Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here are my proposed rule changes for 2008

pgitta

1. All NFL refs are unamerican and should be take to Guantanimo Bay immediately especially Hochuli.

2. The NFL competition committee should be held accountable for the overall pussification of the game, and refund NFL season ticket holders their money for the last 10 seasons of flag football.

3. The Patriots smug attitude just pisses me off; i don't know how we can make a rule about it, but it had to be said.

4. THE NFC SOUTH IS NOT PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL AND SHOULD BE DISBANDED.

5. If you have to have a pirate ship to keep people interested in the game, fold the franchise.

6. And last but not least, move the endzone up twenty yards so we can get some TD's.

LOL...:laugh:

HTST

HTTR

Umm Andre Waters is no longer alive :doh: . Although he was seen as a cheap shpt artist by many (including myself) I got to know him as he was my DB coach in college. While he was very demanding he was a decent guy who unfortunately had brain issues due to his aggressive play on the field. These issues made him extremly depressed and he took his own life. Very sad.

I know. That's why I said "somewhere."

In retropsect, the better joke would have been "Taking out Walter Payton's knees." Because he's dead too.

I think they need to change the offensive false start penalty. It seemed to screw the Ravens in the monday game remember it was 4th and 1 the running back gets stoped, then they go back five yards and the pats pick up the first. I believe the defense should be able to chose since the play wasn't blown dead before the snap and they actually played the down.

It is a false start for a reason, you cannot have a play before a start, no finishing before beginning so if you never begin whether the play occurs or not then you never finish the play. The rule is fine it is just an unfortunate thing sometimes if you actually get to see it happen.

As far as my opinion of bad rules, needing rules, etc.

1) No forceout rule, abolish this, it is an idiotic rule only to try to increase scoring in games. Defense is a beautiful thing.

2) No intentional grounding, I don't think there should be a penalty for a QB throwing the ball away, that is part of being a smart QB and knowing when to throw it and when not to. However, you need to allow the QB to be hit without so many penalties also.

3) The timeout thing with the kicking is fine IMO, honestly after kicking footballs for quite awhile I would like to have the extra oppurtunity to kick the ball. The timeouts really don't effect anything IMO, it has really only effected the outcome in 2 games this season so when there isn't much to talk about the media has to jump on something.

4) I would switch to the College Football Review rules.

5) Keep the current system for Overtime, the coin toss only defeats those who let it Defense is a beautiful thing, now PLAY IT!!!

6) Abolish the illegal contact penalty being an automatic 1st down, it is a bunch of crap, it takes away from route running skills and is only put in place to attempt to keep games higher scoring, what a crock.

7) Tuck rule, never heard of it until the Brady incident, obviously it should be a fumble, if you aren't throwing it then it is a fumble...period.

I think thats about it.....lets play some football!!!:cheers: :point2sky

One that's never called. Illegal hands to the face/facemask on ball carriers who try to stiff-arm the defender and get in their grill. It's never called and it's dangerous.

Push in the back on returns. Wussy call. Go back to the old clipping below the waist.

No more tuck rule. If the arm is going forward, incomplete. Otherwise it's a fumble.

Agree with getting rid of the blow to the head on the QB. Some defenders are trying to bat the pass down.

Pass interference should be 25 yard penalty. College has 15, so I figured the Pros should get 25.

Get rid of the "the receiver would've come down in bounds" crap. Catch it in bounds or nothing.

NO MORE SLIDING by the QB. You choose to become a ball carrier, pay the price. You never see a RB or WR going into a slide. You don't want to get hit, get rid of the ball. You want to scramble. Prepare to get hit.

Ban individual endzone celebrations like TO, Chad Johnson and such and bring back the team concept with the Fun Bunch, Dirty Bird and the Rams Bob n Weave. Team's can celebrate as long as they want, but the ref starts the playclock as soon as the ball is placed and does not have to wait for the team to finish celebrating.

For pass intereference penalties in the end zone, place the ball at the 5 yard line instead of at the 1 yard line, unless the team has the ball within the 20 yard line.

I am sick and tired of Hail Mary passes thrown from the 50 yard line resulting in pass interenference penalties and having the ball spotted at the 1 yard line and in essence an automatic touchdown.

What makes it worse is when a bad call by the Official gives the offense this gift. So make pass interference calls in the end zone reviewable. There is too big of a price to pay for a bad call by the Official.

So...you think the league should seek to create MORE concussions. Interesting.

Somewhere Andre Waters is smiling...and attempting to take out someone's knees.

No. Alot of players get concussions from hitting their head on the ground and Quarterbacks are most vulnerable to concussion. Helmet to Helmet hits arent the only thing that cuases concussions and you know how hard it is for someone to perfectly aim their helmet at another players helmit in the air. College doesnt have a Heltmet to helmet hit rule and they dont have any serious problems with concussions.

I wouldn't mind them getting more points of a 50 yard field goal attempt. I know that would mean an increase in attempts, but it would make the games exciting. Also I am in agreement about the illegal contact. It just gives bad offenses more chances to score.

Here is how I think OT should work. Each team gets a possession. If Team A receives the ball and scores aTD or FG. They would kickoff and need to make a stand. If the Team B falis to match or beat the TD or FG, the game is over. If both teams fail to score you then go to sudden death. This way both teams get the ball and all things would be equal.

I definitely have always had a serious beef with NFL overtime rules. Let's go to the college format, and may the best team win. The coin toss may as well be the game decider the way it is now.

The only thing they should consider changing about the current OT is to allow each team to have at least one possession. I'm sorry, but I don't get the logic of the college OT. You finish a game tied at 20. And then play 4 OT and it ends up being ridiculous, like 49-47. I just don't understand that. Not to mention how it inflates stats, such as TD. It's just stupid the way they do it. Only fair way is to let each team have one offensive possession.

The only rule I would like to see go is the force out rule. If a defender makes a good play that causes an incompletion, the offense shouldn't be rewarded for it.

I never understood why that's even a rule.

Meh.. I have no problem with that rule, whatsover.

The one rule I would want changed but it never will be is when the offense fumbles the ball near the sideline and the defense recovers it, but doesn't quite get possession of the ball before out-of-bounds, the offense retains the ball. The player *fumbled*... they should be punished. Switch it to lacrosse-like rules on the out of bounds line (whoever is closest to it) or *anything* but the system we have now.

There isn't anything wrong with that rule. A fumble is often times recovered by the offense. And if the defense doesn't gain possession why should they be rewarded with the ball? I don't see your logic at all.

Timeouts cannot be called ahead of time like they are for making the kicker kick twice. If the coach is swift enough to call the timeout right as the ball is snapped, that's fine, but no calling the ref over ahead of time and telling him that you will have called a timeout just before the ball is snapped.

Get rid of that rule about not being able to advance a fumble on a kickoff return inside of 2 minutes or whatever. I don't remember what exactly the situation is, I just remember that it's a dumb rule.

these are more just funny ideas than serious suggestions:

Add the single point from Canadian Football but use the archaic scoring method where the point was subtracted from the other team's score rather than added to yours.

Make Punts live balls like Kickoffs.

Make punts live balls? :doh:

How about the stupid "football move" rule after a player catches the ball? and fumbles

I mean WTH? they are playing FOOTBALL are they not? heh :2cents:

Dude, that is only a name for the method of determing whether or not the WR actually had possession or not. Its very clear what that term is implying. Lets not make this harder than it really is.

college football overtime is DUMB.

I like it as it is.

However if it were to change to give both sides equal chances with the ball on offense then I would say that the first OT consists of TWO 5 minute periods.

During your team's 5 minute offensive period the other team would have to kick the ball off to you (onsides kick would be illegal) and you would then have 5 minutes from the spot of the return to get points. Your period would end with time running out or with a score. You would then kickoff to the other team for their 5 minute offensive period.

If there is still a tie... wash, rinse & repeat until winner is declared.

this system would allow for equal offense/defense & SPECIAL TEAMS.

Agree 100%. It is like having a rule that says the receiver would have held on to the ball if the defender had not knocked it out of his hand. I don't think there is a force out rule in college...wonder why there is one in the nfl.

I agree on the force out rule... that negates what SHOULD BE a GREAT defensive play.

The only rule I would like to see go is the force out rule. If a defender makes a good play that causes an incompletion, the offense shouldn't be rewarded for it.

I never understood why that's even a rule.

Think about it; If a db is big and strong enough and/or has a double team on a guy going up for a pass, they can literally carry him out of bounds. You'd have guys like Santana Moss on crossing patterns literally being carried from the middle of the field on out of bounds if they had to leave their feet to make the catch.

I think they need to change the offensive false start penalty. It seemed to screw the Ravens in the monday game remember it was 4th and 1 the running back gets stoped, then they go back five yards and the pats pick up the first. I believe the defense should be able to chose since the play wasn't blown dead before the snap and they actually played the down.

That's a tough one. Wouldn't you have to let the play go, like defensive offsides and then decide after the play? I mean, as it is, the flag is thrown AND the whistle is blown which means to some degree players are pulling up.

I like the idea, just not sure how it would work out.

Archived