Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Betts or Portis?

the1toask

I think we need to use both more often. I know Betts has fumblitis and Portis hasn't been much better this year but you have to think long term at this point. You don't want to keep beating Portis up (oline is awful right now) when it doesn't matter who is in there. Carries should go 50/50 right now just to protect Portis.

Portis, without a doubt. He will end up being the top rusher in Washington Redskins history when all is said and done. He will also break the 10,000 rushing mark in the next 2 seasons if all goes well. He is ranked 8th in the league this year with 956 yards rushing behind a line that has been injured all year. Next year after we fix our line problem there is no doubt in my mind that Portis will hit 1,500 again. He will be in the 1,000 yard club this year, and he is only a few hundred behind the leagues top rusher now. By a few hundred I mean 150 to 200 yards.

I would like to see the Redskins trade Betts for a good possession receiver, like Chad Johnson. With the relationship he has had with Marvin Lewis this year you never know if we could get him for that and a first rounder.

Some of you guys are so naive. Portis is the most overrated back in the league. His ability to break tackles in minimal. He needs blocking up front or is virtually useless. I am sick of hearing about the O line. A great back has the ability to create his own yards from nothing, 2 yds and a cloud of dust is hardly creative. His best talent is blocking. He is nothing but an average back who masqueraded as a great back in a Denver backfield that is well-known for turning Joe Blow into All-Pro. I can't say if Betts is the answer but it sure as hell ain't Portis! Only reason he plays is because he's Gibbs' pet.

Some of you guys are so naive. Portis is the most overrated back in the league. His ability to break tackles in minimal. He needs blocking up front or is virtually useless. I am sick of hearing about the O line. A great back has the ability to create his own yards from nothing, 2 yds and a cloud of dust is hardly creative. His best talent is blocking. He is nothing but an average back who masqueraded as a great back in a Denver backfield that is well-known for turning Joe Blow into All-Pro. I can't say if Betts is the answer but it sure as hell ain't Portis! Only reason he plays is because he's Gibbs' pet.

Oh oh --- you're gonna get it! Extreme Skins don't take too kindly to being called naive.

What instrument did you play in your high school marching band?

For the first time ever I am finding myself questioning portis's abilities out there. It is tough to say but he does not seem like he is a 100 percent or even close.

Maybe it is time for betts to get some carries.

Portis is still doing great blocking though, its a shame thats the only part of his game that is still sharp.

CP had 7 touchdowns in 8 games last year.

Ladell had 4 touchdowns in 16 games last year.

Theres a reason he's not being given a chance. Anything else you wanna throw out there?

Sure look at the yards/attempt. Total yards. Receptions. Betts had better all around stats. Betts did have 5 total TDs, Portis 7. Not much of a difference considering Portis has as many starts as Betts. How is that for throwing something out there.

I will tell what really bother me. Betts had a great year in 2006 and you are not willing to give him ANY credit - why is that?

If we keep both and upgrade the O line, we will be unstoppable, but we must keep and use both, loved the way collins used both of them as receivers.

But Portis and Betts are more than just receivers. They are both capable of racking up YAC.

As for the oline, without the injuries, our o-line is actually pretty darn good.

We are going to have pretty good depth in our oline next year.

Our real concern is the cornerback position and the d-line.

I agree...A little harsh! :laugh: But I agree...

This is a very good post. Look at the backs that have had success in Denver and have flopped when they left (see Rueben Droughns, Mike Anderson, etc.). I originally liked the trade for Portis, but I really like Betts better. Portis has not been a flop at all, but again I just think Betts is more versatile and a better back.

Betts needs to be integrated into our offense more and soon. I am not sayin he is the started because he isn't, but Portis has been awful the past two games beside one pass. In my opinion we have a two headed monster and we only use one of the heads which is really dumb of us. What I think should happen is Portis always starts the game and at the half if after 4 to 5 carries CP doesn't seem to be hitting his rhythm then we throw Betts in the game see how he fairs, if its the same then put CP back in, but atleast give Betts a shot. As far as Betts fumble this years goes the guy put the hat on the ball and I doubt any RB would have held on to that, and lets not forget Portis' great hands against the bucs. They are both good backs and both redskins I wish we would start to use them both.

I think the carries should go to about 60/40 CP : LB. CP is obviously not the back here he was in Denver, but they rarely ever are. I don't blame our lack of success running on CP, it's mostly due to the horrid health of our offensive line. That being said CP is being forced to take a lot of hits inside and isn't getting the space to elude tacklers. Spelling him more frequently with Betts should help his health and allow him to hit the few holes he sees with better burst and power. With how poorly our run blocking is it doesn't matter if we had LT and Barry Sanders they'd still be getting pounded. We might as well split some carries to keep everyone healthy and fresh.

Betts needs to be integrated into our offense more and soon. I am not sayin he is the started because he isn't, but Portis has been awful the past two games beside one pass. In my opinion we have a two headed monster and we only use one of the heads which is really dumb of us. What I think should happen is Portis always starts the game and at the half if after 4 to 5 carries CP doesn't seem to be hitting his rhythm then we throw Betts in the game see how he fairs, if its the same then put CP back in, but atleast give Betts a shot. As far as Betts fumble this years goes the guy put the hat on the ball and I doubt any RB would have held on to that, and lets not forget Portis' great hands against the bucs. They are both good backs and both redskins I wish we would start to use them both.

This will probably cause you trouble since it's me saying this, but I agree a split in carries would be good! Then a fair evaluation could be made for next year!

Jesus, again with this? Can we go one week without calling for someone's head based on that week's performance?

Portis is our starter-- he works his ass off every play, whether they call his number or not (despite what many on here say)-- and Betts is a great change-of-pace guy who excels in the short passing game.

No one can run well without a healthy and effective O-line-- something Portis hasn't seen here in a while

Head to head. Give me C.P.. He's a better back imho. He's a better blocker than Betts, (which is a definite plus), and better in the open field. Betts does hit the hole faster and harder than CP does these days, but that hasn't always been the case. C.P. finishes off a run every bit as well if not better than Betts and again, that's a good thing. C.P. may be the more expensive of the 2, but there's a reason for that. He's better than Betts imho.

Archived