Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whatever happened to the notion of GW as HC?

coldpacker

The Steelers made Tomlin keep LeBeau. That was non-negotiable.

You think Gibbs would give Williams less of a chance to name his own staff' date=' particularly since it is in his contract that he got full control over his staff when he signed on as DC?

You are exaggerating ("as soon as you start passing all the time") in order to make an argument. You don't need to run 14 times on first down to keep defenses honest. When you make two yards or less 10 of 14 times doing it, they'll pin their ears back and come after you on second and long. What defense is going to bite on play action in long yardage situations?

Let me give you some more numbers.

How many times did the Skins run on 1st down? 15 times. (including the Moss endaround.)

How many times did the Skins pass on 1st down? 14 times.

Funny, but it looks like they were going for balance on first down to keep Buffalo guessing.

Jason

I think im on the fence with GW. I think GW has demonstrated the past couple years, the very problem facing this organization; the ability to make adjustments, and put your players in the best position to make plays. He will just run the same defense all game. I cant count how many times im frustrated to see him run the exact same play thats been failing us all game, and the offense take advantage of it once again. So that concerns me.

Likewise, im of the opinion that once you become HC, you are the HC, not the DC and not the OC, but the HC. If you are defensive guy, sure, help out the defense, but that shouldnt be your focus. Ive seen coaches fail so often in their area of expertise, and instead of doing what a good boss does, and just hires someone better than you at that, they insist on trying to do it all themselves. You need a person at HC who is a good decision maker and motivator, not someone who will be involved in every detail.

Archived