Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's really wrong with the Redskins this year

ceviker

For my thoughts on this thread, I'm not considering ST's death, because for all of the games except the Buffalo one, it was obviously not a factor (it apparantly was a non-factor during the Buffalo game either because the same Redskins team showed up).

So what the hell is the Redskins' problem this year? Let's analyze a couple of thoughts:

(1) The Redskins simply do not have the right talent/personel-

I immediately shoot down this theory. Why? Because if that were the case, we would be losing by a lot more. Besides the Pats game, we were not just "in" everygame, but we should have arguably WON all of those games. If we didn't have enough talent, we would see a lot of games decided by a lot more.

(2) The coach's call the worst plays and the players can't win with the stupid plays called.

- Yeah, ok. Sometimes, the coaching staff call some plays that scratch your head. But what coaching staff doesn't? (besides the Pats, apparantly). Reality is, if we executed plays against the Giants, we keep control of the ball and win. If Ladell Betts doesn't trip over his feet, he gets in and we win. If Santana doesn't drop 8 passes or doesn't even fumble, we beat the Packers. Tampa Bay - 6 turn overs and we still should have won. Dallas TO burned us for 4 touchdowns - but no, a JC turn over late. And don't forget all of this FGs instead of TDs we've missed. So yeah, there have been some questionable play calling, but for the most part, the playing call is there - the execution was not.

(3) It's injuries, man! No Jansen, no Thomas, no Moss, no ARE, no Sellers, no ST (RIP) etc etc.- Cry me a river. Every team has injuries. When Dallas lost their number 2 WR (who's a 1000+ yd receiver) for basically the year and their #1 corner to start the season, they didn't flinch a beat. EVERY team has injuries. Injuries don't explain the fact that we blow 2nd half leads. Injuries are not the reason Campbell throws the ball right to the other team's hands in key situations and fumbles so much as if a player blows on him. Yes, if we were 100% healthy, we'd be better, but again, that's not the reason.

(4) Coach Gibbs has no balls and we need a gutsy coach.

- On first glance, this seems like a winner. But think about it - the Giants game people say we lost because we got conservative. It sure felt like it, but that wasn't the case if you look back at the film. We lost because we started to throw the ball more. In fact, we throw the ball <20 times a game in the games we've won; we throw the ball nearly 30+ in the games we've lost. Think about that. And when Gibbs opts for the FG instead of going for it on 4th down he gets critized. And when he goes for it and misses it, he gets critized. I'll give you that he makes some calls that make you go crazy, but I don't think this is the problem either.

So what the hell is the problem? I think the real problem is heart. This team has no heart. This coaching staff has no heart. Because if they did, with this talent and this much brain power at the coaching levels, this would not happen. We have NO killer instinct. I am ENVIOUS of the Patriots because they have the heart of a champion and the eye of a killer. We have neither. No one gets fired up. If you can't get fired up and do WHATEVER it takes to not only win, but dominate a WEAK Bills team without their number 1 AND number 2 RB on a day where you're supposidly honoring a fallen teammate, you have NO heart.

Same goes for coaching. After losing 2 games like they did against NYG and GB, they should be FIRED up, PISSED off, and making sure the team NEVER has that kind of performance again. Forget about not, doing it again they've done it 4 more ****ing times!

No heart. No emotion. No killer instinct. That's what this team doesn't have. And it pains me, because with the talent on this team, we should have the record of the Cowboys this year. And what hurts me more, is that despite all of this, if we win our next 4, we WILL make the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong - I REALLY, REALLY do. But the problem is, this team doesn't have the heart to pull it off.

Nope, we have heart. We certainly have more heart than some crappy Bills team that is playing for nothing more than pride. However, our own ridiculous mistakes, injuries, and playcalling have killed us all season. I think it's a combination of all four options, with an emphasis on 2 and 3.

You can't possibly tell me that the Patriots have the most emotion and drive of any team in the league...they started panicking and pouting on the sidelines when the Eagles made it close for them. They don't need more heart than their opponents; they really are just that good.

(1) The Redskins simply do not have the right talent/personel-

I immediately shoot down this theory. Why? Because if that were the case, we would be losing by a lot more. Besides the Pats game, we were not just "in" everygame, but we should have arguably WON all of those games. If we didn't have enough talent, we would see a lot of games decided by a lot more.

others are good points too but you hit it on the nail with NUmber 1.

ill tell you what is wrong with the redskins. It is simple but you people doesnt seem to get it. You people just dont seem to get it!!!!!!!!!!

it comes down to talent. nothing else. did you get that? it comes down to TALENT. the so called super stars on the redskins arent super stars in the NFL. majority of the redskins arent great. They are bad to mediocre players. Their talent level isnt that great. we , the redskins fans and the organization has made these mediocre players into something they really arent. the so called super star players on the redskins arent universally seen as great in the NFL.except to redskins fans and majority of them are homer fans. Randy moss is seen as universally great in the NFL. Owen is seen as great not just by cowboys fans but by everyone in the NFL. .. u see the trend here? Mike sellers isnt that great of a football players. redskins fans have made him in to something we think he is. giving big contracts to players like randle el and llyod have made us think thaat they are super stars. these receivers are probably no better than 2nd or 3rd string receivers. u see the trend here? we have to win individual match ups and do you know why we lose them most of the time? you guess it! our opponents have better talents. it is what it is. with the most overrated coaching staff along with mediocre players equals redskins. its simple math.

doc walker said it best this morning. he said that so called redskins super stars dont make super star plays except for SEAN TAYLOR. and guess what, sadly He is gone!

edit: i missed the part about not having heart" listen pal, having or not having heart is overrated. talent over heart will always come up on top. stop smoking that weed and undertand that we arent as talented as many homer SKINS fans think we are.

whatever the reason its damn sickening to watch a team play a half of a game not a full game. play the 60 minutes and see the results.we can win if we play the whole game with a game plan and not going off the cuff every time the second half starts. oh yeah and it helps if the coach knows all the rules

Hmmm, I agree with parts of your post up until you criticize the teams heart. I will give this team credit, they always play with a ton of heart. That's part of the reason they're in every game at the end.

hey, again, you could have all the heart in the world but if you dont have the talent, forget about it. Sick of hearing about having heart and blah blah blah blah.

gibbs and the redskins fed up by not going for real talented players like randy moss which raiders were literally giving him away, owens.....etc

YEAH GIBBS WANTED PLAYERS WITH "CHARACTER" !!!!!!!!! WHAT A FREAKING JOKE!!!!!!!

but we should have arguably WON all of those games. If we didn't have enough talent, we would see a lot of games decided by a lot more.

You could aruge we should have lost many of those games (last minute field goal miss by Arizona for example, barely beating the worst team in football and winless Miami Dolphins).

hey, again, you could have all the heart in the world but if you dont have the talent, forget about it. Sick of hearing about having heart and blah blah blah blah.

gibbs and the redskins fed up by not going for real talented players like randy moss which raiders were literally giving him away, owens.....etc

YEAH GIBBS WANTED PLAYERS WITH "CHARACTER" !!!!!!!!! WHAT A FREAKING JOKE!!!!!!!

Then how are we able to kick ass at all then? We dominate our opponents for at least half of each game, every game. If we didn't have the required modicum of talent, we would never be able to be competitive.

It's a coaching issue!

Injuries!!!!You sat everyteam has injuries. Find me a team that has played the whole season missing 2/5 of the OL, has had their WR's (Moss and Randle EL) miss time with injuries, on defnse CB's(Smoot, and Sprins have missed time) their best corner(rogers) out for the season , a LB(washington) and their best player on defense ST gone.

No the injuries on this team are rediculous.

ceviker -- So what the hell is the problem? I think the real problem is heart.

I doubt it. These psychological explanations don't float for me. In my thinking, it comes down to talent, coaching, or a combination of the two.

Our talent level is right about at the league average. Like several teams, our roster depth is too thin to withstand even the expected amount of injuries.

On the offense, Saunders and Gibbs, from the Air Coryell tree, haven't been able to give us a consistent passing game although it showed flickering signs of life recently.

Bottom line: not enough talent; coaching not good enough to field a consistent winner.

Then how are we able to kick ass at all then? We dominate our opponents for at least half of each game, every game. If we didn't have the required modicum of talent, we would never be able to be competitive.

It's a coaching issue!

kick ass? what are you smoking there? we dominate at least half of each game? ill tell you what son, you keep rooting for teams that, as you put it, dominate at least every half of every game..... but cant put any scores (TDs) on the score board because real good/great teams play the entire game! not just one half but both halfs. I cant believe this guy is actually trying to debate with " AT LEAST WE PLAY AND DOMINATE ONE HALF OF EVERY GAME" analogy. UNfreakingREAL!!!!!!. HAHHAHAHyou do what you gotta do and youll never see the redskins win another super bowl. hell im hoping the redskins can at least stay with their opponents. i mean, i aint asking them to CONSISTENTLy beat their opponents convincingly every week. i mean after all who the hell do our opponents think they are. WE are the REDSKINS you knwo....! HAHAHHAH you have to learn how to distinguish and seperate player/teams/coaching staff. sure there are what 32 teams in the NFL and NFL is the highest league. it dont get better tha NFL right? so im assuming or at least hoping that the REDSKINS can stay with their opponents and give up a fight ... dont mean they are great or have great talents compare to elite/good teams in the league. again, this aint no rocket science son. it's easy as 1,2,3....

Where do these surreal homer fans come from?

next thing this guy is gonna tell me is how great gibbs and the coaching staff are. Highest paid coaching staff in the NFL . HAHAHAHAHHAH

Ladell Betts didn't trip over his own feet against the Giants, NY had four or five defenders that crossed the line of scrimmage, got penetration and were able to push Kendall and Rabach back into his lap :)

Actually before all that happened, he had a wide open left side behind Sellers but choose to run into a waiting LB

I doubt it. These psycological explanations don't float for me. In my thinking, it comes down to talent, coaching, or a combination of the two.

Our talent level is right about at the league average. Like several teams, our roster depth is too thin to withstand even the expected amount of injuries.

On the offense, Saunders and Gibbs, from the Air Coryell tree, haven't been able to give us a consistent passing game although it showed flickering signs of life recently.

Bottom line: not enough talent; coaching not good enough to field a consistent winner.

there you go. another fan living in the real world. it is simple as this!

Why do homers not understand this:

Name one player on the team that is the best in the league at his position.

Now name 3 players on the team that are the absolute best at their position.

Why is this so hard to see?

1. RIP

2. I agree

I think JC needs a little criticism, however, he is a reason why every game but one was close.

how many players on the Packers are the absolute best at their positions? :)

Green Bay has runners and receivers that are largely unheralded. Where is the dominant offensive lineman on this team?

what the Packers have that the Redskins don't is a GM and capable on field veteran leadership in Favre.

he is what has kept this team together. and the defense has improved immeasurably in the past 2 years due to the club's drafting of key players.

they are still young and outside of Kampman I wouldn't really call any of the Packers defenders all-league, but they are a solid group top to bottom.

I would say that we have the talent to be a perennial playoff team, with a thin secondary and WR corps being our main problem. At full health, I think this team could keep up with anyone. However, we have little depth (blame the FO for that one), which makes our injuries more devastating. When these injuries arise, our coaching staff plays it safe, which shows up as a weak offense and overly-conservative defense. The staff's own incompetence shows up in the ridiculous challenges, double timeouts, and poor clock management, but that's an entirely different ball of wax unrelated to the injuries.

next thing this guy is gonna tell me is how great gibbs and the coaching staff are. Highest paid coaching staff in the NFL . HAHAHAHAHHAH

Hey, look up a post or two. I just bashed the coaching staff; happy? ;)

I may be a homer, but I'm not wrong in saying that losing each game by one play is a sign of a lack of talent.

Why do homers not understand this:

Name one player on the team that is the best in the league at his position.

Now name 3 players on the team that are the absolute best at their position.

Why is this so hard to see?

We have 1 player I absolutely love and would hate to lose.. Chris Cooley.

1 player I think needs next year to see if he is the next QB. Jason Campbell.

Other than that, you can trade away all the other players and bring in new.

Archived