Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama Dancing on the Ellen show

#98QBKiller

Uh, I think we'd all agree that serving as President doesn't require a person to not have any idiosyncrasies.

Heck, the entire late-night-comic industry depends on them.

(Don't know why, but I'm remembering a Molly Ivans comment that "George Bush revealed today that God speaks through him, leaving us to marvel that apparently God cannot pronounce 'nuclear' and has yet to master subject-verb agreement.")

Smart move by Obama, I'd say.

First, because Ellen's show has an audience that's probably comprised of mostly liberal, mostly female voters, and by appearing there, he can appeal to an audience that otherwise would probably skew toward nominating Hillary.

Second, by showing off his dance moves, he can put himself in contrast with Hillary's somewhat "cold and calculating" public persona. Remember that when Bill Clinton played the saxophone on TV (Saturday Night Live?), it was widely viewed as helping him woo younger voters, and that a significant factor in G.W.'s success in 2000 was that he was widely seen as an approachable guy that people (for better or worse) might want to "have a beer with".

The only people who'd likely be turned off by this are people who'd never vote for him anyway, so he has little to lose and maybe a lot to gain.

Smart move by Obama, I'd say.

First, because Ellen's show has an audience that's probably comprised of mostly liberal, mostly female voters, and by appearing there, he can appeal to an audience that otherwise would probably skew toward nominating Hillary.

Never know...might go the other way too. I can see some blue collar male going wtf is he doing on Ellen

Never know...might go the other way too. I can see some blue collar male going wtf is he doing on Ellen
I could see the conversation in the factory...

"Did you see that Obama guy on Ellen? No way I'm voting for that fruit."

"Dude, you watch Ellen?" :slap:

I hear you, but his most immediate concern is to get the nomination, and to do that he needs to appeal to the mostly liberal base of the Democratic party. If and when he gets nominated, then he can then move toward the center by campaigning from the back of a pickup truck or something.

Also, I'd bet that any blue collar males who'll be voting in the primaries probably understand that they can't expect to kick the lesbians out of the party, and have already come to terms with it (feel free to insert your own joke here about partying with lesbians). ;)

Archived