Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whatever happened to the notion of GW as HC?

coldpacker

Thinking ahead, when Gibbs leaves the team, people used to talk about how they can't wait till GW steps in. Of course, this is when our defense reigned supreme beasts on the grid iron. Since then, our defense has been just better than average.

In 2007 we're seeing signs of more anti-Gibbs mongles. I for one, am not anti-Gibbs but I would like to entertain the idea of having a new one b/c of piss poor game management.

So what if GW was our head coach? Would you be opposed to it? His contract states that GW will receive a big fat bonus if he ISN'T named the HC. I love GW, in fact i'd embrace his role as HC. He might not have had the most stellar HC resume but what i do enjoy watching is how much his players respect him. I like how he portrays himself to the media. And best of all, i'm sure he's learned from you-know-whos mistakes.

Screw Bill Cohwer. Bring on GW!

I expect GW to be the next HC, but at this point nothing would surprise me.

Ideally, I'd like for Gibbs as Team President to hire Bobby DePaul or some other promising up and comer as GM, and then let the GM select the next HC. Instead, I think Gibbs will name his successor, and if it's GW I think the current FO structure will remain.

Agreed with Riggo. If GW remains, there won't be a GM in town unless he pushes for one.

Many people on here get on GW for his substandard record as a first time head coach. What most people don't realize was that Belichek was a loser his first time as a HC, too (I think it was the Browns?).

Even great defensive minds who turn into head coaches don't end up having dominant defenses. Take a look at Marvin Lewis--he was the man behind the dominant Baltimore defense from years ago, then came to Washington and was successful. Now he's a head coach in Cincinnatti--but instead of hearing about his defense (which isn't all that dominant the last time I checked), you hear about all of the off-field problems of its players and their pretty efficient offense.

So having GW as coach can go both ways. I'd like to see consistency with the organization for once. Keep it in house.

Agreed with Riggo. If GW remains, there won't be a GM in town unless he pushes for one.

Which is a problem, because he was the force behind Archuletta.

Plus, he just doesn't seem as diplomatic as Gibbs. I hope he's learning how to manage personalities of both his players and the coaching staff. That always seemed to be his biggest problem. Look at the whole Blache/Lavar/Lindsey thing.

Many people on here get on GW for his substandard record as a first time head coach. What most people don't realize was that Belichek was a loser his first time as a HC, too (I think it was the Browns?).

For every Belichek success story there is a Norv Turner disaster story. It goes both ways.

If Gibbs goes we need to clean house and start over. Its been 4 years with this group. Sometimes change can be good.

I'd like to see consistency with the organization for once. Keep it in house.

I would like GW to stay, mainly for this reason. I want consistency!!! I am sick of watching coaches come and go. If GW stays, Saunders wil probably go, but other guys such as Olivadatti (I don't think I spelled his name right) will get promotions and a lot of the coaches will stay in house. Plus I love GW's attitude and one of the main reasons he came to the Skins was to learn under Gibbs so he can be a better coach. I think he will be the right choice.

I think I will be pretty upset if Cowher or Martz or any other big name coach comes in here and messes things up even more. I think we started to head in the correct direction this past offseason. With the picks chosen in the the drafts these past two years, I am excited about our young talent!

For every Belichek success story there is a Norv Turner disaster story. It goes both ways.

If Gibbs goes we need to clean house and start over. Its been 4 years with this group. Sometimes change can be good.

No. I actually like the direction the team is heading in terms of scheme and effort. It's talent I'm worried about. That's why I want a GM here to focus on that. The coaches simply do not have time to effectively evaluate other talent. They need to be told "here are the pieces you get. Make it work" Hell, they do that to Bugel right now. The guy has a defensive lineman playing for him.

How did GW work out in Buffilo. I want a head coach that has not failed elsewhere.

Sounds like JJG to me ?

There doesn't seem to be a good way to tell who will and won't be good.

I would love to have some consistancy.

GW HD coach

AS OC

DC Who ever GW thinks will carry on his D plan.

The idea of a Mike Martz makes me think...ALL NEW EVERYTHING>

I don't think EVERYTHING needs to change !

No. I actually like the direction the team is heading in terms of scheme and effort. It's talent I'm worried about. That's why I want a GM here to focus on that. The coaches simply do not have time to effectively evaluate other talent. They need to be told "here are the pieces you get. Make it work" Hell, they do that to Bugel right now. The guy has a defensive lineman playing for him.

Two good points. We need a GM, because look at the personnel moves before even Gibbs was involved--they were Cerrato-terrible. And yes, if Buges can deal with the hand given, so can Cowher or GW.

I haven't sensed any change of direction from the FO. I'd have to assume GW is still "in-waiting" for Gibbs to retire.

Which is a problem, because he was the force behind Archuletta.

As well as a lot of other players, like Sean Taylor.

Personally, I think he's done a good job on his side of the ball and I wouldn't mind seeing him taking over for Gibbs.

Plus, he just doesn't seem as diplomatic as Gibbs. I hope he's learning how to manage personalities of both his players and the coaching staff. That always seemed to be his biggest problem. Look at the whole Blache/Lavar/Lindsey thing.

Well, that was taken care of when the team got rid of Lavar and Lindsey.

Jason

GW and his defense can get the hell out of here asap

I completely agree. He has is so overated by the locals here. I hate to say this, but Jason Garrett would be fine by me. We need to CLEAN HOUSE. and get young innovative minds in the 21st century here

TOTALLY AGREE! I would love to bring in Cowher, he has a RECENT track record of success in the NFL.

I'm sure Cowher could bring in the folks he'd need to direct the defense - I love they way they play "D" in Pitt. I also love the hard nosed attitude they play with in Pitt. - unlike our quiphy Redskins.

I would want whoever they hire to be willing to work with Saunders - I think he could really get some good things going with the offense if he wasn;t wearing handcuffs.

Well' date=' when you have had the success that the current regime has had, you want to continue it by all means.

26-34 records don't just grow on trees, you know. You've got to keep this train rolling.[/quote']

Okay, Smart Ass:D

Who do you like?

I still have a major problem with it bcause of the rape given to him by the Patriots. I agree we need someone smart and capable in charge of the draft and other personnel issues though. That's where change is needed the most. I'd like to see Al stay on and have full say on the offense and work with JC. I'd also like to see Gruden as HC someday soon.

This isn't a democracy (or diplomacy), in fact I think Gibb's has let too many decisions be handled diplomatically/democratically. Maybe I am not fully understanding what you mean by "diplomatically." The head coach is the president, he makes the decisions. he also needs to keep his coaches in check, if he feels that a player is being singled out or of he thinks that a player is loafing. The HC needs to make that decision, not just leave it up to the assistant coach and the players to "work it out." he needed to handle that more quickly and firmly. Not run back and forth to make sure nobodies feeling were hurt. But that is water under the bridge.

If you mean diplomatic as in saying the right things to the press, then I hear what you are saying about Gibb's. he never criticizes his teams publicly. But he does always seem to fluff things up about the "we fought our guts out" etc. That is fine.

But sometimes teams need a reality check so to speak or to be told "what they really are" ... and then they need to be motivated to do better. I think this team has too much of a "we know we have talent and are good we just gotta put it together" mentality.

This is where I think GW would be a good fit, he doesn't sugar coat anything, he is respectful, but he is honest.

We do have some older FA's that are expensive, but those signings are close to being restructured or terminated. We have a good core group of young players to build this team with. My vote would be to keep GW as HC, AS as OC ... and bring up another assistant as the DC.

We need consistency, or the last 4 years have been all for not. Starting over, especially on offense would be devastating to JC's development, and i think having AS make all the calls would eventually lead to a prosperous offense, instead of melding 2 different philosophies at different points in a game. Just my $.02

I still have a major problem with it bcause of the rape given to him by the Patriots.

He's had bad games. He's had a bad year (2006); but I'm of the opinion that Gibbs's 26-34 record would look far worse if Gregg was only an average DC.

I'd rather bring in a sharp young OC, but I doubt whether Jason Garrett or Josh Daniels is ready and I don't see anyone else out there.

Archived