Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

snES online

PokerPacker

If Sega didn't release the Saturn, and kept supporting the Genesis, the numbers in America (20 mil to 15.4 mil) would be different.

Super Nintendo caught & surpassed the Genesis after Sega moved on.

The Saturns failure has nothing to do with this. Don't get me started on the Saturn. It, like the Dreamcast, was a great system that couldn't hold onto enough support & died painful deaths.... :(

The Genesis came out 2 years before the SNES everywhere it was sold. The original competition was between the regular NES and the Genesis. Even so, the NES destroyed Sega early on.

Once the Sega caught on, Nintendo finally designed the SNES when the Sega was already establishing itself in households. Quite a head start.

I remember the whirlwind of the SNES vs. Sega thing and how kids were all up in arms about which was better. The thing about it was, most kids had the Sega and some of the kids didn't have the newly-released SNES yet. It was merely favoritism. In hindsight, the SNES was the better overall system. Although, my favorite game out of any on those systems belongs to Sega Genesis - Streets of Rage 2. That and Road Rash II are all I really played on Sega. The Sonic games were fun of course, but I'd take Mario World any day over them.

Yo you folks are talking about snes emulators try getting the killer instinct 1 & 2 harddisk image and u64emu(it's the arcade versions of killer instinct) not the cheesy snes afterbirth that was put out onto the market.Also if you want netplay on an emulator try Kawaks and download kaillera for the net play,also neorage is a good emulator for neogeo games.

Whoever was trash talking about us youngins not growing up on the NES, SNES, and Genesis, are completely wrong. The NES was the first system I owned. I was 6 or 7 when I got it. How they charged $100 for that thing, I don't know, but man did I have some fun on it. Then the Genesis. Anyone remember Earthworm Jim? So good.

And I'll second that Road Rash II was amazing. I loved beating the **** out of guys with chains and macing them.

Why aren't games as good anymore? :(

Whoever was trash talking about us youngins not growing up on the NES, SNES, and Genesis, are completely wrong. The NES was the first system I owned. I was 6 or 7 when I got it. How they charged $100 for that thing, I don't know, but man did I have some fun on it. Then the Genesis. Anyone remember Earthworm Jim? So good.

And I'll second that Road Rash II was amazing. I loved beating the **** out of guys with chains and macing them.

Why aren't games as good anymore? :(

So? Atari was the first system I owned but I didn't "grow up" on it. I was buying SNES and Genesis games the day they hit the shelves with my allowence money in the early 90's. Let's see, Genesis came out when you were -2 and SNES came out when you were 1. I already beat Super Star Wars when you were trying to fit triangles in to square holes.

And Road Rash II didn't have mace, only chains and night sticks ;)

So? Atari was the first system I owned but I didn't "grow up" on it. I was buying SNES and Genesis games the day they hit the shelves with my allowence money in the early 90's. Let's see, Genesis came out when you were -2 and SNES came out when you were 1. I already beat Super Star Wars when you were trying to fit triangles in to square holes.

And Road Rash II didn't have mace, only chains and night sticks ;)

Maybe I'm talking about Road Rash III. :D I don't know what I grew up on, but I know that I didn't get PS1 until late in the game. I preferred the 64 anyway.

The Genesis came out 2 years before the SNES everywhere it was sold. The original competition was between the regular NES and the Genesis. Even so, the NES destroyed Sega early on.

Once the Sega caught on, Nintendo finally designed the SNES when the Sega was already establishing itself in households. Quite a head start.

For the Record, I am a Sega fanboy. :)

The Genesis didn't really take off until Sonic came out.

When the Genesis first hit the market, it had the same problem the Master System had. No third party support. The titles at launch of the Genesis was Altered Beast, Joe Montana Football, Tommy Lasorda Baseball, etc....

None of those games were classics. Then the Genesis marketing blitz started, who can forget "Genesis does what NintenDONT"

Still, the NES had the foothold. It was cheaper, it had more games, everyone knew what it was. The Turbo Grafx 16 had already bombed, so people weren't sure about the Genesis.

Then, 2 things happened. Sonic the Hedgehog came out & was a huge hit. The second part was the partnership with Electronic Arts. Madden, NBA Live, and the NHL series were huge hits on the Genesis. The first releases of all those games were only on the Genesis (Because the SNES wasn't out yet). Teenage sports gamers could play NHL, Bulls/Lakers, or Madden with real teams instead of what was available on the NES. (Tecmo Super Bowl not withstanding, of course....)

EA moved systems, thats what gave the Genesis the lead. Then, when the second batch came out on both systems, the Genesis ones were better. Because EA knew what to do on that machine, while putting out a first effort on the SNES. And if you bought the Genesis for Madden, you didn't need the Super Nintendo.

SNES started to make a comeback, then got slaughtered with the Mortal Kombat release with no blood. The SNES version looked 1000X better than the Genesis, but you couldn't rip peoples heads off.

SNES realized that & fixed that problem with Mortal Kombat II, which was excellent.

By then, Sega was deemed the winner of the 16 bit era. Sega, being the idiots that they always were, figured they could win the 32 bit era if they got a head start again. Even though the head start wasn't why they won the 16 bit battle.

Hence the Saturn, and the loss of the 32 bit era, plus the revised history of the 16 bit era that is out there today......

SNES started to make a comeback, then got slaughtered with the Mortal Kombat release with no blood. The SNES version looked 1000X better than the Genesis, but you couldn't rip peoples heads off.

that's not exactly true, there was a "blood code" that you could put in that would activate blood and the bloody finishing moves, if my memory serves correctly.

that's not exactly true, there was a "blood code" that you could put in that would activate blood and the bloody finishing moves, if my memory serves correctly.

There was a blood code on the Genesis. (A,B,A,C,A,B,B. I know, I'm a loser)

The SNES had something too, but I think you needed the Game Genie for it.

I remember everybody being super exited, and then ultra dissapointed in the span of 1/2 an hour the day MK came out for SNES.....

For the Record, I am a Sega fanboy. :)

The Genesis didn't really take off until Sonic came out.

When the Genesis first hit the market, it had the same problem the Master System had. No third party support. The titles at launch of the Genesis was Altered Beast, Joe Montana Football, Tommy Lasorda Baseball, etc....

None of those games were classics. Then the Genesis marketing blitz started, who can forget "Genesis does what NintenDONT"

Still, the NES had the foothold. It was cheaper, it had more games, everyone knew what it was. The Turbo Grafx 16 had already bombed, so people weren't sure about the Genesis.

Then, 2 things happened. Sonic the Hedgehog came out & was a huge hit. The second part was the partnership with Electronic Arts. Madden, NBA Live, and the NHL series were huge hits on the Genesis. The first releases of all those games were only on the Genesis (Because the SNES wasn't out yet). Teenage sports gamers could play NHL, Bulls/Lakers, or Madden with real teams instead of what was available on the NES. (Tecmo Super Bowl not withstanding, of course....)

EA moved systems, thats what gave the Genesis the lead. Then, when the second batch came out on both systems, the Genesis ones were better. Because EA knew what to do on that machine, while putting out a first effort on the SNES. And if you bought the Genesis for Madden, you didn't need the Super Nintendo.

SNES realized that & fixed that problem with Mortal Kombat II, which was excellent.

By then, Sega was deemed the winner of the 16 bit era. Sega, being the idiots that they always were, figured they could win the 32 bit era if they got a head start again. Even though the head start wasn't why they won the 16 bit battle.

Hence the Saturn, and the loss of the 32 bit era, plus the revised history of the 16 bit era that is out there today......

I think the head start absolutely contributed to Sega gaining a strong foothold in the gaming world. Nintedo became arrogant and milked NES dry. The sales of Super Mario 3 trounced everything at its time. I believe it's still the highest selling game of all time. But afterwards, Sega started making a huge ad campaign and Segas were starting to be bought. It wasn't the quality of the SNES that let the Genesis gain ground, it was the ignorance of Nintendo's management. People were getting hungry and Sega filled their tummies. When SNES came out, the tides started to turn but the 16 bit era was already ending about 4 years afterwards. They may not have won the initial battle, but Nintendo obviously came out on top.

There was a blood code on the Genesis. (A,B,A,C,A,B,B. I know, I'm a loser)

The SNES had something too, but I think you needed the Game Genie for it.

I remember everybody being super exited, and then ultra dissapointed in the span of 1/2 an hour the day MK came out for SNES.....

hey, at least it was PLAYABLE on the SNES

SNES was better but growing up that was the only console at my friend's house and I never played much of the Genesis. Anyways , I've set up my Zsnes and am ready to play online whenever you all want to play , the new controller works fine.

did you set up port-forwarding so you can host?

wait, Sega had 3 buttons, right? so you have Flip, Pass, and Shoot. Could you control the goalie?

To control the goalie you held down the B button for a second. Tapping the B button would switch you to the closest defender to the puck.

The only year the controller was a problem was the year they put the "Spin-O-Rama" in. That was 96, I think.

To do that, you hit start. Which was an issue when you wanted to pause the game....

To control the goalie you held down the B button for a second. Tapping the B button would switch you to the closest defender to the puck.

The only year the controller was a problem was the year they put the "Spin-O-Rama" in. That was 96, I think.

To do that, you hit start. Which was an issue when you wanted to pause the game....

I had sega controllers with 6 buttons, but never had any game that needed them. That fixed those problems, right?

I had sega controllers with 6 buttons, but never had any game that needed them. That fixed those problems, right?

The only games Genesis needed the 6 button for were the fighting games.

As for fixing that? I have no clue. I never bought a 6 button, and 3 months after NHL 96 was out, I had already bought my Saturn.....

I think what really put SNES over the top of Genesis was the Donkey Kong Country series. Those damn games were so much fun, especially if you tried to complete all the bonus levels in the game.

I bought the official guide so I could do it. Amazing times. There isn't any other way to play those games than to get every secret level.

I think what really put SNES over the top of Genesis was the Donkey Kong Country series. Those damn games were so much fun, especially if you tried to complete all the bonus levels in the game.

I bought the official guide so I could do it. Amazing times. There isn't any other way to play those games than to get every secret level.

original didn't have secret levels.

original didn't have secret levels.

Maybe I said it incorrectly. You'd go in to barrels hidden around the level and complete the challenge. I think you'd get some kind of secret coin, I don't remember, it's been 10 years since I've played those games.

Anyway, there were 100 challenge stages hidden throughout the game. You'd have to negotiate some hard jumps or bust through walls to get to them. Maybe it was only 2 and 3...

Archived