Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Shane got outboxed clean some rounds by Miguel Cotto. Cotto is a great fighter, but he's nowhere near the technician that Floyd is.

boxing is all about styles....match ups match ups match ups....come on still...you know that!

Floyd would have fought Cotto the same way Manny did....counter punch a slower fighter who is coming on the offensive until you shell shock him..then go in for the kill.

Shane is not the counter puncher/defensive technician Floyd is....he tried to go in there and beat cotto at his own game....I also believe that fight was one of Cotto's best ever.

i also go back to the fact that Shane has been at his most vulnerable against defensive minded technicians (Winky Wright & Vernon Forrest to be specific).

Winky and Vernon are naturally bigger fights than Shane (if I remember correctly) they both proved to have styles that Shane couldn't beat.

difference between Winky and Floyd is size and winky is much more proven...he has pretty much taken all comers. Vernon is was much more aggressive than I suspect Floyd will be. Mosley is also one of those fighters who peaks late (Hopkins) and is a much better fighter now than he was when he lost to those two fighters.

i just don't think he's improved enough to handle someone he'll have trouble hitting

he will more than likely have trouble landing clean scoring shots in the beginning. But after taking shots to the shoulder and arms by a bigger man for 3 or 4 rounds....floyd will drop his guard. Did you see that fight Cotto had about 6 years ago where the guy quite because Cotto brutalized his shoulder soo bad?

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=AvOs39.LukN4JocI7lNLhsWUxLYF?slug=ki-floydshane012810&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

An announcement of a welterweight fight between unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr. and World Boxing Association champion Shane Mosley for May 1 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena is imminent.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer said Thursday that “all major deal points have been agreed upon” for the bout that is the biggest that can currently be made in boxing.

Schaefer had been working with Top Rank’s Bob Arum to put together a bout between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao in a match that would have pitted the top two fighters in the world.

When that match fell apart over a dispute over a drug testing protocol, Schaefer turned his attention to arranging a Mayweather-Mosley bout. While it doesn’t have quite the cachet of a Mayweather-Pacquiao bout, it still will pit the Nos. 2 and 3 ranked fighters in the most recent Yahoo! Sports ratings.

“I hope to have something to announce in the next few days,” Schaefer said.

Mosley has agreed to the Olympic-style random blood and urine testing that Pacquiao balked at and which eventually scuttled the bout. Mosley admitted in sworn grand jury testimony that he used two designer steroids, “The Cream” and “The Clear,” as well as EPO prior to a 2003 fight with Oscar De La Hoya. He alleges he took the substances unknowingly.

Mosley had been slated to fight World Boxing Council champion Andre Berto on Friday at Mandalay Bay, but that fight was canceled earlier this month. Berto is of Haitian descent and has much family in Haiti and felt he couldn’t properly prepare in the aftermath of the disastrous Jan. 12 earthquake in the island nation.

A news conference to kick off the Mayweather-Mosley fight will likely be held in New York, perhaps as early as next week.

glad to see this come together, its not as big as Mayweather/Pac, but its the 2nd biggest fight boxing could make right now

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24978

Another article stating the announcement will be soon.

By Mark Vester

An official announcement is almost here for the welterweight clash between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and WBA champion Shane Mosley. The fighters have agreed to all of the fine points, including the money. The fight will take place on May 1 at the MGM Grand. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told Yahoo Sports that “all major deal points have been agreed upon. I hope to have something to announce in the next few days."

Boxing scribe Kevin Iole reports that a press conference to officially announce the fight may take place in New York as early as next week.

My boxing instructor just took a fight on short notice, next Friday on Espn 2 in Miami.

He is fighting a silver medalist from the 2004 Olympics, who is trying to make a run at Pavlik.

Go Beaupierre! I may be driving down to see it live.

Edited by McD5

Floyd has alot of critics to shut up and Shane is one of them. This should be a good fight with Shane getting knocked out in the 10th round. If I can't have Pac-Mayweather, I guess this is the next best thing.

:helmet:

I could understand how someone would think Floyd is going to win a close decision...but knock Shane out? Really?

Floyd has only knocked one opponent out in the last 4 years, and that was a much smaller, less skilled Ricky Hatton.

Shane has never been knocked out.....what makes you think a welterweight with inferior power is going to knock out a bigger man who has never been knocked out before?

Glen Johnson vs. Yusuf Mack in a Light Heavyweight title eliminator on ESPN 2 tonight at 10pm(est)

also on the card, Guillermo Rigondeaux, one of boxing's premier prospects. 2x olympic gold medalist who defected from cuba not too long ago. he's 29yrs old, so they're planning on fast tracking him to a title. tonight will just be his 5th pro fight, but if he wins, there's a chance he fights 126lb champ Celestino Caballero in April on HBO

Glen Johnson vs. Yusuf Mack in a Light Heavyweight title eliminator on ESPN 2 tonight at 10pm(est)

also on the card, Guillermo Rigondeaux, one of boxing's premier prospects. 2x olympic gold medalist who defected from cuba not too long ago. he's 29yrs old, so they're planning on fast tracking him to a title. tonight will just be his 5th pro fight, but if he wins, there's a chance he fights 126lb champ Celestino Caballero in April on HBO

One of my boxing coaches is fighting on that card tonight, Dorian Beaupierre.

I just hope they show the fight live.

He is fighting an olmpic silver medalist.

Good lord.

Body punch knockout.

That didn't take long.

And a body punch hurts Dorian too.:doh:

makes note: don't take a fight against an olympic silver medalist on ten days of notice.

Edited by McD5

• 3 weeks later...
I could understand how someone would think Floyd is going to win a close decision...but knock Shane out? Really?

Floyd has only knocked one opponent out in the last 4 years, and that was a much smaller, less skilled Ricky Hatton.

Shane has never been knocked out.....what makes you think a welterweight with inferior power is going to knock out a bigger man who has never been knocked out before?

True Sugar has never been knocked out but he's been knocked down. So he can fall and he will fall to Mayweather. Don't underestimate the power of Mayweather.

True Sugar has never been knocked out but he's been knocked down. So he can fall and he will fall to Mayweather. Don't underestimate the power of Mayweather.

If Antonio Margarito, Fernando Vargas, and Oscar de la Hoya couldn't knock out Shane, I doubt Mayweather will.