Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

all three prospects looked great on the HBO card.

in the 2nd of the 3 fights Angulo put an absolute beating on Andrey Tsurkan, who refused to go down. the ref, Tsurkan's cornermen, & the fight doctor should all be suspended for allowing Tsurkan to take a beating like that.

the fight was one sided and should've been stopped due to accumulation of damage around round 6 or 7, but they kept sending Tsurkan back out for more punishment. the last couple of rounds of that fight were like watching an execution, i did not enjoy watching the last 3 rounds of that fight.

no excuse whatsoever for the ref, Tsurkan's corner, or the fight doc for allowing that fight to continue. i hope Tsurkan is ok, but i can almost guarantee that beating will have long lasting impact on his health.

a couple of pretty big fights tonight on Showtime:

Vitali Klitschko vs. Sam Peter

Chad Dawson vs. Antonio Tarver

Vitali is coming off a 4 year layoff (yet somehow gets a title shot........gotta love boxing politics), and Peter is coming off a good showing against Oleg Maskaev. Before he retired, Vitali was probably the best HW. he has great power, a damn good chin, and pretty good technique. unfortunately his heart can be suspect at times. Peter can KO anyone in the world if he hits them flush, and his technique has improved over his last few fights. Peter is probably the most exciting HW out there in terms of always looking for the KO. Vitali should be able to outbox him, but i think that 4 year layoff will be his downfall in this match. his conditioning was never great to begin with, 4 years off won't help that. Peter will win by TKO late in the fight

Dawson vs. Tarver is old school versus the new blood. I don't particularly like Tarver, for some reason he irritates the hell outta me. both showed up in great shape. Dawson has all the makings of headlining attraction that Boxing really needs right now. he has great speed for a LHW and throws fluid and accurate combinations, his chin can be checked though, as he's been down in a couple of his fights. i'm thinking he'll come out and put alot of pressure Tarver with his handspeed and combinations. If Tarver still has enough in the tank to time and counter Dawson, he'll be able to put him down. i'm picking Dawson by Unanimous Decision

Edited by StillUnknown

its a damn shame a fighter can come in off a 4year layoff and completely dominate a "champion" and make him quit on his stool

i'm not sure if this says more about Vitali Klitchko or the sad damn state of the HW division of boxing.

now we'll never see a unification since the Klitchko brothers obviously won't fight each other

klitschkoTKOpeter2.jpgklitschkoTKOpeter4.jpg

Edited by StillUnknown

I'll be at a local show tomorrow, but big fight between a 43-years-old-but-can-still-fight B-Hop and a 26-year-old dominating Pavlik.

Interesting connection between the two:

-B-Hop was the first to unify all 4 titles of any weightclass, while the man who beat him, Jermaine Taylor, suffered his first loss at the hands of Pavlik.

i don't see many people buying that PPV. i can't remember the last time B-Hop was in an exciting fight.

Pavlik should win, only question is whether he'll stop B-Hop or not. Hopkins doesn't throw enough punches anymore to win enough rounds for a decision, he can be beat on workrate alone (see the Calzaghe fight)

So true. Still a pretty damn impressive feat though (he also preceded Floyd on the Ring pound-for-pound list).

Yeah, I have to admit- I only called him a "tough Philly fighter" until he dismantled Tito Trinidad. That fight cemented him in history and he's taught lessons to the best for years since. He's so annoying to watch because I want him to lose but he never really "loses" a fight. Tough guy with great defense. 4 belts is impressive, even if the fact that 4 belts exist isn't.

Yeah, I have to admit- I only called him a "tough Philly fighter" until he dismantled Tito Trinidad. That fight cemented him in history and he's taught lessons to the best for years since. He's so annoying to watch because I want him to lose but he never really "loses" a fight. Tough guy with great defense. 4 belts is impressive, even if the fact that 4 belts exist isn't.

i completely agree with this, i keep waiting for B-Hop not just to lose, but to lose in a brutal fashion, but i never happens

Williams-Phillips clash set!

Promoter Dan Goossen will announce on Wednesday a showdown between WBO welterweight champ Paul "The Punisher" Williams and IBF junior middleweight champ Verno Phillips, expected to take place on November 29th at the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, California. The bout, which will be for the WBO interim 154lb title, will be Williams' second consecutive bout outside the welterweight division. In the co-feature, unbeaten heavyweight Cristobal "The Nightmare" Arreola takes on Travis Walker. Both bouts will be shown on HBO.

looks like the punisher is making good on his goal of competing at 147, 154, & 160

it was rumored that he would fight Clottey on that date in Nov, but HBO couldn't fit Clottey into the rest of their budget for the year, Phillips is much cheaper

if Paul handles business like he should, he'll probably end up fighting Clottey early next year since it appears Margarito does not want to the punisher

Edited by StillUnknown