Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it ok to filter **** but not goddamn?

borninblood

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Another question, not for the mods. If you were a mod would you NNT borninblood? Would you temp ban him? Would you just look the other way?

Just curious to hear your thoughts. I mean, if you're not a mod, that is.

:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Another question, not for the mods. If you were a mod would you NNT borninblood? Would you temp ban him? Would you just look the other way?

Just curious to hear your thoughts. I mean, if you're not a mod, that is.

:laugh:

if he is a conservative, the answer is yes ;)

To be honest, I'd prefer they not filter any words, at least in the Tailgate (though admittedly, for comedic purposes, the filters can be helpful).

I think borinblood has a valid point, in as much as it seems fairly arbitrary what words society deems acceptable or unacceptable. Who decides these things? And to what end?

Still, I would never advocate the filtering or "bleeping" of words because some may find them offensive. On the other hand, shouldn't there be a level of respect for the feelings and beliefs of others? Then the question becomes, where do we draw the line?

He (i.e. G-d) is a big guy. He's probably OK with it. If I was omnipotent I'd have a thicker skin than to be worried about stuff like that. :silly:

My bible tell me not to use his name in vain

im just curious as to why ****(poop) is bad but goddamnit is ok

especially with youngsters around

My bible tell me not to use his name in vain

im just curious as to why ****(poop) is bad but goddamnit is ok

especially with youngsters around

Because its not a Goddamn swear word - especially if you're not Christian. Plus, if I have an actual reason for using Goddamn (say I want your deity to be damned) then it's not really in vain, now is it?

i understand what you mean about not being offensive to non Christians, but it is a swear word.

Say it in front of a bunch of kindergardners and see how many bad looks you get

actually yeah it is.. to use it in vain is to use it without the respect due from creature to creator

4. without real significance, value, or importance; baseless or worthless: vain pageantry; vain display.

b. in an improper or irreverent manner: to take God's name in vain.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vain

i cant believe i bit on the religious debate, i just think if you are gonna filter **** you should filter goddamnit

i understand what you mean about not being offensive to non Christians, but it is a swear word.

Say it in front of a bunch of kindergardners and see how many bad looks you get

actually yeah it is.. to use it in vain is to use it without the respect due from creature to creator

4. without real significance, value, or importance; baseless or worthless: vain pageantry; vain display.

b. in an improper or irreverent manner: to take God's name in vain.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vain

i cant believe i bit on the religious debate, i just think if you are gonna filter **** you should filter goddamnit

Baseless to you maybe meaningful to me. You really need to learn about perspective. I never think any of my words are used in vain. :)

And, I don't really consider this a religious debate. More of a semantics/censourship debate. You want to censor people, and I say **** that.

Here is my take on it.

Personally, it's not offensive to me. However, I think that if you're going to filter some words you might want to filter others that could be considered a cuss word. I doubt there are any kids or really young teens on this board, but if there are, I would hate to be responsible for them using it because they think it's okay and then mom knocking some teeth out.

Of course they should use better judgement and know better. But some don't. Either way, I don't have a problem with it personally. Just putting it out there.

Archived