Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fantasy Coach: Who would you replace Gibbs with if you could?(mergedx2)

OxonHillSkinsFan89

Mike Martz is not the answer at all. I feel Gibbs could still be successful in his last year with the team if he turned loose of Greg Williams and Al Saunders and let them do what they do best. I think this would be the only way Gibbs and the current players and staff can be successful and return to the playoffs. The way he coached in the 80's just won't cut todays game, the 2 minute drill has changed the way games are played and hard to sit on a 3 or 7 point lead like in days of old.

Jason Garrett? What would like to have Norv all over again the Dallas help doesnt do well in DC ex. Norv, Deion, Noble. I would say Bill Cowher would be the best by far, we have a weak DL what better way to counter that with strong LB's which we have. You draft a young defensive lineman and we are set, if no Bill then I say keep Greg with the hope that Al stays. I want to see more of trucks the boy was a force in the preseason, and a 2nd middle linebacker is cheaper then a starting defensive tackle

We have a great foundation set right now. I think the most effective means of continuity would be to promote within by hiring Gregg Williams.

On the other hand, this possibility really intrigues me:

Four seasons later, Olivadotti, 33, is a position coach for the first time in his career, having been promoted before this season to oversee Washington's linebackers. Olivadotti has validated Williams's belief in him, coaches said, performing well in every assignment since he was retained as a quality control coach when Gibbs replaced Steve Spurrier before the 2004 season. And despite his relative inexperience, Olivadotti's ability to identify opponents' tendencies and provide useful tips for players has helped make him a key contributor on a coaching staff that is among the NFL's most experienced.

The Redskins, who play the Green Bay Packers today at Lambeau Field, have denied other teams' requests to interview Olivadotti for assistant positions, Williams said, because Olivadotti is too important to them and on track for bigger things.

"Coach K.O., man, he's awesome," cornerback Shawn Springs said. "He's unbelievably smart, and the way he handles his players is great. If I started a team, he'd be a real strong candidate for head coach. Whatever 'it' is, he's got it."

Olivadotti's easygoing demeanor ("He's not a holler-scream guy," Williams said) has been an asset in an intense line of work.

Perhaps Coach Olivadotti could be our version of Jason Garrett. Maybe he serves as defensive coordinator when Williams takes over, then becomes the next HC? :2cents:

Gibbs is not our problem. The problem is that this team cannot execute the plays that are called. I'm watching the Bills replay now and at the end of the 1st half we have two plays where a perfect pass to Cooley scores a touchdown. JC overthrows both. I'm also watching an offensive line that cannot protect the QB on numerous pass plays. And due to poor run blocking and Portis' inability to break through a line on his own, Portis often looks like a pinball bouncing around in the backfield looking for a chance opening instead of delivering a pounding to would-be tacklers. Our secondary often plays too soft and allows big gains from passes that should have had tighter coverage, especially on game-changing, 3rd-and-long plays where you know a pass is coming.

When this team is firing on all cylinders, it's unstoppable. But we don't seem to be doing that very often these days.

Coach Gibbs signed for 5 years.... We will have him for 5. Lets bring this topic back up say around the postseason time next year... :doh:

Lame duck coaches do not exist in the nfl. Coaches do not coach in the last year of a contract...there's always an extra-year window.

Gibbs will either resign, or be re-signed to a new contract THIS OFFSEASON. The only way Gibbs sticks around for 5 years is IF he signs an extension.

Something tells me Lane Kiffin is going to be really, really good in the near future. I like where the Oakland Raiders are heading. I don't mind having him as our coach. However, first thing's first. Get a damn GM.

We need someone to run the personnel process a la Beathard while we get a young head coach who only has to worry about coaching.

Pete Carroll will be the next coach of the Washington Redskins.

I like the idea, but Not sure he'd want to come here.

Basically you have the following categories of prospects:

Retread's with previous Pro Experience

Pete Carrol

Bill Cowher

Greg Williams (our Current D-Coord)

Mike Sherman (recently hired as Texas A&M or Tech Coach, can't remember which)

Jeff Fisher (Recently reupped so he's not really available)

Mike Martz (has worked with Saunders before I think?)

Fresh no Head Coach Experience:

Russ Grim

Norm Chow

Jason Garrett

Coaches from the College Scene:

Les Miles (recently made "committement" to stay at LSU but no extension that I am aware of)

Rich Rodriguez (recently extended at WVU)

Greg schiano (Rutgers)

Not sure what other College Coaches would "fit" in the pros :/

Joe has made some mistakes but so has every coach in the league. By the way, Schottenheimer was fired after one 8-8 season. That happens to be Gibbs' record his first year. Good thing JG wasn't fired after that first season. Marty has won everywhere he's been. I think JG has been plagued by key injuries that have really hurt, but I would not blame him for the senseless turnovers that have killed this team. If Joe left I would take Marty.

If he wants to stay for 1 more year and then decides not to extend his contract ( :laugh: at anyone thinking Snyder would ever fire him), I would like us to try and get Russ Grimm after Williams tenure (IF it's a short one). So far it seems that NFL coaches that have left the game and came back haven't done too well. I was thinking of Cowher, but that might happen to him also. The only one who had any measurable success at it was Parcells with the Pats (Super Bowl appearance). Grimm did well with the Steelers and is helping the Cardinals look decent this year.

I like the idea, but Not sure he'd want to come here.

Basically you have the following categories of prospects:

Retread's with previous Pro Experience

Pete Carrol

Bill Cowher

Greg Williams (our Current D-Coord)

Mike Sherman (recently hired as Texas A&M or Tech Coach, can't remember which)

Jeff Fisher (Recently reupped so he's not really available)

Mike Martz (has worked with Saunders before I think?)

Fresh no Head Coach Experience:

Russ Grim

Norm Chow

Jason Garrett

Coaches from the College Scene:

Les Miles (recently made "committement" to stay at LSU but no extension that I am aware of)

Rich Rodriguez (recently extended at WVU)

Greg schiano (Rutgers)

Not sure what other College Coaches would "fit" in the pros :/

wow no black coaches qualify?

Other then the fact that Russ Grimm was a great player for us, why do you think he is going to be a good coach for us?

He hasn't exactly been a miracle worker in Arizona.

Loyalty or nostalgia seems to be driving the Grimm recommendations moreso than merit. Adn loyalty or nostalgia didn't get us anywhere with Gibbs II.

Grimm has a pretty good rep around the league and has interviewed for a couple of head coaching jobs. He has made the Card's offense better in just one year.

I think he is a no-nonsense and highly driven guy, which I want to see in a head coach.

It's not just some misplaced nostalgia about the man. Give me some credit.

Ok then. How about Jason Garrett of the Cowboys. Cowher's offense just bores me.

Dude, we'd be damn lucky to have Cowher as our head Coach... even if he bores you.

I've said I'd like Garrett here, but the more I've thought about it... the more I think not.

Garrett has put together an awesome offense in Dallas, but they have a guy named Sparanoe (sp?) that was their offensive coordinator last year and he led them to a #5 overall ranking on offense last year. Anyway, he's giving considerable help to Garrett on offense this year and I think he's a big part of their offense too. Garrett has Romo sits to pee in Dallas, which he won't have elsewhere, and that is a huge reason for their success.

Plus, Garrett was still playing like three or four years ago and he was only a second year QB coach last year. There was plenty of questions about if he could be an offensive coordinator so soon... much less a head coach.

I think he needs at least a couple more years as a coordinator before he tries to run an entire ballclub.

I do think he'll be great... but not yet.

Cowher is ready now and he'd be 1000 times better than what we currently have.

Problem with him though is that he'll likely want to go to a 3-4 defense and we don't have many guys who would transfer in our front 7 on defense. That in itself would be a couple years rebuilding job.

Anyway... no matter who we get, I think we're in for a rebuilding job. :2cents:

Archived