Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's really wrong with the Redskins this year

ceviker

What's wrong with the Redskins? It's that they have too many fans like ceviker.

What, too many fans that bleed B&G and get physically ill everytime their beloved team rips his heart out of him? Please. Don't give me that bull**** "you're only a fan if you don't critize the team / Gibbs" crap. I love this team just as much as any other fan on this board I watch with hope every single game. But just because they're my favorite son doesn't mean that I can't call it like it is or give my 2 cents.

Gee, does the QB position effect an offense that much that even when there isn't that much 'talent' on that side of the ball, that they still can make things happen?

I love JC and I believe he is the answer. I also believe he has basically played one year.

We are too much of a Fast Food / instant gratification in an area that experience is mandatory for success. You have to give it time.

If you are not willing to do that, go to the Patriots. That will solve your lust for success.

REALLY?

Who? Who at skilled positions, homer hat removed, is better on our roster than on Green Bay?

Your joking right?

What I mean on a player-to-player talent basis, our players have more talent on paper. The thing is GB gets the most out of their players; we don't.

Oh, let's cut right to the chase! If you take the Patriots and Dallas games out of the equation, LOUSY PLAY-CALLING in the SECOND HALF ruined this season. PLAYING NOT TO LOSE ruined this season. The Skins would have won games against Philly, Green Bay, and NY if they had aggressive, play to win SECOND HALF play-calling. To sit around here and ponder what is wrong with our beloved Skins is a JOKE! How many second half leads need to end up as losses before everybody wakes up?

Their WR corps run complete circles around ours and it isn't even close. Their QB situation is WAY better than ours. Rogers played in his first action better than Campbell ever has... and that's not even mentioning one of the best ever in Favre.

I hold a big ego investment in the Shotgun Spread, so you'll have to forgive me.

Ask yourself: would Favre's career have rebounded and would you have ever heard of their receivers if Mike Montgomery hadn't put them in the Shotgun Spread this year?

Maybe it's more coaching than you think (not denying they have better talent overall).

What I mean on a player-to-player talent basis, our players have more talent on paper. The thing is GB gets the most out of their players; we don't.

Amazing. You just found the answer to your own question.

The answer is.....you believe we have great players because you watch them, learn their names......and are familiar with them.

You don't watch other teams to be able to make a comparison.

I hold a big ego investment in the Shotgun Spread, so you'll have to forgive me.

Ask yourself: would Favre's career have rebounded and would you have ever heard of their receivers if Mike Montgomery hadn't put them in the Shotgun Spread this year?

Maybe it's more coaching than you think (not denying they have better talent overall).

I see your point, and you could be right. You could be wrong though. We'll likely never know.

I do know watching them against Dallas... those WR's were incredibly athletic and if they can catch (which they appear to all have good hands)... then they are good receivers, regardless of who's throwing from what scheme. Those guys can run! ANd they can really run after they get the ball in their hands. They impressed the heck out of me.

Before that I really hadn't been THAT impressed with them. They are better than I thought though.

As for our group... well... Moss is really quick and would be an ideal slot guy. That's about the best I can say, unfortunately.

Point taken, though.

Our braintrust seems to want to avoid the losing season(s) that an actual rebuilding program could entail so high dollar contracts are handed out yearly as we patch holes for the next 'playoff run'.

Ironically, this approach has given us more losing seasons than a rebuilding process headed by a competent gm may have.

Its unfathomable to me that we would be in this position in year four of coach Gibbs second tenure.

We need to start over with a strong gm, an overhaul of this coaching staff, more emphasis on the draft and most importantly we need ownership to allow that to happen.

Settle in, Skins fans because until all of those things come to pass we will continue to spin our wheels year after year.

I think they have heart, they play hard.

They don't seem to believe they are winners, deep down they think either themselves, their teamates or the Redskins as an organization is destined to lose.

Now, I doubt its much of a conscious thought, I think its more of a subconcious thing -- winning is partly about attitude, and this team really strikes me as a team that doesn't believe.

Its hard for me to pin whether its them not believing in the coaching staff, in themselves or each other.

It seems like when they go to war they play to what they believe, they believe that they can hang in their with anybody and they do for the most part, but think that something will go wrong to screw it up at the end and then it happens.

The karma just feels bad with the team -- its the stench of losing

Name one pass rusher we have that's as good as Kampman.

Bret Favre HOFer arguably one of the best QB's to EVER play the game. Not to mention his passion for the game is above and beyond that of most that's ever played the game so he brings intangibles to the table that can't be put on paper.

Both of their corners are solid, Woodson being one of the better to have played the game in recent history when healthy.

Driver alone is better than all three of our receivers at being a posession guy.

Now I think we have them at LB and part of our O line being that the other half is gone. CP would average a 100 a game behind that O line not to mention the fact you have to concentrate so much on shutting down the pass with Brett at QB the running lanes are open.

Honestly, the more I think about it it's like comparing apples to oranges. They have a totally different type of game than we do. Still baffles me why we can't win with the talent we have. There are teams with less talent winning football games.

I still don't think it's heart though, think we have plenty of it. I personally think our coaches force the players to play outside themselves. I've been saying for the past few seasons, we force players into the "system" instead of tailoring the system to specific skill set of the players. That's why drafted players seem to play better IMO. You take a young guy and tailor his game to the chosen system and he flourishes. You take a guy who's excelled in a different system and force him into one that he's either not accustomed to or not fit a good fit for and you have problems. Great talent doesn't necessarily equate to productivity.

For Example

Moss in Oakland

TO in Philthy

AA here in Washington

Lavar in GW's Defense

CP in a power running, between the tackles offense

feel free to add to the list, I'm sure it's endless.

For Example

Moss in Oakland

TO in Philthy

AA here in Washington

Lavar in GW's Defense

CP in a power running, between the tackles offense

feel free to add to the list, I'm sure it's endless.

Ummm... who doesn't belong in this list?

Great talent and AA don't go together. :laugh:

Lack of mental toughness!!! :doh:

Short and sweet, but probably at least partially true.

There are several things that comes to mind which I think are problems, and lack of mental toughness is one of them.

Lack of physical toughness. What else could you say for a roster who regularly has more people on the injury list than almost any other team?

Losing mentality.

Lack of talent on the OL and DL.

WR's who don't fight for the ball very much.

A RB who isn't as good as he thinks he is.

Very few leaders.

No leader at QB.

No fire in the belly of most of them.

etc.

Nobody is healthy. The O line is patchworked with a bunch of backup bums. We only had one original starter in the secondary and he is a rookie. We have two WR's getting big playing time that wasnt in the NFL a couple of weeks ago. This team has way too many injuries in key positions.

Ummm... who doesn't belong in this list?

Great talent and AA don't go together. :laugh:

AA is good at what he does, stop the run. He's solid in a system where he is utilized for just that, not being dropped into coverage. My point was just because a player has talent doesn't mean they'll be good inside a scheme that doesn't use their talents. Few players in the game are great in all facets of the game at their position, few.

AA is good at what he does, stop the run. He's solid in a system where he is utilized for just that, not being dropped into coverage. My point was just because a player has talent doesn't mean they'll be good inside a scheme that doesn't use their talents. Few players in the game are great in all facets of the game at their position, few.

Yeah, I do know what you meant.

My smart alec mouth has gotten me in trouble my whole life. :)

As far as AA goes... he's not very good. I heard that Chicago just benched him again. If that's true, then it comes as no surprise.

I heard one coach say (can't remember who, but I agree with him) that run stoppers are a dime-a-dozen in the NFL... and it's true. You can find just about anyone to plug against the run... it's pass coverage, pass rush, etc. which is hard to find.

And our team has very few players which are great in any facet of their game. Maybe Cooley who is a great receiver but only an average blocker. Who else on our team would you list as "great" at something?

I'm not sure.

As far as AA goes... he's not very good. I heard that Chicago just benched him again. If that's true, then it comes as no surprise.

I heard one coach say (can't remember who, but I agree with him) that run stoppers are a dime-a-dozen in the NFL... and it's true. You can find just about anyone to plug against the run... it's pass coverage, pass rush, etc. which is hard to find.

And our team has very few players which are great in any facet of their game. Maybe Cooley who is a great receiver but only an average blocker. Who else on our team would you list as "great" at something?

I'm not sure.

I was watching Bears / Giants yesterday, sure enough Archuleta is benched. Not a good sign coming from Lovie, who I've heard likes the guy.

And our team has very few players which are great in any facet of their game. Maybe Cooley who is a great receiver but only an average blocker. Who else on our team would you list as "great" at something? I'm not sure.

I think CP is one of the best blocking RB's in the game. I think once he gets in space he's one hell of a RB, problem is getting him there. When CP came to us he was known for finding a hole when none existed and making guys miss. It's as if the coaches have forced him to be a Riggins type back which he's not. He's just not a bruiser, IMO he's playing outside his comfort zone. They're forcing him to just run the ball into the hole even if it doesn't exist. I can't tell you how many times I've watched a hole close just to see another one open and wonder why he doesn't bounce it outside, the old CP used to do that. I think they've coached the instinct right out of him. I mean you see what happens to guys who get put in the dog house. LA, Ramsey, AA..

Rabach is an excellent center

Samuels is a great pass/run blocker

London Fletcher-Baker is as well rounded a LB as you're going to find

I think Kendall is a huge pick-up and a great O-lineman

Sellers is arguably one of the best FB's in the game

Rock is probably one of the best ST'ers in the game as far as kickoff and return.

Randy Thomas when healthy is as good as it gets

Marcus Washington when healthy is IMO great in all facets of the game

After that we have some above average vets and some up and coming youngens but nothing to get too excited about. Not a great team but not a bunch of no talent having hacks either.

AA, okay so he's a bum. Bad analogy I guess. :applause:

Rabach is an excellent center

Samuels is a great pass/run blocker

London Fletcher-Baker is as well rounded a LB as you're going to find

I think Kendall is a huge pick-up and a great O-lineman

Sellers is arguably one of the best FB's in the game

Rock is probably one of the best ST'ers in the game as far as kickoff and return.

Randy Thomas when healthy is as good as it gets

Marcus Washington when healthy is IMO great in all facets of the game

After that we have some above average vets and some up and coming youngens but nothing to get too excited about. Not a great team but not a bunch of no talent having hacks either.

AA, okay so he's a bum. Bad analogy I guess. :applause:

Great, excellent, awesome, etc. get thrown around way too much by people and I'm including myself in that. When you really think about it, great players are few and far between.

Rabach - Solid, but I wouldn't say excellent. I can think of 4 NFC centers who are better off the top of my head. Birk, Gurode, Wells and Kreutz. That's not even talking about the AFC.

Samuels - Great pass blocker... almost Great run blocker. Pro bowler for sure, but I wouldn't list him as a great run blocker... although he's close.

Fletcher - I completely forgot about him. I think he is a great MLB. Almost great at coverage, even... although I'd put him at really good in that catagory.

Kendall - Excellent? No way. Solid and we are lucky as **** that we were able to pick him up late or we really would have been screwed, for sure. He's not a great OG by any stretch though. Only a bonafied homer would say that and I've read your posts before ZoEd... you're not a bonafied homer.

Sellers - Definately not great. A fan favorite and tough to bring down... but he's not great.

Rock - Good, but not great return guy. There are many other's around the NFL that teams would take before Rock. He does have a great name though. :)

Thomas - Maybe he's great... if not he's very, very good. Excellent, I guess you could say. Great I would reserve for guys who truly dominate like Larry Allen.

Washington - He isn't a great LB, although he was kinda close a couple of years ago. He's solid as they come... but he's not a game changer.

Of course Sean Taylor would have been in the great department, but he was stolen from us.

We don't have very many truly top tier players and way too many fans think we have a bunch on the Redskins.

We don't. That's a big part of our problems, I think.

Winning only two ( and those being barely over bad teams) of your last eight games is a lot easier to explain when you understand that there isn't a whole lot of special talent on our team.

I've come to grips with that and I'm just trying to look forward to the rebuilding project and get excited about the draft. :2cents:

others are good points too but you hit it on the nail with NUmber 1.

ill tell you what is wrong with the redskins. It is simple but you people doesnt seem to get it. You people just dont seem to get it!!!!!!!!!!

it comes down to talent. nothing else. did you get that? it comes down to TALENT. the so called super stars on the redskins arent super stars in the NFL. majority of the redskins arent great. They are bad to mediocre players. Their talent level isnt that great. we , the redskins fans and the organization has made these mediocre players into something they really arent. the so called super star players on the redskins arent universally seen as great in the NFL.except to redskins fans and majority of them are homer fans. Randy moss is seen as universally great in the NFL. Owen is seen as great not just by cowboys fans but by everyone in the NFL. .. u see the trend here? Mike sellers isnt that great of a football players. redskins fans have made him in to something we think he is. giving big contracts to players like randle el and llyod have made us think thaat they are super stars. these receivers are probably no better than 2nd or 3rd string receivers. u see the trend here? we have to win individual match ups and do you know why we lose them most of the time? you guess it! our opponents have better talents. it is what it is. with the most overrated coaching staff along with mediocre players equals redskins. its simple math.

doc walker said it best this morning. he said that so called redskins super stars dont make super star plays except for SEAN TAYLOR. and guess what, sadly He is gone!

I agree with you for the most part. I think fans, including myself, pump up players on this team who aren't really that great. The only two elite players we had on this team were Chris Samuels and Sean Taylor, and now one of them is gone, R.I.P. Sean. We do have some good talent however, not elite, but a lot of good talent on this team, enough to win 9 games or so.

Archived