Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this wrong?

Zguy28

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

So who would be offended or even care if someone brought cupcakes representative of the Jewish, Muslim, Bhuddist or any other religions? I wouldn't be. I think it's a good thing to have our children exposed to different cultures and ideas. How else are they going to get along and accept others when they are no longer protected by the pc police and the reality that people have different ideas and beliefs slaps them in the head. Seperation of Church and State doesn't mandate that the state prevent kids from sharing their ideas and beliefs. Quite the opposite, in my opinion. The state isn't endorsing any one religion by allowing kids to bring religious themed deserts to school. This is just stupidity run amuk.

Is it me or are people ignoring a really simple solution?

Just take a knife and scrape off (or deform until unrecognizable) the trees or stockings and let them eat (cup)cake.

Sheesh. They're kids, they don't care what's on them.

That's what I was thinking. This world gets more and more rediculous by the minute. :doh: Mankind is going down a hellhole. Can't say, can't do, can't think, can't have an opinion, can't like, can't dislike for fear that someone might get their widdle feelings hurt. My goodness society has gotten out of hand anymore. Makes me want to leave it and buy a cabin on the top of a mountain and only come down once a month for supplies.

Completely wrong. I'd pull my kid out of that teachers class in a heartbeat. No way my kids are being taught by some intolerant freak. It's one thing to acknowledge differences and another entirely to make people feel wrong for celebrating their holidays.

So who would be offended or even care if someone brought cupcakes representative of the Jewish, Muslim, Bhuddist or any other religions? I wouldn't be. I think it's a good thing to have our children exposed to different cultures and ideas. How else are they going to get along and accept others when they are no longer protected by the pc police and the reality that people have different ideas and beliefs slaps them in the head. Seperation of Church and State doesn't mandate that the state prevent kids from sharing their ideas and beliefs. Quite the opposite, in my opinion. The state isn't endorsing any one religion by allowing kids to bring religious themed deserts to school. This is just stupidity run amuk.

Agreed. I'd eat a cupcake with a Menorah on it. Or whatever symbols other religions have. A cupcake, is a cupcake, is a cupcake and like some have said, most kids could give a crap as long as the cupcake was tasty.

So we as a country are supposed to be tolerant of a violent criminal because well it's their situation that made them do it or it's a video game that made them do it

but somehow we are super vigilant about cupcakes with trees and candy canes on them?

Got it.

It was trees and stockings. Not candy canes. Get it right.:silly:
Actually this thread ties more into the thread that discussed whether or not the Christmas tree was actually a Christian icon or symbol.

I think a lot of people said it wasn't. That's what makes it even more ridiculous.

Completely wrong. I'd pull my kid out of that teachers class in a heartbeat. No way my kids are being taught by some intolerant freak. It's one thing to acknowledge differences and another entirely to make people feel wrong for celebrating their holidays.
The mom was just more surprised than anything. She took them back home and didn't really seem to care too much. Only reason she told my brother-in-law was because it seemed so ridiculous.

Actually this thread ties more into the thread that discussed whether or not the Christmas tree was actually a Christian icon or symbol.

I think a lot of people said it wasn't. That's what makes it even more ridiculous.

I don't think they are religious symbols at all either, but Christmas is viewed as a Christian holiday, so the symbols are associated by default.

Well, "freak" eh? Seem to be a bit uncharacteristically intolerant Des, especially being the season and all :)

I wonder about the circumstances, responding to Z's story. He’s getting a hearsay report from a party who was certainly affected by the event. I'm not insinuating anything, just noting facts. None of us know what’s going on at that school. Were there some related recent problems at the school? Was some memo recently sent out that influenced the teacher to feel particularly (excessively?) vigilant? Was it a new teacher?

I think refusal of the cupcakes seems like a dumb over-reaction to me, but I don't know that anyone should be all that disturbed by it. It's just cupcakes, right? That sword should cut both ways on the matter. :) .

As far as immediately hanging the teacher over it, I don't see much thought behind such reactions. What's the policy? Did the community has a say? Did the teacher make it up, or interpret it, automonously? Were I actually a concerned parent, or citizen, I would be asking for more information and I would honestly listen for a rationale if there was one. Who knows, maybe they would say something that would make me re-consider my opinion that cupcakes should be fine. :D

Like I said, I don't think what the school/teacher did was necessary, however:

Imagine your kid comes home and says that someone brought in Matza and Gefltefish (sp) for everyone, but he couldn't eat it b/c he wasn't Jewish. And so everyone made fun of him.

I don't think they are religious symbols at all either, but Christmas is viewed as a Christian holiday, so the symbols are associated by default.

I dont understand how Christmas is viewed as a Christian holiday. Man created it just to boost the economy just before the end of the year.

I voted yes...b/c no child in America should be denied these little round pieces of iced heaven! The "sugar high" lasts for hours and what Kindergarten teacher wouldn't appreciate a room full of kids on a sugar high!:D

Seriously, tho..I think folks have gone overboard w/the PC thing when it comes to cupcakes. I bet if you put a .357 magnum deco..the teacher would have been "cool" w/it:) :silly: ( I keed..I keed)

Like I said, I don't think what the school/teacher did was necessary, however:

Imagine your kid comes home and says that someone brought in Matza and Gefltefish (sp) for everyone, but he couldn't eat it b/c he wasn't Jewish. And so everyone made fun of him.

I don't think that is analogous.

Nobody was singled out. The cupcakes were just cupcakes. One for each kid.

And the tree itself was actually stolen from Paganism to make pagans more comfortable with Christianity.
And one of the reasons it was chosen to take place in December was that people were already off of work for Saturnalia. So they could celebrate without worrying about having to work.

Its highly unlikely that shepherds were watching their flocks by night in the dead of winter.:2cents:

Archived