Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES COVERAGE: Gibbs' Presser/S. Taylor Shooting (Final Thoughts)

JimmiJo

ES COVERAGE: Gibbs' Presser/S. Taylor Shooting

11/26/07

:helmet:

Well folks, I don't think we much care about yesterday's game much anymore. Now all thoughts are on Sean Taylor and his well being. Sometimes things happen that help put things in perspective, and this is one of them.

I am at Redskins' Park and the mood here is all business. I will tell you at the outset that I know no more than you, and the guys here that might aren't talking. When news breaks and guys get tips, they don't tend to share.

Obviously the news of Taylor's being shot is a big surprise to all of us, and the latest reports are not doing much to assuage concern. Coming in I heard that Taylor lost a lot of blood, was operated on, is now out of surgery, and has yet to regain conciousness. I expect that we will get more info when Gibbs speaks.

I will give you anything I get as soon as I get it. Stand by.

4:15PM

I've got nothing new here as far as Taylor's condition. Apparently the only to have said anything of significance was Jason La Canfora's source, Richard Sharpstein.

I did however hear from Huly and there is a vigil for Sean Taylor planned to commence at 6PM here at Redskins Park. Check the stickied thread for the particulars.

AUDIO

To listen to Coach Gibbs' press conference click HERE

To listen to Coach Williams' comments click HERE

To listen to Vinny Cerrato comments click HERE

Coach Gibbs

“It’s extremely serious.”

Those were the words of Coach Gibbs describing Sean Taylor’s condition. I wish you could have been here to see the emotion in Coach Gibbs’ face and demeanor. One could sense that this situation has affected the coach profoundly.

Taylor’s situation, while unclear, is apparently grave. I’ve heard the term “clinging to life” used and no-one is refuting this. Gibbs told us early in the presser that he has very little information on Taylor’s health and I suspect that any real news on this will come out of Miami.

I was able to get the second question in today and I asked the coach, as important as football is; does this situation put things in perspective. In answering, Gibbs eyes turned red and his voice became a bit unsteady. “For all of us who reflect on life, we see how fragile life is.” he said. “For me personally, to see the way Sean had grown since he came here, and the way he had impressed all of us. I knew also how much his baby meant to him. He would come to the complex here, and have that baby, and I could see in him a maturing process you know, and going through that when we get our first child. And so, all those things go through my mind, and yes it puts it on a personal basis.”

The news that came out of this presser was that Team Owner Daniel Snyder and a “contingent” of team officials has flown to Florida to be with Taylor and the family. When asked, Gibbs said that he would probably not go there. This makes sense as he needs to be here to get ready for the Bills.

The other news was that Gibbs did know about a break-in at Taylor’s house last week, but did not know that Taylor had gone back to Florida this past weekend. Gibbs said that Taylor had called last week from Miami to tell him that he would miss a Monday meeting because of a break-in at Taylor’s home. Gibbs said that as far as he knew that situation had been resolved. According to Gibbs, Taylor had received treatment on his knee here in Ashburn on Saturday and that was the last he knew of Taylor’s whereabouts.

Gibbs told us that he has spoken to Taylor’s father, but did not give us any details of that conversation.

Gibbs told us that he has never been through this sort of situation.

Coach Williams will be making a statement shortly, and I will get that audio up.

Gregg Williams

When you see a hard-nosed coach like Gregg Williams begin to choke back tears as he speaks to you on a player, you get a sense of the gravity of things here at Redskins’ Park.

Williams described his relationship with Sean Taylor in terms of parent/child. He said that Taylor holds a special place in Williams’ heart as Taylor was the first player Williams drafted with the Redskins. Williams echoed Coach Gibbs’ comments on the maturation of Taylor. Williams acknowledged that it is hard for many of us to know this as Taylor does not speak to the press much, but assured us that there has been growth and maturity.

Finally, Williams told us that there is power in prayer, and asked each of us to pray for Sean Taylor.

Vigil 6:50PM

I just got in from the vigil outside the gate. There are currently about three dozen folks, but more are trickling in. I spoke to Pez who told me he had heard from people stuck in traffic. The vigil is not limited to ES'er as some TV and radio folks announced it. I did speak to Huly and got to meet Thelongshot (good man there).

As far as what's doing, people are lighting candles and speaking quietly. There are a lot of #21 jerseys there and one guy brought a poster he has been working on which is sort of montage of photographs of Taylor and other Redskins. Just before I came in a group prayer was conducted. One of the fans lead the prayer and it was touching.

I am sure you will see segments covering the vigil on the news as most of the local TV guys were out there. I will pop back out there in a few to see how things are going.

7PM

Vinny Cerrato will be calling in shortly with an update. Stand by for audio.

7:15PM

Vinny Cerrato has confirmed that Sean Taylor is responsive to commands to sqeeze his hand and make a facial expression.

8PM

Just back in from the vigil. It went very well with people continuing to stream in and out. The fans were more than encouraged by the good news of Taylor's responsiveness and in fact it was Larry Michael who walked out personally to tell them.

When I arrived, folks were in a circle talking about their favorite ST moments, hits, and hijinx. News folks continued to stop by and interview people there and I was more than happy to introduce Huly and Pez to members of the press looking for someone to speak with.

Towards the end there was another group prayer and this was maybe more touching than the first.

Below is the official release from Dade County regarding this incident. Since the news is good and since I think that is about all we are going to get tonight so I will probably wrap up. Let's hope for continued good news tomorrow.

TOPIC: Shooting Investigation

CASE NUMBER: PD071126635583

DATE & TIME OF OCCURRENCE: November 26, 2007, at approximately 1:46 a.m.

ADDRESS OF OCCURRENCE: 18050 Old Cutler Road

Palmetto Bay, Florida

SUBJECT(S): Unknown

VICTIM:

NAME: Sean Michael Maurice Taylor (B/M)

ADDRESS:

D.O.B: April 1, 1983

NARRATIVE:

Mr. Sean Michael Maurice Taylor was the victim of a shooting. He was transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital where he remains in critical condition. The investigation of this incident is in its preliminary stages. Please do not contact the Communications Bureau Shift Commander for updates.

UPDATE:

According to a preliminary investigation, it appears that the victim was shot inside the home by an intruder. There are signs of forced entry at the residence. However, Investigators, still processing the scene, have not yet determined if these signs were caused during this incident, or as result of a residential burglary reported at the residence on November 18, 2007. Mr. Taylor’s girlfriend and child were at the residence during the incident, but were not injured. We do not have a subject description at this time.

Any additional information regarding this case will be released as it becomes available. We do not anticipate the release of any additional information this evening. Please do not contact the Communications Bureau Shift Commander for updates.

Final Thoughts

Today was tough duty for me. Normally when covering the team I am sort of divorced emotionally in order to try to ask good questions and report on what goes on (and this is how I as a fan can show up week in and out to cover a 5-11 team, as I did last year).

This was difficult to do today.

What the team, the media, the Taylor family, and the fans dealt with today transcended football. It was more important that wins and losses, 4th down play calling, and ill-advised passes. And while the overarching story was (and is) Sean Taylor and his health, today was also about his impact on his coaches, fellow players, and the organization in general.

It was further about the impact on the supporters of the team, and how many would come with little notice to stand in a dark, rainy field - doing their best to light candles in the wind, offer prayers, and show support. I'm sure that the thousands who couldn't make it did their part to offer prayers and encouraging thoughts.

Now, before I am accused of hyperbole - this wasn't a tragedy beyond others. Somewhere there is a young man fighting for his life who none of us ever heard of because he is not an athlete. Surely we have members of the armed forces in this condition right now. I appreciate this and am not suggesting that this is a more significant event because of who Sean Taylor is in football.

But I do suggest to you that this is tragic still. And as difficult as it was to consider what may happen to Taylor the football hero 1,500 miles away in Florida, it was maybe more difficult to stand a few feet from people like Joe Gibbs and Gregg Williams as they fought back tears in speaking of Sean Taylor the person.

Quote of the Day

"You know, people think we in the media love this kind of story. I hate having to be here and ask questions while this is going on." - John Keim, Washington Examiner

as·suage

[uh-sweyj, uh-sweyzh] –verb (used with object), -suaged, -suag·ing.

1. to make milder or less severe; relieve; ease; mitigate: to assuage one's grief; to assuage one's pain.

2. to appease; satisfy; allay; relieve: to assuage one's hunger.

3. to soothe, calm, or mollify: to assuage his fears; to assuage her anger.

nice work jimmyjo. me learn new word. ;)

as·suage

[uh-sweyj, uh-sweyzh] –verb (used with object), -suaged, -suag·ing.

1. to make milder or less severe; relieve; ease; mitigate: to assuage one's grief; to assuage one's pain.

2. to appease; satisfy; allay; relieve: to assuage one's hunger.

3. to soothe, calm, or mollify: to assuage his fears; to assuage her anger.

nice work jimmyjo. me learn new word. ;)

thanks , needed help with that one

Just saw the presser on Redskins.com. While there is a lot to comment on, I was very much annoyed with the reporter on Gibbs' right who kept asking football questions. That was the first question asked.

Football at this point is very much secondary.

Just saw the presser on Redskins.com. While there is a lot to comment on, I was very much annoyed with the reporter on Gibbs' right who kept asking football questions. That was the first question asked.

Football at this point is very much secondary.

I liked those questions. They weren't so much about football as they were about how they'll handle every day life (which happens to be preparing for a football game).

I hated the questions being asked about the actual case or situation in Miami because Gibbs isn't going to have that info. I think Gibbs did a great job making it clear that he doesn't really know more than we do.

I liked those questions. They weren't so much about football as they were about how they'll handle every day life (which happens to be preparing for a football game).

I hated the questions being asked about the actual case or situation in Miami because Gibbs isn't going to have that info. I think Gibbs did a great job making it clear that he doesn't really know more than we do.

I hear ya, but I still thought it was in poor taste. The first questions shouldn't have been, how do you prepare the team for the game on Sunday, IMO.

A kid is DYING in a hospital.

Joe just said that Sean told him someone had either broken into or attempted to break into his house a couple of days ago - something to that effect.

Might not have been a random crime afterall.

I just saw this on SI.com: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/11/26/bc.fbn.redskins.taylors.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

"The attack on Taylor came eight days after another invasion was reported at his home. According to police records, someone pried open a front window, rifled through his drawers and left a kitchen knife on a bed...

...Sharpstein, however, said Taylor's girlfriend told him the couple was awakened at night by loud noises in the home and that Taylor had grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection. Someone then broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots, one of which missed and one that hit Taylor, the attorney said.

"It was clearly a burglary, an armed burglary," Sharpstein said, adding that nothing appeared to have been stolen."

Archived