Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worst mistake of Joe Gibb's coaching career?

footballhenry

Where does the consecutive timeouts call in this past Bills rank in Joe Gibbs career?

Personally, to me there has been no worse mistake committed by Gibbs in his illustrious career. This was a game to honor Sean, and this was a game that all of Redskins Nation wanted to win as much as on par as a playoff game if not more. I am still shocked that our 'Hall of Fame' coach could make such a game-changing and devastating mistake in the most important moments of the football game. The fact that these types of mistakes have been happening for four years now, off and on, is depressing to say the least.

I used to be such a Redskins homer too. :doh:

So question is, was this the worst mental breakdown of Joe Gibb's coaching career?

I say yes, it's not even close.

If it isn't

Where does the consecutive timeouts call in this past Bills rank in Joe Gibbs career?

Personally, to me there has been no worse mistake committed by Gibbs in his illustrious career. This was a game to honor Sean, and this was a game that all of Redskins Nation wanted to win as much as on par as a playoff game if not more. I am still shocked that our 'Hall of Fame' coach could make such a game-changing and devastating mistake in the most important moments of the football game. The fact that these types of mistakes have been happening for four years now, off and on, is depressing to say the least.

I used to be such a Redskins homer too. :doh:

So question is, was this the worst mental breakdown of Joe Gibb's coaching career?

I say yes, it's not even close.

I'm saying it is. Haven't read one here to top it.

For an individual mistake, I'd have to say yesterday's timeouts. Not only did it make Gibbs look foolish for not knowing the rule, but the fact that he even considered calling two timeouts in a row to ice the kicker twice sort of made him look like an unsportsmanlike azz and something unbecoming of how we normally view Gibbs.

A close second was initially sending in the FG unit with 14 seconds left from the Philly 11 on second down in the second game of the season. Even though he was given a chance to reconsider due to Reid's timeout and ultimately sent the offense back, to me it showed a serious lapse of judgment that was also evident yesterday.

Bigger picture? It remains to be seen whether bringing in Saunders will be of any long-term benefit. But so far the short-term gains have been sparse, and you have to wonder how much going to the new philosophy after the 10-6 season set the offense back last season.

Lindell would have booted that 51-yarder 4 times in a row if he had to. The dude is automatic. So that call didn't cost us the game. Not getting a first down on our previous possession, and therefore putting the ball back in Buffalo's hands at the end, was what cost us the game.

Exactly how I feel.

Was it a stupid mistake? Yes. Did it cost us the game? I don't think so. Lindell nailed the 51 yarder before the first time out - right down the middle with plenty of leg. No reason to think he wouldn't have done it a second time.

I'd vote for sticking with Brunell too long.

The rocket screen in Superbowl 18

Ding!

for all the other mistakes, this one was in the Super Bowl.

But, yesterday's mistake was no bigger than running prevent against a rookie QB.

But hey why worry about what set up the chance for a field goal in the first place.

~Bang

How about this travesty of yesterday. Clinton Portis, who had averaged less than two yards per carry, gets the ball THREE times in a row in order to try to pick up the first down when that's all we would need for a win. Instead of giving the ball to Cooley, he hands the game to the most devastated defense in the league to hold the Bills out of field goal range. Guess what...Didn't happen and we lose...yet again. This is the reason we can't buy a stinking win...It's frustrating to see them not play to win.

L.B., I couldn't agree with you more. 3rd and 8 and needing a 1st down to win the game and we run??? This is getting too repetitive. Are we playing to win or not lose? Big Sigh......My heart wants us to keep J.G. but my brain says "thanks Joe for the effort, but let's go in another direction and try Gregg." I will forever be grateful for the joy J.G. brought us, but jumbo at the two doesn't work in today's game. The defense knows you're going to run and stacks the box.

The O.C.'s for N.E., Dallas, Indy, ect., let the Q.B.'s win the game. So what if we give the ball to the Bill's with an extra 10 seconds if the upside is we complete a pass for a first down and win the game?

The Bill's kicker was going to make the FG with or without another TO. Just trust your offense to win a game. Please.

For the mention of Rocket Screen, lets not forget that we were already playing like crap and were down 14-3 when it happened. Sure, the additional score altered our gameplan in the second half of that game, but the Raiders dominated us in the final 30 minutes as well. We just weren't meant to win that game.

And the point that we shouldn't have let the Bills get to FG range is well taken, and Lindell may well have made the FG from 50 a second time. Still, it doesn't excuse Gibbs' losing his mind in the situation.......I equate it to the incident 10 years earlier when Westbrook threw his helmet in the Giants OT game.

For the mention of Rocket Screen, lets not forget that we were already playing like crap and were down 14-3 when it happened. Sure, the additional score altered our gameplan in the second half of that game, but the Raiders dominated us in the final 30 minutes as well. We just weren't meant to win that game.

The rocket screen was HUGE

Go down at the half only down 14-3, compared to 21-3. The Redskins come out of the gate and score a TD. It could have been 14-10 (or 14-9) and it is a completely different game then still being down 21-9

Might be one of the worst calls in the history of the Superbowl

Gibbs' coaching staff has made so many obvious mistakes that I have lost count. In recent memory, which of the last two games was worse- 2 TO's back to back (Bufffalo) or going for it on 4th and 1 at the goal line instead of just kicking a FG (TB).

In close games, we have outcoached in every game. going into the 3rd qu w/ a 7 point lead is not the time to play prevent defense and run out the clock offense. We do ot every game.

The rocket screen was HUGE

Go down at the half only down 14-3, compared to 21-3. The Redskins come out of the gate and score a TD. It could have been 14-10 (or 14-9) and it is a completely different game then still being down 21-9

Might be one of the worst calls in the history of the Superbowl

I would like it noted for the record that many key players that day on our team were seriously hung over.

;)

Archived