Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Betts or Portis?

the1toask

Not sure on this one, but Portis has only been average since he got here. He is averaging only about 4yd s/carry over his Skins career and this year he is below that. I know he is excellent as a blocker but just wondering if we should turn this over to Betts! He was awesome down the stretch last year !

LOL!!!!!!!!! Betts has done nothing this year. The running game is shot because of the horrible oline

Lets at least be fair, Betts hasn't had an opportunity this year. I know last year after Portis got hurt, Betts averaged over a 1/2 yard per carry more. There may be something to that!

this trend comes up every two weeks. go look at previous trends and post there.

oh no, you dont agree with this thread, so it must be stupid....

Get real. There are more then a handful of people that think Betts is capable doing the same thing Portis does, for half the price.

DOn't bother. You see how Betts got tackled behind the LOS in the bears game. Yep, it isnt our RB situation. Its the o-line.

Betts doesn't break tackles either does Portis. THey can't break tackles when they get hit before they even cross the L.O.S..

This is how it is: younger fans will always stick by Portis no matter what, it seems. The guy has been average at best this year. Betts is a much better receiver than Portis ever will be. A RB who is good at receiving is a must in Al Saunders' offense. Portis is a good blocker, no doubt about it, but Betts has his strengths as well. Betts' strength is Portis' weakness and vice versa. To me, it's like this:

1. When it comes to blocking, Portis is much better. No comparison.

2. When it comes to rushing, I just can't tell who's better. Portis has been mediocre this year.

3. When it comes to receiving, Betts is much better. No comparison.

This is how it is: younger fans will always stick by Portis no matter what, it seems. The guy has been average at best this year. Betts is a much better receiver than Portis ever will be. A RB who is good at receiving is a must in Al Saunders' offense. Portis is a good blocker, no doubt about it, but Betts has his strengths as well. Betts' strength is Portis' weakness and vice versa. To me, it's like this:

2. When it comes to rushing, I just can't tell who's better. Portis has been mediocre this year.

What I learned about this board is, it's always a chain reaction, and most people follow the leader. Like, the first response of the thread, is usually what everybody will follow, or the majority will follow. I don't know why that is, but oh well.

Don't listen to these people bashing you.

The OL is a big factor but I think we need them to share the load until we get OL depth and everyone gets healthy (next year).

They're both good in different ways. I think Betts is a better downhill, explosive type of runner who can pick up 4-5 yards on 3rd down when we really need it and Portis is a very good goal line back and the best blocking back in the NFL.

I'll say this though, when we draft some OL guys and our current OL is healthy next season, if Portis can't get anything going we should consider trading him for some good draft picks.

This is the "what have you done for me lately" NFL and Betts has shown he can produce behind a good OL most recently. Again, I'm not ready to get rid of Portis but next year is his chance to show us what he has behind a healthy line and if he can't do it, we need to emotionally disconnect ourselves from the fact that he's our star player and the face of the Redskins and do what's best for the team.:2cents:

I don't care who is running it. Running games are predicated upon offensive lines and not RBs. I don't care who is running, if you are hit behind the line, you will usually go down because first priority is receiving the hand off.

It didn't really matter who was carrying in Minnesota because the offensive line is that good. The only thing Betts really does better than Portis is catch but I have seen Portis make nice catches and Betts has dropped them. The only thing I LIKE more about Betts is his salary cap hit.

Don't listen to these people bashing you.

The OL is a big factor but I think we need them to share the load until we get OL depth and everyone gets healthy (next year).

They're both good in different ways. I think Betts is a better downhill, explosive type of runner who can pick up 4-5 yards on 3rd down when we really need it and Portis is a very good goal line back and the best blocking back in the NFL.

I'll say this though, when we draft some OL guys and our current OL is healthy next season, if Portis can't get anything going we should consider trading him for some good draft picks.

This is the "what have you done for me lately" NFL and Betts has shown he can produce behind a good OL most recently. Again, I'm not ready to get rid of Portis but next year is his chance to show us what he has behind a healthy line and if he can't do it, we need to emotionally disconnect ourselves from the fact that he's our star player and the face of the Redskins and do what's best for the team.:2cents:

and Portis hasn't shown that he is able to produce under a good o-line? What about the jets game or eagles game?

Neither are homerun hitters. But, the RB position is overrated. YOu build with the o-line. If you have a good o-line, anybody can average 1,000 yards under your line. See the hogs, vikings o-line of today.

All you need is a durable back. Neither are very durable. Betts finds a way into the endzone. Betts seems to fumble when we need him to play at his best. He cost us at least 2 games in 2006. Portis has cost us maybe 1.

Agree

Portis has been mediocre most games but has been awesome in a couple. His problems have stemmed from bad blocking, but he can pick up yards even when the line is blocking just mediocre. Betts has had an awful year for the most part (a couple of good games make him look mediocre). Betts is a hole runner and has to wait for them to open up so when the line is doing its job, he does good, but when the line isn't up to the job, he gets hit in the backfield all the time. Portis is squirmy, he runs better when the line is doing its job, but he'll make a couple even if when the line fails. Portis is much better dealing with DBs. For some strange reason, people think Portis is a home run hitter; he is actually a slasher who can occasionally hit one out of the park.

Betts is only slightly better. He appears much better because there's very little sense to keep him in when you're passing.

Archived