shut the Mijares home-crowd up early and pummel the Mexican and he did just that. Wow... That was a truly one-sided affair.

i'm just glad i didn't lay any $$$ on Mijares. that dude looked lost in there. i don't think he ever recovered from that uppercut that laid him out in the 1st. great performance by Vic, he should rematch Donaire and try to avenge his only loss. Mijares never used his reach or height, he fought small even though he was the bigger fighter.

on another note, Andre Dirrell has some of the fastest hands i've seen at super middleweight, he's a pretty good prospect

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I love boxing, this shows how ridiculous it can get sometimes :doh:

http://boxingalongthebeltway.blogspot.com/2008/11/lpeterson-receives-interim-world-title.html

Fightnews.com Publisher/Editor-in-Chief Karl Freitag is reporting that the WBO has approved an interim world junior welterweight title bout that will feature undefeated DC junior welterweight Lamont Peterson.

During this afternoon's session of the WBO's annual convention in Fort Lauderdale, FL (where Freitag is doing a live blog), the WBO approved a bout between #4 ranked Peterson (26-0, 12 KO's) and #1 ranked Willy Blain of Germany (19-0, three KO's). Negotiations are expected to start immediately.

Here's where things get a little confusing. There is a title bout rubber match between WBO Junior Welterweight champ Kendall Holt and challenger Ricardo Torres that was slated for December 13 in Atlantic City, NJ. I've been in contact with Freitag and he says that bout is still on. The winner of this bout is slated to unify a portion of the title against WBC titleholder Timothy Bradley.

The interim title bout, according to Freitag, is being put together for Blain primarily because Holt and Torres have been battling over the WBO title for almost a year while Blain has been sitting at number one for almost that entire time.

after another dominating victory for the punisher, the list of fighters avoiding him like the plague will double
They can't avoid him forever, can they? I LOVE how Punisher is willing to take on anyone, anywhere, at any weight :applause:

I HATE how Margarito is fighting Mosley, yet avoids Paul (which would be a bigger payday). How does the coward get the big fight, while the dude who'll take on anyone gets screwed :mad:

Go Punisher!

another dominating win for the Punisher, depsite suffering a nasty cut in the first round as result of a headbutt.

Williams' body work was impressive, he essentially made Phillips quit on his stool. Verno's a tough dude, hadn't been stopped in 20yrs, yet Paul made him quit.

Margarito needs to man up and sign the contract

• 2 weeks later...

Wlad vs. Rahman for the titles on HBO this afternoon.

Holt vs. Demetrius Hopkins (B-Hop's nephew) tonight on Showtime. Was supposed to be the Holt-Torres rubber match, but Torres pulled out for some reason.

I would love to see boxing come back to prominence because the MMA is a joke now IMO. It's become a bore fest due to the fact that too many matches are decided on the floor via submission.

its called MIXED Martial Arts for a reason. if you don't like the ground game, stick to Boxing or K-1

Torres' reason for pulling out sounds rather suspect. i hope Holt blasts Hopkins, i still can't get over the fact that Stevie Forbes schooled that man for 12 rounds and was robbed of a decision

Rahman is the Zab Judah of the HW division. never wins a meaningful fight (outside of the one shot vs. Lennox), yet is constantly given more opportunities. it'll be a success for Rahman if he manages not to go through the ropes when Wlad KO's him

Edited by StillUnknown

Rahman is a BUM. His claim to fame is the KO of Lennox Lewis, but he got whupped in the rematch. I hope he at least puts up a fight, unlike tony thompson. Vlad is the best heavyweight out there, but he got a glass jaw and doesn't show heart if you are aggressive. His brother Vitali has a better chin and more heart. Just isn't as talented. Hope for a good fight, but I doubt it. But you never know.

Paul Williams vs. Winky Wright?

I talked to someone who said he didn't like this for Paul because of Winky's jab. I've never seen Winky fight, but according to Boxrec, Paul's reach is 10 inches longer. He could IMO just use that. Thoughts?

BTW, Holyfield went the distance vs. Valuev (but lost). Credit to Evander, or does Valuev suck, or both?

Edited by ACW
Paul Williams vs. Winky Wright?

I talked to someone who said he didn't like this for Paul because of Winky's jab. I've never seen Winky fight, but according to Boxrec, Paul's reach is 10 inches longer. He could IMO just use that. Thoughts?

BTW, Holyfield went the distance vs. Valuev (but lost). Credit to Evander, or does Valuev suck, or both?

Paul has the reach but doesn't use it as much as he should. its one thing to be tall and have the reach, but you have to use it. he sacrifices his reach by fighting inside alot, even though he's good at it, its not always the best strategy. i'd stay away from Winky if i was Paul, there are bigger money fights for him, and its impossible to look good against Winky. i think Paul would win on activity alone because winky doesn't throw many punches, but it would be an ugly fight

Holyfield should've got the decision. i scored the fight for holyfield he faded late, but won enough early rounds to get a decision in my opinion. Credit to Evander, but it says more about Valuev and the sad state of affairs that is the HW division in boxing:doh:

Edited by StillUnknown