Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ghostface, Jay-Z or Lupe

Jaron

You ever heard Murs 3:16- 9th edition? It's pretty good...I actually saw LB open for J-Live a 4?5? years ago. The getback is the kinda weak...I'm a big Illmind fan. Have you heard of Kev Brown and/or Oddisee? They're both a couple local guys. Kev Brown is a great producer. Oddisee raps and produces....Jazzy Jeff I think produced his last album/mixtape- foot in the door. That talib album was pretty good....

Im not at all farmiliar with Murs, Kev Brown or Oddisee I will have to look into those. Thanks for the Getback review I suppose I'll dowload it just to say I heard it but you are actually the second person today that told me it was not all that good. Like I said some of my friends liked it but I guess I'll have to judge for myself. :cheers:

Im not at all farmiliar with Murs, Kev Brown or Oddisee I will have to look into those. Thanks for the Getback review I suppose I'll dowload it just to say I heard it but you are actually the second person today that told me it was not all that good. Like I said some of my friends liked it but I guess I'll have to judge for myself. :cheers:

It has a few good tracks on it. At this point I feel LB isnt that great. I think Big Pooh is terrible but Phonte is AMAZING. A lot of their earlier stuff is good...some tracks that appeared on their first ep and mixtapes.

Elzhi & Phonte are probably my favorite two out there at this point...

What do you use to download?

I doubt he even listened to it...

yeah, damn shame too

I know I used to act like that too. I though all hip hop was like souljaboy for example, dumbed down garbage (like Lupe Fiasco alludes to) I am so glad I wasn't closed minded enough to completely ignore a whole genre.

Great hip hop is hard to beat, powerful, inspiring, and exciting

tracks 3-14 on The Cool........

best stretch of songs out of ANY artist that I've heard in a long time.

Mainstream rap nowadays sucks a fat one anyways. Which is why I prefer Lupe. He's underrated and really doesn't want to be put into that category b/c he feels he's better than that (Listen to "Dumb it Down" for what he really thinks about mainstream rap) . And he is, his lyrics don't consist of curse words, save "n-word", and sometimes damn, but never anything harsh. He doesn't rap about money, cars and clothes, hos, thug life, or whatever all these other fake ass rappers do now. His lyrics consist of a variety of things, ranging from love (Listen to "Paris, Tokyo") to political issues such as the war (Listen to "Little Weapon"). He's a great artists and deserves more credit than he gets.

Yes but Nas' Illmatic is about life on the streets and it is bar none a top 10 rap album ever. It's ok to rap about it when you put the emotion into it that Nas did. You could really tell he meant it and the imagery was outstanding. That and the fact that he actually lived that life in his teenage years unlike the southern crap and now sadly the NYC crap of today.

Lupe gets caught up in trying to portray his image a little too much at times. Sometimes he goes abstract just for the sake of being abstract. Lyrically he is one of the best to come out in awhile, but his albums don't have much replay value to me in total. While certain tracks from his albums have high replay value, his albums as a whole don't in my opinion.

yeah, damn shame too

I know I used to act like that too. I though all hip hop was like souljaboy for example, dumbed down garbage (like Lupe Fiasco alludes to) I am so glad I wasn't closed minded enough to completely ignore a whole genre.

Great hip hop is hard to beat, powerful, inspiring, and exciting

I couldnt agree more...it shoulnt be this hard to find though!

I just listened to Lupe's "The Cool" in its entirety again and its even sicker than the first time I heard it. This is what rap is supposed to be like. I hate all that mainstream ****.

exactly, he's my fav. artist. I have all his mistapes and stuff and he's a beast. He's bringing back hip-hop. Mainstream rap sucks ass!

None of the above...Mainstream Hip Hop is dead.

another clown that only follows mainstream CRAP!

If you actually listened to Lupe, or Ghostface you will realize that they DON'T WANT TO BE put into the mainstream rap category.

It's a shame you fell into the trap like the rest of the idiots who think rap is all about money, hos, cars and clothes b/c they don't listen to REAL hip hop such as Lupe, Common, Talib, Ghostface, etc.

another clown that only follows mainstream CRAP!

If you actually listened to Lupe, or Ghostface you will realize that they DON'T WANT TO BE put into the mainstream rap category.

It's a shame you fell into the trap like the rest of the idiots who think rap is all about money, hos, cars and clothes b/c they don't listen to REAL hip hop such as Lupe, Common, Talib, Ghostface, etc.

Actually "CLOWN"...YOU assumed to much by my post.

One: When and where did I say I am a fan of Mainstream? I merely said it was dead...and Rap IS about Ho's and Clothes....while Hip Hop is about lyrical rhymes

Two: To me...Jay Z, Ghostface ARE Mainstream (whether they or YOU want them to be or not)....AND it ISNT "Real Hip Hop"...Its RAP. What does Jay Z "Rap" about? Money...and material things...well that equals RAP. The only exception here is Lupe...but that doesnt mean I have to like his style...just because YOU have a man crush on him.

There use to be a time, when there was good Mainstream Hip Hop. But that era is over...Now the only good Hip Hop is Underground...stuff you would NEVER hear on your local Rap station (MF DOOM, Del, El-P, Etc...)

But being that I have been a fan of real Hip Hop for longer then you have graced this earth with your assuming self...I think its safe to say there is nothing YOU could tell ME about it.

See...I grew up with "REAL" Hip Hop..Not this "Rap" you listen to. (Boogie Down Productions, Run DMC, Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, Black Moon, Eric B. & Rakim, De La Soul, EPMD, Showbiz & AG, Tribe Called Quest, The Artifacts, Afrika Bambaataa...and so on...)

So work on your reading comprehension, and get your mind out the gutter...educate yourself on the difference between "RAP" and "Hip Hop".....CLOWN

For fans of the underground stuff the newest album from Jedi Mind Tricks presents Army of the Pharaohs (Ritual of Battle) is worth a listen. It is a who is who of underground hip hop. Guys like Demoz, Planetary, Esoteric, Reef the Lost Cause and Celph Titled all appear on the tracks. Worth the download instant classic i love AOTP and JMT...

JAY-*******Z! Have you heard "My Name Is Hov"? ("This is what I do to protect us/Shoot at you actors like movie directors"...Lyrical brilliance) OR his verse on 50 cent's "If I Can't Remix"? ("I tried to be modest/But y'all don't respect modest/Y'all respect my dollars...He just comes out and says it, I try to give you "REAL Hip-Hop" but that's not you want to hear...He has another line in this verse that says "I can't do numbers like the Roots"...He acknowledges that what he's doing is not Hip-Hop in it's purest form but he wants to be played on the radio and wants ppl to buy his albums) If you listen close and understand english, Jay-Z is always droppin gems

I had "Iron Man" back in the day, I believe this was GFK's first solo LP...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...Has GFK had anything in between that and this new one? How many albums has Lupe put out?

I'd say Jay-Z over GFK, but how can you even put Lupe in the same sentence? Whoopty doo, he has a great first album...what next?

Nice to see some hip-hop appreciation in here.

I'm always trying to get my brother to listen to stuff, but he's stuck on Jay-Z and other radio garbage.

Lately I've been listening to Zion I, Binary Star, and sicknature.

You gotta get some Little Brother in your rotation as well. Jay-Z is one of my favorites. I wish I had his business acumen.

I forgot that the OP was asking ppl which CD to listen to first...however, Jay-Z is clearly the better lyricist out of the three...Let's start a debate...You say who you think is the better lyricist, provide a line and then analyze it

"My name is Hov/H to the O V/I used to move snowflakes by the O-Z/I guess even back then you could call me/CEO of the R-O-C"

Good stuff, he used to move coke by the ounce, so even back then you could call him CEO of the r-o-c, comparing Rocafella records to rock like crack rock...kinda clever if you ask me...I know I could have chosen better, I have move but this one came to mind first

Archived