Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Betts or Portis?

the1toask

and Portis hasn't shown that he is able to produce under a good o-line? What about the jets game or eagles game?

Neither are homerun hitters. But, the RB position is overrated. YOu build with the o-line. If you have a good o-line, anybody can average 1,000 yards under your line. See the hogs, vikings o-line of today.

All you need is a durable back. Neither are very durable. Betts finds a way into the endzone. Betts seems to fumble when we need him to play at his best. He cost us at least 2 games in 2006. Portis has cost us maybe 1.

I didn't say he couldn't produce under a good OL, I said Betts has shown us more recently that he can (2006 season). And the Jets this year had the worst running defense in the NFL and still may actually.

Look, I'm not calling for Portis's head but this is the 2nd season in a row that he hasn't been himself due to injury, shabby OL, or whatever.

I agree about building with the OL though. My point is that Portis often looks tired and/or injured mid-game whereas in 2004 and 2005 he was a workhorse. If he's still not durable next season then it would only be logical to trade him and draft a young back.

oh no, you dont agree with this thread, so it must be stupid....

Get real. There are more then a handful of people that think Betts is capable doing the same thing Portis does, for half the price.

Sorry he's right this thread is stupid and should be closed.If you want to talk Portis or Betts why don't you guys bump one of the other hundred threads about this.This is getting real stupid every week we have to have one of these threads.I mean it's not like we had Jasen and Randy out all year.:rolleyes: On top of that Wade, Rabach, Fabini and even Heyer have been hurt at some time this year.The hand full of people that think Betts is capable of running behind this o-line don't understand football.Sorry our RBs our getting hit behind the line and right at the line.Portis is the better back and will always be the better back.

This is how it is: younger fans will always stick by Portis no matter what, it seems. The guy has been average at best this year. Betts is a much better receiver than Portis ever will be. A RB who is good at receiving is a must in Al Saunders' offense. Portis is a good blocker, no doubt about it, but Betts has his strengths as well. Betts' strength is Portis' weakness and vice versa. To me, it's like this:

1. When it comes to blocking, Portis is much better. No comparison.

2. When it comes to rushing, I just can't tell who's better. Portis has been mediocre this year.

3. When it comes to receiving, Betts is much better. No comparison.

:applause: :applause:

If both backs were paid similiar money....it would be normal to have this question.

When one is paid 5x as much as the other--it simply isn't acceptable.

The contract of Portis kills this team. It hurts us in other areas. Time to accept failure......and move on.

Portis did have the same O-line as Betts last year and Betts was the much better back. Just look at the stats!

Portis played half the year he had 7 TDs and had a 4.1 ypc.Lets not forget he was also hurt.So I really don't know what your talking about.

:applause: :applause:

If both backs were paid similiar money....it would be normal to have this question.

When one is paid 5x as much as the other--it simply isn't acceptable.

The contract of Portis kills this team. It hurts us in other areas. Time to accept failure......and move on.

u mean MW salary is 6.5, Shawn Springs 7+, and Chris Samuels 6+ aren't hurting. Portis is the 4th highest paid player.

I'm surprised Betts hasn't had more carries this season with what he did last year in mind. Of course our O-line has been decimated by injuries. I can't fault anyone for that. It happens, it's football.

Portis is better overall. Betts is a better power runner up the middle but has nowhere near the blocking ability of Portis, the lateral movement, the ability to get around the corner or the ability to hold onto the football, either.

u mean MW salary is 6.5, Shawn Springs 7+, and Chris Samuels 6+ aren't hurting. Portis is the 4th highest paid player.

Samuels is a pro bowler. We have no one that can compete with him. Let alone, someone paid 1/5th of what he earns to do a similiar job.

Springs is elite.....He had two interceptions last week. Again, we have no one on the roster that can compete with him. Portis has never had two interceptions. He has however fumbled twice in one game, costing us the Tampa game among others.

MW is another overpaid player when compared to his current production. See Clinton Portis.

Final Note....Portis is due to make $8 million should we put our heads in the sand, and keep him next season. More than any of those figures above.

If you have someone that can produce at a level close to the starter, but at only 20% of the cost......then yes, that is wasted money that can be used better elsewhere.

Thread closed.

Samuels is a pro bowler. We have no one that can compete with him. Let alone, someone paid 1/5th of what he earns to do a similiar job.

Springs is elite.....He had two interceptions last week. Again, we have no one on the roster that can compete with him. Portis has never had two interceptions. He has however fumbled twice in one game, costing us the Tampa game among others.

MW is another overpaid player when compared to his current production. See Clinton Portis.

Final Note....Portis is due to make $8 million should we put our heads in the sand, and keep him next season. More than any of those figures above.

If you have someone that can produce at a level close to the starter, but at only 20% of the cost......then yes, that is wasted money that can be used better elsewhere.

Thread closed.

I stopped ready when I saw Springs and Elite.:laugh: Yeah right he is good, but elite give me a break.

Thread closed.

That reminds me, are you prepared to uphold your end of the bet?

Thread closed.

Are you gonna cry because your man crush cant get on the field. What happened to Betts and 1700 yds? :laugh:

betts is nothing more than a glorified lamont jordan. i like him, he's a good back up, but that's it. he was running behind a healthy dominant line last year. and this topic has been discussed way to much on this thread. the best use betts has for us is trade bait to new orleans next year so that they can have a back to keep bush healthy.

portis is struggling this year because the offensive line sucks and the play calling has been terrible.

stop the lunacy people.

Thread closed.

betts can't produce anywhere close to portis and never has, so what you are really saying is that we should trade betts to new orleans so that marcus mason can back up portis?

McD5, your lip has grown annoyingly ignorant on this stance all year long. go back to the eagles message boards if you love donavon so much to make your name a tribute to him.

Portis is a slightly better back than Betts...B/c of his heart and blocking...CP leaves it on the field when he plays...

IMHO slightly better isn't worth 5x's or what ever it is the pay...As much as we ALL love CP you have to admit he is a prima donna in that he doesn't like to work(practice, off-season) and that selfishness has hurt the team this yr in that it has taken him more than half the season to get in shape...I am willing to bet that if we were to give Betts 20 to 25 carries he would not end up with 50yds...He can wear defenses down and he is decisive when he runs...With the state that our Oline is in now that would help them and the offense as a whole the most...

Archived