Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Betts or Portis?

the1toask

Portis is a slightly better back than Betts...B/c of his heart and blocking...CP leaves it on the field when he plays...

IMHO slightly better isn't worth 5x's or what ever it is the pay...As much as we ALL love CP you have to admit he is a prima donna in that he doesn't like to work(practice, off-season) and that selfishness has hurt the team this yr in that it has taken him more than half the season to get in shape...I am willing to bet that if we were to give Betts 20 to 25 carries he would not end up with 50yds...He can wear defenses down and he is decisive when he runs...With the state that our Oline is in now that would help them and the offense as a whole the most...

wow, your post is completely mind boggling. true, portis did not want to play in preseason games, nobody wants to play in them; but to say that "he doesn't like to work (practice, off-season)" and to call him selfish is way off base. the guy was injured in the preseason. he is probably the most selfless player on that field week in and week out. he sacrifices himself every play.

further more, betts is not a "wear them down" back. betts pitter pats around the line of scrimmage and goes down on first contact every play. last year he didn't wear down defenses, samuels dockery rabach thomas and janson wore down the defenses. betts merely benefited from a dominant and punishing line.

get over the betts kick people, he's nothing more than a good back up running back.

Guest Rafterman
oh no, you dont agree with this thread, so it must be stupid....

Get real. There are more then a handful of people that think Betts is capable doing the same thing Portis does, for half the price.

:applause:

More then a handful indeed.

What EXACTLY has Betts done THIS year to unseat CP?

With all due respect, I think this is more about what Portis has done to make people look for an alternative to CP.

Clinton's running has not been that productive lately -- and one can't blame everything on the offensive line.

To be sure, Portis is still a great blocker. However, when he's running the ball, he's just not doing very well at shaking off tacklers or creating long runs out of small opportunites. True, he's always run low to the ground, but now it seems like he's running slightly off-balance and gets taken down much more easily than in the past. Many fans I've talked to observe that CP is not making much yardage after that first opponent makes contact with him.

In short, it's CP's own performance over the last several games that has people thinking about a different RB.

As for Betts, I'm not sure if he's the answer. That's mainly because I haven't had many opportunites to see just how well Betts could perform with this year's less-than-stellar Redskins O-line.

Not sure on this one, but Portis has only been average since he got here. He is averaging only about 4yd s/carry over his Skins career and this year he is below that. I know he is excellent as a blocker but just wondering if we should turn this over to Betts! He was awesome down the stretch last year !

Betts or Portis?

They've both played well for us. I'd answer this question the same way I'd answer the question: "Blondes or Brunettes?"

BOTH, PLEASE! :laugh:

Rank Player Team Pos Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng

7 Clinton Portis WAS RB 255 19.6 956 3.7 73.5 7 32

25 Ladell Betts WAS RB 70 5.4 256 3.7 19.7 0 20

Hmmmmm...I wonder who has been the better back this year.

This is absurd!! Betts hasn't been given a chance. Take a look at last years stats then come and play !!

He couldn't block ME.

He couldn't find the goal line if he is inside the five even if he had a blood hound.

Please forgive me. I have no idea what I am talking about. I forgot that Betts scored a touchdown on one of the best plays of the game last week. ;)

Corrected that for you.

These threads are SO common but I guess I feel like playing tonight.

There is something to be said for a player (like Betts) needing reps to establish his "schwagadoccio." That's completely normal and probably very common. He got those reps when Portis went down and he proved his point in style. All that is is an upside for our team!

Clinton Portis is the RB we brought in to be our franchise player and even though our franchise isn't going the way we want it to, I don't think anyone can deny that CP is living up to his end of the bargain. In style.

You can't sit a talent like Portis and his leadership so why not just feel safe knowing that when he can't be on the field, a talent like Betts can. Taking reps from CP only stunts HIS game. When he's even 75% healthy, he's still a top 10 back.

This is absurd!! Betts hasn't been given a chance. Take a look at last years stats then come and play !!

CP had 7 touchdowns in 8 games last year.

Ladell had 4 touchdowns in 16 games last year.

Theres a reason he's not being given a chance. Anything else you wanna throw out there?

wow, your post is completely mind boggling. true, portis did not want to play in preseason games, nobody wants to play in them; but to say that "he doesn't like to work (practice, off-season)" and to call him selfish is way off base. the guy was injured in the preseason. he is probably the most selfless player on that field week in and week out. he sacrifices himself every play.

further more, betts is not a "wear them down" back. betts pitter pats around the line of scrimmage and goes down on first contact every play. last year he didn't wear down defenses, samuels dockery rabach thomas and janson wore down the defenses. betts merely benefited from a dominant and punishing line.

get over the betts kick people, he's nothing more than a good back up running back.

I didn't say anything about playing pre-season games...LT didn't play in the pre-season either BUT he did practice and took every rep in practice and by all accounts practiced very hard...B/c he knew he had a season to get ready for...So it is selfish on CP's part b/c he was only thinking of himself and not what his team needed, which was him out on the practice field taking reps, maintaining his conditioning, and getting in rhythm with the rest of the offense...

Tell me any other feature RB in the NFL that routinely pulls himself out of drives in games or after making a good run needs to take a breather...Portis' blocking and GL running are his best attributes, other than that his conditioning is sketchy at best, he doesn't catch the ball all that well and he lacks the extra gear and elusiveness that made him special in Denver...

I just feel that for all we have invested in Portis we aren't seeing the same amount of return...I'd rather cut bait and get similar production out of Betts and draft another RB or give Marcus Mason a shot...

CP had 7 touchdowns in 8 games last year.

Ladell had 4 touchdowns in 16 games last year.

Theres a reason he's not being given a chance. Anything else you wanna throw out there?

All I know is, he had two tries from the 1-yd line against the Giants and he failed. He had one try from the 1-yd line against the Bears and he failed.

Portis was a average back playing for a great running team(Denver) Champ Bailey should have neeeeeeever been traded for that idiot.

Worst move of Gibbs II IMO.

Oh ya i forget that running game in denver has never been the same and shahanan every year is looking for a RB. I forget that he was the only back in Shahanan's time as coach to have back to back 1500 yd seasons. Average.LOL

Champ was never coming back to this area. He had a scandal with a women in the area and wanted to leave. He even left on the table a 7 yr 65 million dollar deal..

The Redskins saw the chance and took it. I guess u forget about 5 straight 100 yd games in 2005.

:laugh:

Archived