Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whatever happened to the notion of GW as HC?

coldpacker

He's had bad games. He's had a bad year (2006); but I'm of the opinion that Gibbs's 26-34 record would look far worse if Gregg was only an average DC.

Agreed. It's nothing personal with regard to GW, but I just have a feeling he would not be the answer we are all seeking. I think Jon Gruden would be a good fit for us.:2cents:

I'd rather bring in a sharp young OC, but I doubt whether Jason Garrett or Josh Daniels is ready and I don't see anyone else out there.

According to the local radio guys - The Sports Junkies, Al does not have full authority to run the offense as he see's fit. I think Al's past record is enough for me to grant him such authority for another season or two and plus I think it might help JC also if he stays on. I'm not opposed to Garrett however after further consideration. JC needs to throw the ball around more. The top teams in it right now are pass first teams it seems.

According to the local radio guys - The Sports Junkies, Al does not have full authority to run the offense as he see's fit. I think Al's past record is enough for me to grant him such authority for another season or two and plus I think it might help JC also if he stays on. I'm not opposed to Garrett however after further consideration. JC needs to throw the ball around more. The top teams in it right now are pass first teams it seems.

I want to see the Shotgun Spread as a featured formation next year. I don't care who does it. Gibbs and Gruden were the last holdouts against the Gun in the NFL, so I don't expect them to be born again so soon.

Al Saunders has an innovative mind, but I worry that his K.C. scheme needs an abundance of talent to succeed. Still, against Dallas, Campbell was in the gun on 32 of 58 offensive plays. I doubt if that was Joe's idea.

I think "clearing house" would be the worst possible thing this team could do if Gibbs leaves in the next year or two. While I think there is validity to the argument that we need a GM, chances are we are going to be stuck with the structure we have for the forseeable future. As for Cowher, I mean he is a good coach and all, but didn't it take him 17 years or something to win a superbowl? I can't see this fanbase (or the owner) having the same level of patience that the Steelers showed. I think going after Cowher would be the same old mistake that Snyder has made since taking ownership (i.e., WIN NOW regardless of the cost or if it makes sense). Let's hope he's learned some lessons in the past decade or so...

I hope this opinion is shared by Snyder, but continuity is what I believe we need going forward. I think Williams stays on as head coach. He has spent the last four years studying Gibbs and hopefully learning from some of his mistakes and becoming a better leader. I think we have too much invested in him and I think he really cares about this team and has a good track record of success since he's been here. He's earned a chance to be our Head Coach. Plus, I really don't think our fanbase or the core players could really stomach the upheaval a new Head Coach brings.

Gregg Williams defense has folded more than a house of cards over the last several weeks. What makes anyone thing he can keep a full team together?

Ummm, last time I checked our offense lost two out of the last three games for us. The defense has played pretty darn well without our top saftey (RIP) and our #1 cornerback not playing. In fact, didn't the offense apologize to the defense for the Tampa game?

Which is a problem, because he was the force behind Archuletta.

Plus, he just doesn't seem as diplomatic as Gibbs. I hope he's learning how to manage personalities of both his players and the coaching staff. That always seemed to be his biggest problem. Look at the whole Blache/Lavar/Lindsey thing.

Yup, Arch Deluxe was partly GW.

But the other big foul-up last year was GW letting Steve Jackson hold separate meetings for the safeties and Jerry Gray hold meetings for corners because Jackson was pouting he wasn't promoted to defensive back coach after Dewayne Walker left for UCLA.

The whole thing ruined our secondary's chemistry and undermined our gameplans.

Ummm, last time I checked our offense lost two out of the last three games for us. The defense has played pretty darn well without our top saftey (RIP) and our #1 cornerback not playing. In fact, didn't the offense apologize to the defense for the Tampa game?

I've also seen our defense lose some games down the stretch. Doesn't Sunday's game against the Bills ring a bell?

Gregg Williams defense has folded more than a house of cards over the last several weeks. What makes anyone thing he can keep a full team together?

You mean a defense that didn't allow a score in the second half against Tampa Bay, and didn't allow a TD against Buffalo?

The offense has been giving up far more points than the defense.

Jason

I've also seen our defense lose some games down the stretch. Doesn't Sunday's game against the Bills ring a bell?

If the offense scores TDs instead of FG, or doesn't give up a safety, or turn the ball over twice deep in their own end, we aren't talking about one 30 yard play down the field (which was a great throw, BTW).

Jason

I think of GW being our coach and I think of the path that B-cheat took to get to the Pats ...

From 1991 until 1995, Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. During his tenure in Cleveland he compiled a 36-44 record, leading the team to its most recent playoff game win in 1994. Based on his performance, many fans in Cleveland think of him as an uncommunicative, dictatorial and arrogant coach who made many questionable moves, including benching and then cutting much-beloved quarterback Bernie Kosar in 1993 in order to replace him with journeyman Vinny Testaverde, a move that sparked great controversy in the area. In Belichick's last season in Cleveland the Browns finished 5-11. In November of that year Browns owner Art Modell announced he would move the team to Baltimore after the season which cut the legs out from under the already struggling team.[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belichick

According to my friend who is a big time Bills fan, the fans, media and players despised GW because he was brutal, arrogant, and worse then a drill sargent ... I would imagine that Joe helped round him out. I really want him to be our next coach, I think he is very, very, ready. :logo:

Okay, Smart Ass:D

Who do you like?

Choices in order

1. Josh McDaniels, OC New England Patriots

2. Jason Garrett, OC Dallas Cowboys

3. Bill Cowher, retired heach coach

4. Doug Marrone, OC New Orleans

I want a youngish, offensive-minded coach. Basically, I want the Joe Gibbs we hired 27 years ago.

And Cowher, I think, you have to at least listen to. I would be reluctant to hire him though.

Choices in order

1. Josh McDaniels' date=' OC New England Patriots

I want a youngish, offensive-minded coach. Basically, I want the Joe Gibbs we hired 27 years ago.

And Cowher, I think, you have to at least listen to. I would be reluctant to hire him though.[/quote']

What about Russ Grimm and Mike Singletary?

You don't think the offense and A TOTAL LACK OF A RUSHING ATTACK had anything to do with that.

You see here is the problem, people expect the O to be bad, and people expect the D to be good, with a microscope under the D, any big play they give up is considered the nail in the coffin for us. The D can not play perfect.

How in the hell can a D bounce back from 4 consecutive TO's to start a game? How about two games ending with INT's into the endzone? Remeber it took 6-7 weeks for a WR to catch a TD ...

This team is bad because our Offense can not score in the redzone, can not sustain a running game, turnovers, and a lack of playmakers. :mad:

If the offense scores TDs instead of FG, or doesn't give up a safety, or turn the ball over twice deep in their own end, we aren't talking about one 30 yard play down the field (which was a great throw, BTW).

Jason

You mean a defense that didn't allow a score in the second half against Tampa Bay, and didn't allow a TD against Buffalo?

The offense has been giving up far more points than the defense.

Jason

I also think about a defense that let Terrell Owens run wild in its secondary and a defense that gave up numerous big plays against the Giants and Philly as we blew more leads. I know the offense has had its problems and I know the defense played stellar against Tampa. But, that's one GREAT game compared to three under-achieving ones against division opponents where it just laid down. Plus, where was the pressure on Buffalo's rookie quarterback? No sacks against the 31st-ranked offense?

GW and his defense can get the hell out of here asap

Totally agree with that! Thanks for "tanking" another season Gregg!

Said Gibbs: "What I'm focused on is everything here and my job and my responsibility. We've had four real bitter tough losses at the end of games, and it's hard to go through that. I think what we're all focused on is some way to make a play, find a way to win a game, or in my case make a good decision.

Yea loses that NEVER should have been in the first place and loses Gibbs NEVER learns from! Same **** every week and if he would have let Campbell throw for the first down they could have ran the clock out and never would have been in that predicament in the first place!!! :doh:

Has anyone ever thought that the idea of being around the Skins is too painful for GW? As much as I like to believe he doesnt have a heart, he showed he does over the past weeks. Remember, he had a special bond with Taylor and any ideas of being the HC here probably had ST palying a big part in his future success.

I'm not saying he is going to leave, but if GW "unexpectedly" walks away or is quietly signed by another team without giving a real solid reason to the media why he's leaving, I would suspect the ST tragedy might have something to do with it.

I think we need a young DC that's willing to take chances and be aggressive. Get a more defensive-minded HC to help him out, and let Al Saunders stay where he is so he can finally get the fair shot he deserves. Somewhere down the line, get a competent GM, and I'm confident that the talent we already have will shine through.

Choices in order

1. Josh McDaniels' date=' OC New England Patriots

And Cowher, I think, you have to at least listen to. I would be reluctant to hire him though.[/quote']

I agree that a young OC would be ideal, but those on your list don't have enough experience IMO.

McDaniels I'd consider -- but that's only because I'd like our chances of getting the Shotgun Spread here next season as a featured formation -- and you know how hung up I am on the Spread.

Bill Cowher's a grade B coach in my opinion. He needs superior talent to win.

For every Belichek success story there is a Norv Turner disaster story. It goes both ways.

If Gibbs goes we need to clean house and start over. Its been 4 years with this group. Sometimes change can be good.

Let's be honest, Norv Turner brought us more wins than this Gibbs 2 era. Norv wasn't good, but we could use anybody better than our coaching staff.

Archived