Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GW's defense and Prioleau vs. Dallas

Redzone Offense

GW has the Gibbitish. He plays the conservative game now. Expect more bend but don't break. Ooh the good old days when GW use to blitz players from all over the place. Seems so long ago.

I think you are sadly mistaken...GW is the same person he was when he was in Buffalo...refuses to adjust his system appropriately, and doomed for failure after 3 years. And in case you don't remember GW stopped blitzing all the time back last year when everytime he did we got burned...and guess what...he did it on Sunday..sent everyone and what happened? Westbrook breaks for a 58 yard TD. So I think you are trying to place blame on Gibbs for something you shouldn't so why don't you jump off that bandwagon. Seems like the "IN" thing to do now is blame Gibbs for everything, even when people man up and say it was their fault.

So why don't we blame Gibbs for the high gas prices now as well :rolleyes:

I think you are sadly mistaken...GW is the same person he was when he was in Buffalo...refuses to adjust his system appropriately, and doomed for failure after 3 years. And in case you don't remember GW stopped blitzing all the time back last year when everytime he did we got burned...and guess what...he did it on Sunday..sent everyone and what happened? Westbrook breaks for a 58 yard TD. So I think you are trying to place blame on Gibbs for something you shouldn't so why don't you jump off that bandwagon. Seems like the "IN" thing to do now is blame Gibbs for everything, even when people man up and say it was their fault.

:applause:

Philly beat us Sunday, with the help of Sean getting injured as well as no execution.

:applause:

Philly beat us Sunday, with the help of Sean getting injured as well as no execution.

yeah pretty much. But honestly, I think our D as a whole is still shell shocked from the Patriots game. They haven't looked the same since. We missed too many tackles, and allowed too many runs. I don't think they were prepared for a mobile McNabb. He's been pretty much stationary this season, and was for most of the game on Sunday. He ran once and then it was like a light switch went off in his head and he became the scrambling McNabb of a couple seasons ago. :doh:

Our Offense however, has gotten better and better. And now with Saunders/Gibbs letting Campbell call more from the line we will only see improvements.

Couple of points;

It goes without saying that our secondary won't be as good with a starter out.

It goes without saying that it will be even worse given that the starter is a pro bowler.

It goes without saying that it will be an even bigger challenge given the type offense Dallas has and the players they have.

What I haven't seen mentioned is that Dallas isn't just throwing the ball 60 yards and beating people deep. They are beating people off the line and turning medium passes into long TD's because there are no deep safeties.

If we play deep like we have been, like we did against the Pats, they will get lots and lots of under/medium stuff and it turns into a patience game. Can they sustain? Can we get a turnover?

The Pats wrote the book on beating our D. The Jets, with a guy starting his second game, had success. The Eagles beat us and Dallas would seem to be a good bet to not only repeat the process but it is what they do anyway.

It all comes down to execution; if Dallas executes, we can't stop them. So, then do you just take chances and try to make something happen or keep playing for the mistakes? We're not good enough to force the issue. So, we play for mistakes.

When we have the ball, if we execute, we can move the ball and score. If our execution was better, we'd have three more wins.

Good teams execute. Not so good teams make mistakes. Good teams can have bad days. Not so good teams have good days. We have a chance; we execute, they make just enough mistakes. That's why the games are played.

Uh, Williams didn't blitz on the Westbrook touchdown. There were only four guys rushing the QB. The problem was the D-Line not identifying the screen and getting back to make a play on Westbrook.

Blitzing is most effective when used judiciously, especially when you are going against a good line and a QB who can unload the ball quickly.

Jason

Uh, Williams didn't blitz on the Westbrook touchdown. There were only four guys rushing the QB. The problem was the D-Line not identifying the screen and getting back to make a play on Westbrook.

Blitzing is most effective when used judiciously, especially when you are going against a good line and a QB who can unload the ball quickly.

Jason

you sure about that...looked like a couple more then 4 rushing in. can someone check that who has it taped....I know I wasn't that drunk on Sunday ;)

But it did make a nice group photo meeting at the qb as Donovan got rid of it, wasn't it?

God, they pulled that off perfect.

sounds like an excuse without actually saying it. ST wouldnt make that big of a difference

Really? You guys have selective memory. SeanT has punked TO out every game. When he played for Philly and he broke his finger last year. Made Terry Glenn curl up in a fetal position when he saw SeanT coming.

But don't take my word for it. Ask your boy patrick crayton.

I have nothing against PP and I think he is a quality player that knows the game well. Having said that he is physically limited and I worry even if he is at the right spot at the right time he will still be beat due to his lack of physical talent (speed, strength and athleticism).

If Im Romo sits to pee and I see PP on TO even if PP has perfect position I thorw the damn ball up for grabs as TO can outmuscle, outjump, outrun PP any day all day. Again PP may always be in the right spot but he is very limited physically especially against guys like TO.

Really? You guys have selective memory. SeanT has punked TO out every game. When he played for Philly and he broke his finger last year. Made Terry Glenn curl up in a fetal position when he saw SeanT coming.

But don't take my word for it. Ask your boy patrick crayton.

No, I mean its stupid for me to say, no ST makes no difference.

He obviously would because he is a beast, but we're also dealing with injuries including our secondary; and it just seems like a card everyone is ready to use if the skins lose the game.

No, I mean its stupid for me to say, no ST makes no difference.

He obviously would because he is a beast, but we're also dealing with injuries including our secondary; and it just seems like a card everyone is ready to use if the skins lose the game.

That might be one of the dumbest uses of logic that I've ever, ever read.

Sean Taylor is a top-three safety in the league, if that low. He is an absolute game changer and without him in the lineup we are severely limited. How many points did Philly score IMMEDIATELY after Taylor left the game? 20 something? What was the FIRST play after Sean Taylor left the game? A touchdown?

Please do some research and rethink your logic before making a post like this. With your new status, this post certainly does nothing to bolster your credibility.

you sure about that...looked like a couple more then 4 rushing in. can someone check that who has it taped....I know I wasn't that drunk on Sunday ;)

Maybe you just aren't used to seeing four linemen getting to the QB. ;)

I remember from the replay that it was just the four D-Linemen. No blitzers.

Jason

Couple of points;

It goes without saying that our secondary won't be as good with a starter out.

It goes without saying that it will be even worse given that the starter is a pro bowler.

It goes without saying that it will be an even bigger challenge given the type offense Dallas has and the players they have.

What I haven't seen mentioned is that Dallas isn't just throwing the ball 60 yards and beating people deep. They are beating people off the line and turning medium passes into long TD's because there are no deep safeties.

If we play deep like we have been, like we did against the Pats, they will get lots and lots of under/medium stuff and it turns into a patience game. Can they sustain? Can we get a turnover?

The Pats wrote the book on beating our D. The Jets, with a guy starting his second game, had success. The Eagles beat us and Dallas would seem to be a good bet to not only repeat the process but it is what they do anyway.

It all comes down to execution; if Dallas executes, we can't stop them. So, then do you just take chances and try to make something happen or keep playing for the mistakes? We're not good enough to force the issue. So, we play for mistakes.

When we have the ball, if we execute, we can move the ball and score. If our execution was better, we'd have three more wins.

Good teams execute. Not so good teams make mistakes. Good teams can have bad days. Not so good teams have good days. We have a chance; we execute, they make just enough mistakes. That's why the games are played.

There you have it, gents. Another high quality, well reasoned post with insightful Skins-related commentary/analysis! Mr.Gude, I agree completely with you, sir. In fact, let me also add that this is a rivalry game IN DIVISION. I have said this before(& I don't mind saying it again); funny things happen in these sorta games.

Look at last week. The cleveland browns went to pittsburgh & took the fight to the steelers. It's a testament to that organization that those same steelers rallied to win. I'm telling you guys, rivalry games produce some interesting results! The Skins are entirely capable of Winning this matchup. Some people behave as if this position is ridiculous. I personally believe that they are ridiculous.

Like someone said on here, it would be interesting to see GW put Landry at FS until Taylor is healthy.

You know, I was kinda thinking the same thing initially, but you'd be weakening two spots by doing that, since Landry isn't used to playing the FS position, and you'd have to put someone else in there who isn't as good as Landry.

I can't believe some here are suggesting Doughty, since he's had his issues out there when he's been in. He's a good special teamer, but I'd be far more worried if he was starting.

Jason

My main issue with GW is his philosaphy that players "fit" into his scheme. He makes no adjustment based on who he has playing. How long did it take him to let ST play to his strength? God forbid during a game we have to make an adjustment! PP is NOT ST, he can't ball hawk the field like ST, and he can't hit like ST. However, I think GW will still make him try and play like ST because it fits his scheme.

I started this thread last night after watching the game again on NFL Replay late last night. I appreciate the insightfulness some of you added. While we don't need to blitz every down, at least now and then to show some aggressiveness is better than never. Sometimes it does shake up the qb or keeps him guessing.

Our defense can hang w/ the Cowboys, but GW has to play it just right. I hope they execute and get it right.

Prioleau was beat for a touchdown on a remarkable play by Reggie Brown on a poorly thrown ball by McNabb. Not many guys could make that catch, and even fewer could make the adjustment defensively. How do this all of a sudden equal Prioleau=suck. Last year everyone's excuse for our poor secondary was the loss of Prioleau, now after one play he is fault of our defense. Instead of always trying to single out one play, player, or coach, why can't we just ask for the TEAM to play better.
Because that would actually make sense.

Archived