Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's really wrong with the Redskins this year

ceviker

INCONSISTENCY! That is why we are playing the way. Not coaching and not talent. The reason why we are losing is do to our own stupid mistakes, untimely turnovers, penalties etc. Seriously, what coach does not know the rule book. Its common sense that you can't call timeouts back to back.

Other then New England game, The skins could easily have won each and every game they have played so far this season. All of those games were either ours for the taking or in our grasp and we let them slip away. Plain and simple. Everybody needs to stop blaming Gibbs, Campbell or any other individuals players for our losing record.

INCONSISTENCY ladies and gentlemen, that is why we are 5-7 as opposed to competing with Dallas for homefield advantage.

INCONSISTENCY! That is why we are playing the way. Not coaching and not talent.

another homer fan. does this guy know football?

inconsistency=bad players/no talent and bad coaching. consistency=good coaching and good talent with good discipline.

The reason why we are losing is do to our own stupid mistakes, untimely turnovers, penalties etc.

why wouldnt these mistakes fall under players? good/great players dont make these mistakes, turnovers..etc and execute on the field. mediocre/bad pplayers with no talents do. is it lack of discipline. so the coaches have to baby sit them and tell him not to make mistakes.

Other then New England game, The skins could easily have won each and every game they have played so far this season. All of those games were either ours for the taking or in our grasp and we let them slip away. Plain and simple. Everybody needs to stop blaming Gibbs, Campbell or any other individuals players for our losing record.

where do people like you come from? other than new england, we couldve easily lost all out games......etc blah blah blah. couldve wouldve shouldve. good teams with good talents win. there is no couldve wouldve shouldve. you gonna live rest of your live saying " coudlve wouldve shouldve" as long as you allow this mediocre Redskins to be part of your life.

INCONSISTENCY ladies and gentlemen, that is why we are 5-7 as opposed to competing with Dallas for homefield advantage.

i dont think this guy knows what INCONSISTENCY means. HA HA

Gee, does the QB position effect an offense that much that even when there isn't that much 'talent' on that side of the ball, that they still can make things happen?

I love JC and I believe he is the answer. I also believe he has basically played one year.

We are too much of a Fast Food / instant gratification in an area that experience is mandatory for success. You have to give it time.

If you are not willing to do that, go to the Patriots. That will solve your lust for success.

So how much time do you suggest? I think we are on year 4 of Gibbs II and year 14 or 15 of fielding a remotely consistent football team.

So I ask again, how much time do we give before we are considered "fast food/instand gratification?"

It is funny to me how when we were a conservative running the ball 2 times more then we passed it we had a 3-1 record. Many (including me) are guilty of yelling at the TV to let Joe know he needs to let the kid (JC) thorw the ball, remove the handcuffs, and be more aggressive. Well we have done that the last 4 weeks and it got us 4 losses. That is why we are all arm chair coaches and the Hall of Famer walking the sideline knows what kind of team he has.

Sure we are putting up better offensive numbers on paper but what matters are the wins and losses, and Im sorry to say our more aggressive/open offense has not gotten us any more wins.

It's going to be a long offseason for the Redskins as they definitely need to make some drastic changes this offseason, especially in the front office, if they wanna be one of the elite teams in the NFL. Everything you said about the Redskins is absolutely true. I guess the Redskins FO just never gets the right ideas on how to build a winning football team in the long run.

Guest Dave959

What's really wrong is whats wrong every year: team depth. Year after year after year we blow most of our salary cap on a few marquee(?) players. The end result is we can only afford a bunch of back ups earning the league minimum.

It is funny to me how when we were a conservative running the ball 2 times more then we passed it we had a 3-1 record. Many (including me) are guilty of yelling at the TV to let Joe know he needs to let the kid (JC) thorw the ball, remove the handcuffs, and be more aggressive. Well we have done that the last 4 weeks and it got us 4 losses. That is why we are all arm chair coaches and the Hall of Famer walking the sideline knows what kind of team he has.

Sure we are putting up better offensive numbers on paper but what matters are the wins and losses, and Im sorry to say our more aggressive/open offense has not gotten us any more wins.

Our best offensive performance of the year was in the loss to Dallas when Campbell threw from the shotgun on 32 of 58 offensive plays (40%). For some reason, we got away from that scheme and ran Portis on 25 plays for 50 yards agianst the Bills. 14 of those runs were on first down resulting in second and long on 10 of 14 situations. Shotgun? 12 of 70 offensive plays (17%).

You're right. Opening up the offense hasn't gotten us any more wins, but if the offense had been opened up against Buffalo as it was against Dallas, it might have.

disagree with your talent argument. you're basing it on the notion that if there was a deficit that the team would be getting whupped. one can just as easily argue that were the talent there they would be winning by huge margins and not boxed into these close games....you're argument only goes so far as to establish that there is wnough talent to stay in clsoe games...that's all.

I happen to disagree on this...obviously. It starts with the lines and the top tier talent just isn't there. The O-line cannot exercise its will when it matters (e.g., down by the goal line) and the D-line doesn't have a real push up the middle or any bona fide threats that opposing O coordinators lay awake at night worrying over. yes...other things play into overall performance...but talent on the lines is, in my mind, clearly a deficit area. those lines are good when it comes to talent....just not good enough.

Utah -- We are too much of a Fast Food / instant gratification in an area that experience is mandatory for success. You have to give it time.

darell1106 -- So how much time do you suggest? I think we are on year 4 of Gibbs II and year 14 or 15 of fielding a remotely consistent football team.

So I ask again, how much time do we give before we are considered "fast food/instand gratification?

The irony here is that the Gibbs roster-building approach with emphasis on free agency and shunning the draft is a modified George Allen, "the future is now" approach. Most Redskins fans were more patient than Joe Gibbs.

Our best offensive performance of the year was in the loss to Dallas when Campbell threw from the shotgun on 32 of 58 offensive plays (40%). For some reason, we got away from that scheme and ran Portis on 25 plays for 50 yards agianst the Bills. 14 of those runs were on first down resulting in second and long on 10 of 14 situations. Shotgun? 12 of 70 offensive plays (17%).

You're right. Opening up the offense hasn't gotten us any more wins, but if the offense had been opened up against Buffalo as it was against Dallas, it might have.

Id love to see the tunrover numbers (especially JC fumbles) once we stopped using max protection schemes as much (last 4/5 weeks). The last few weeks when we would send everyone out in the route JC has had to absorb hits and he is getting up slower everytime on top of fumbling a lot. One can certainly blame the Oline but that is why Joe stood by using max protection packages since he knew what he had to work with. Again Joe know what kind of team he has and that is why he impelmented the plan he did at the beginning of the season (hindsight is always 20/20).

i agree, good post.

I was a big proponent of signing Keyshawn this offseason, not just from a football standpoint - which I believe he would have helped TREMENDOUSLY as a big posession target - but because he has the big H word.

why wouldnt these mistakes fall under players? good/great players dont make these mistakes, turnovers..etc and execute on the field. mediocre/bad pplayers with no talents do. is it lack of discipline. so the coaches have to baby sit them and tell him not to make mistakes.
Not true. Watch the Cowboys play, they make mistakes left and right.

Ladell Betts didn't trip over his own feet against the Giants, NY had four or five defenders that crossed the line of scrimmage, got penetration and were able to push Kendall and Rabach back into his lap :)

Problem in a nutshell, we need to fix the O-Line, the hallmark of a Joe Gibbs team is big, strong, nasty Offensive line, when the O-Line gets dominated on the line of scrimmage like they did against Buffalo it is clear that the best medicine for this team is to fix the O-Line

What, too many fans that bleed B&G and get physically ill everytime their beloved team rips his heart out of him? Please. Don't give me that bull**** "you're only a fan if you don't critize the team / Gibbs" crap. I love this team just as much as any other fan on this board I watch with hope every single game. But just because they're my favorite son doesn't mean that I can't call it like it is or give my 2 cents.

You can give as many cents as you like. I don't care, but let me ask you this: What did you post here after the OT loss to the Chargers in 2005?

Id love to see the tunrover numbers (especially JC fumbles) once we stopped using max protection schemes as much (last 4/5 weeks). The last few weeks when we would send everyone out in the route JC has had to absorb hits and he is getting up slower everytime on top of fumbling a lot. One can certainly blame the Oline but that is why Joe stood by using max protection packages since he knew what he had to work with. Again Joe know what kind of team he has and that is why he impelmented the plan he did at the beginning of the season (hindsight is always 20/20).

The advantage of the Shotgun spread is that the QB catches the snap, spots his receiver, and throws it in far less time than it takes when he is under center, drops back, play fakes, and then sets up in the pocket.

The O line doesn't have to hold its blocks for long. The D line can't use stunts because they take too long.

Max protect puts two receivers out in the pattern giving the defense the option to double the receivers or send more defenders on the blitz.

This isn't hindsight.

The advantage of the Shotgun spread is that the QB catches the snap, spots his receiver, and throws it in far less time than it takes when he is under center, drops back, play fakes, and then sets up in the pocket.

Im not here arguing against using a shotgun formation all I am saying is we have not won a single game since we "opened it up" more on offense. I was calling for more aggresive offensive philosophy as well. All I am saying is maybe coach Gibbs knew what he was doing earlier in the season. That is why I said hindsight is 20/20 we can now look back and see that maybe opening it up would not lead us to victories...and sure enough it seems that way so far. Hopefully we can contiune to use this more open philosophy as I think it will eventually click and be very effective not only on paper but in the win column as well.

For my thoughts on this thread, I'm not considering ST's death, because for all of the games except the Buffalo one, it was obviously not a factor (it apparantly was a non-factor during the Buffalo game either because the same Redskins team showed up).

So what the hell is the Redskins' problem this year? Let's analyze a couple of thoughts:

(1) The Redskins simply do not have the right talent/personel-

I immediately shoot down this theory. Why? Because if that were the case, we would be losing by a lot more. Besides the Pats game, we were not just "in" everygame, but we should have arguably WON all of those games. If we didn't have enough talent, we would see a lot of games decided by a lot more.

[

Honestly, every team in the NFL can say they were in every game except one. Even the Dolphins have lost about 10 of their games by less than 5 points. That's the nature of the league. But we do not have the talent to win the games. Simple.

Honestly, every team in the NFL can say they were in every game except one. Even the Dolphins have lost about 10 of their games by less than 5 points. That's the nature of the league. But we do not have the talent to win the games. Simple.

Great point.

We damn near lost a few more. If Miami wins the OT coin toss, Arizona hits that FG, the Jets did just a touch more and Philly would have come together a little quicker, we just might be sitting here as the only winless team in the NFL.

It's really not that far-fetched.

That's why I think it's crazy playing the "we would have won IF..." game.

We are a bad team with not much talent. We just need to clean house and start over. That would be best for everyone, IMO.

Archived