Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here are my proposed rule changes for 2008

pgitta

#1. Consecutive time-outs called. 15-yard unsportsmanlike enforced on the ensuing kickoff. (since if a second timeout is not allowed, it cannot be called and play cannot stop)

#2. To balance absurd automatic first downs given offenses for defensive illegal contact, all offensive pass interference will now result in a loss of down.

#3. Penalties may no longer be combined. Example: If a team advances the ball 14 yards and the defense is flagged for illegal contact, they are to decide which they want, the 14 yards, or the 5 yards. They cannot have both.

#4. If tied after 4 quarters, overtime is simply a fifth 7 minute quarter with both teams getting the ball (if one scores and there is still time left)

#5. 55+ yard field goals = 4 points.

#6. Independant panel to review contoversial calls made by an official and empowered to award fines to the team damaged by said call.

Anything else?

I think they need to change the offensive false start penalty. It seemed to screw the Ravens in the monday game remember it was 4th and 1 the running back gets stoped, then they go back five yards and the pats pick up the first. I believe the defense should be able to chose since the play wasn't blown dead before the snap and they actually played the down.

#5. 55+ yard field goals = 4 points.

Steve Czaban? Is that you? j/k, he always tries making a case for a 4-pt shot in basketball.

Nice try I guess on the rules changes, but I don't really see a need for any of them, save for the loss of down on offensive pass interference.

1. Helmet to helmet contact should be legal accpet for quarterbacks and spearing Thats why they wear helmets.

2. Remove quarterbacks hit in the head rule with hands. If it is a blatant punch then the player should be ejected for fighting.

3. No contact after 5 yards is the worst rule change ever. Pass interference should subjeft to grabbing of jersey, face guarding and bumping the reciever all the way down the field.

4. Remove the touchdown celebration rule.

A 4 point field goal would not work. I think the rules are fine as it. The only things i would change is the stupid timeout right before fieldgoals. A review system for game changing Defensive Pass interference calls. Oh and Overtime. I like your idea for a changed overtime system. The College system would be fun to watch. A 7 minute OT would also have potential too. Just change it so that it doesnt come down to a coin toss!

The one rule I would want changed but it never will be is when the offense fumbles the ball near the sideline and the defense recovers it, but doesn't quite get possession of the ball before out-of-bounds, the offense retains the ball. The player *fumbled*... they should be punished. Switch it to lacrosse-like rules on the out of bounds line (whoever is closest to it) or *anything* but the system we have now.

1. All NFL refs are unamerican and should be take to Guantanimo Bay immediately especially Hochuli.

2. The NFL competition committee should be held accountable for the overall pussification of the game, and refund NFL season ticket holders their money for the last 10 seasons of flag football.

3. The Patriots smug attitude just pisses me off; i don't know how we can make a rule about it, but it had to be said.

4. THE NFC SOUTH IS NOT PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL AND SHOULD BE DISBANDED.

5. If you have to have a pirate ship to keep people interested in the game, fold the franchise.

6. And last but not least, move the endzone up twenty yards so we can get some TD's.

So...you think the league should seek to create MORE concussions. Interesting.

Somewhere Andre Waters is smiling...and attempting to take out someone's knees.

Umm Andre Waters is no longer alive :doh: . Although he was seen as a cheap shpt artist by many (including myself) I got to know him as he was my DB coach in college. While he was very demanding he was a decent guy who unfortunately had brain issues due to his aggressive play on the field. These issues made him extremly depressed and he took his own life. Very sad.

The only rule I would like to see go is the force out rule. If a defender makes a good play that causes an incompletion, the offense shouldn't be rewarded for it.

I never understood why that's even a rule.

Agree 100%. It is like having a rule that says the receiver would have held on to the ball if the defender had not knocked it out of his hand. I don't think there is a force out rule in college...wonder why there is one in the nfl.

Also agree with the "automatic first down" penalties. I think the only thing that should result in a first down is a penalty that moves the ball beyond the sticks. And if a personal foul is an automatic first down if the defense commits it, shouldn't it be a loss of down if the offense commits it?

And the intentional grounding penalty is not a penalty at all. The ball is placed at the spot of the foul(presumably where the qb was about to get sacked anyway)...why not back them up an additional 5 or so?

Fix how challenges are reviewed

By the time the on-the-field ref goes runs over to the sideline, ducks under the hood, and squints into the little 13" screen to figure out whether the call was right, the ref up in the booth could have already made the call looking at his 42 inch flat screen HiDef TV. Let the guy upstairs make the call, and have him call it down to the ref. They could review the challenges in half the time.

Timeouts cannot be called ahead of time like they are for making the kicker kick twice. If the coach is swift enough to call the timeout right as the ball is snapped, that's fine, but no calling the ref over ahead of time and telling him that you will have called a timeout just before the ball is snapped.

Get rid of that rule about not being able to advance a fumble on a kickoff return inside of 2 minutes or whatever. I don't remember what exactly the situation is, I just remember that it's a dumb rule.

these are more just funny ideas than serious suggestions:

Add the single point from Canadian Football but use the archaic scoring method where the point was subtracted from the other team's score rather than added to yours.

Make Punts live balls like Kickoffs.

I think they need to change the offensive false start penalty. It seemed to screw the Ravens in the monday game remember it was 4th and 1 the running back gets stoped, then they go back five yards and the pats pick up the first. I believe the defense should be able to chose since the play wasn't blown dead before the snap and they actually played the down.

i like this one for sure.

Archived