Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Compare and contrast: Extremeskins Then & Now

Beauty is Only

Back in the day, it was a surprise to see somebody get something like 4000 posts. Now thats like normal. Back then, I think people weren't just posting to increase their thread count and hence change their avator. I remember the logical arguments with Art and ASF; the Bang cartoons; being able to post news stories without having to worry about copyright infringement; Blondie falling in love with Rock; being able to criticize the Redskins front office without the entire thread becoming about who is or is not a fan; being able to discuss an article about the Redskins without the entire discussion being about how good or bad the author is...I feel like an old man now, just remembering the good ol days.

Back in the day, it was a surprise to see somebody get something like 4000 posts. Now thats like normal. Back then, I think people weren't just posting to increase their thread count and hence change their avator. I remember the logical arguments with Art and ASF; the Bang cartoons; being able to post news stories without having to worry about copyright infringement; Blondie falling in love with Rock; being able to criticize the Redskins front office without the entire thread becoming about who is or is not a fan; being able to discuss an article about the Redskins without the entire discussion being about how good or bad the author is...I feel like an old man now, just remembering the good ol days.

I'm far from an Old-timer, but I feel like there wasn't as much turnover when I first got here. The threads on page one seemed to be on page one for MUCH longer, whereas now, it seems like there is complete turnover from two hours ago. I also remember when the DTC posted here. Whatever happened to Thito and the rest of those guys? Also, when everyones sig line was the size of a book, including mine. I remember having people with sig lines that took up half a page with pictures and then the short while where it seemed like 50% of the site had the "THIS IS THE SIZE THE SIG LINES SUPPOSED TO BE" signature.

I'm far from an Old-timer, but I feel like there wasn't as much turnover when I first got here. The threads on page one seemed to be on page one for MUCH longer, whereas now, it seems like there is complete turnover from two hours ago. I also remember when the DTC posted here. Whatever happened to Thito and the rest of those guys? Also, when everyones sig line was the size of a book, including mine. I remember having people with sig lines that took up half a page with pictures and then the short while where it seemed like 50% of the site had the "THIS IS THE SIZE THE SIG LINES SUPPOSED TO BE" signature.

I'm far from an Old-timer, but I feel like there wasn't as much turnover when I first got here. The threads on page one seemed to be on page one for MUCH longer, whereas now, it seems like there is complete turnover from two hours ago.

Was talking about this with PCS a few days ago. You remember right ... I can recall noting on the board that it was taking only a DAY or two for topics to slide off page one (set for 40). These days, it's not unusual to see them drop off page one in an hour.

That would be a good thing if all the topics were thread-worthy or at least original ... but as we've all come to realize, that's not always the case any more. Meaning that good threads get pushed out of sight and out of mind far too quickly for my tastes.

I also remember when the DTC posted here. Whatever happened to Thito and the rest of those guys?

They outgrew ES and moved on up. :)

Truth is, their uncensored posting style, fresh as it might have been, became inconsistent with the smooth operation of ES. Any new thread about them or in which they got involved would tend to get out of hand, either by their own doing or that of people who would goad and egg them on by throwing fuel on the fire.

Good news is, the fact we no longer cohabitate hasn't kept them from doin' what they do, or us from having the opportunity to follow their exploits:

http://deadtreecrew.proboards30.com/index.cgi

Live and let live.

I'm far from an Old-timer, but I feel like there wasn't as much turnover when I first got here. The threads on page one seemed to be on page one for MUCH longer, whereas now, it seems like there is complete turnover from two hours ago.

Was talking about this with PCS a few days ago. You remember right ... I can recall noting on the board that it was taking only a DAY or two for topics to slide off page one (set for 40). These days, it's not unusual to see them drop off page one in an hour.

That would be a good thing if all the topics were thread-worthy or at least original ... but as we've all come to realize, that's not always the case any more. Meaning that good threads get pushed out of sight and out of mind far too quickly for my tastes.

I also remember when the DTC posted here. Whatever happened to Thito and the rest of those guys?

They outgrew ES and moved on up. :)

Truth is, their uncensored posting style, fresh as it might have been, became inconsistent with the smooth operation of ES. Any new thread about them or in which they got involved would tend to get out of hand, either by their own doing or that of people who would goad and egg them on by throwing fuel on the fire.

Good news is, the fact we no longer cohabitate hasn't kept them from doin' what they do, or us from having the opportunity to follow their exploits:

http://deadtreecrew.proboards30.com/index.cgi

Live and let live.

To me, as a non-old-timer, the biggest change that I've seen is conversation density and overall community feel.

There was tremendous thought density in threads such that most posts added to the conversation substantively. I don't know if that's really still true. People put a lot more time and thought into responses and as a n00b, I was generally reluctant to add to a thread unless I thought my post was going to add something to the conversation. I think most people felt that way and were more interested in the "read more, post less" mantra--though I was a pretty absurdly prolific poster in my early days.

The other piece was that even when I arrived, I knew by username nearly all of the regular posters because there were so many fewer of them. That's not really true anymore because the community has gotten so big. There was more of a feel of community--though that's not to say that there wasn't acrimony then. :)

It's definitely not the same, but it's difficult to look clearly at the Board's past and ignore nostalgia, bygone posters, among other things in order to make an honest assessment.

Being a newbie i feel this is the best board out there and i love it. The only thing negative i have noticed is that some of the guys who have been on here a while can be kind of rude and talk down to you. Not all but a few are like that i have noticed.

But overall this is the best Site of its kind out there and i come on here everyday for a reason. Because I love the Redskins and i love discussing The Redskins with other Redskins fans.

To me, as a non-old-timer, the biggest change that I've seen is conversation density and overall community feel.

There was tremendous thought density in threads such that most posts added to the conversation substantively. I don't know if that's really still true. People put a lot more time and thought into responses and as a n00b, I was generally reluctant to add to a thread unless I thought my post was going to add something to the conversation. I think most people felt that way and were more interested in the "read more, post less" mantra--though I was a pretty absurdly prolific poster in my early days.

The other piece was that even when I arrived, I knew by username nearly all of the regular posters because there were so many fewer of them. That's not really true anymore because the community has gotten so big. There was more of a feel of community--though that's not to say that there wasn't acrimony then. :)

It's definitely not the same, but it's difficult to look clearly at the Board's past and ignore nostalgia, bygone posters, among other things in order to make an honest assessment.

Being a newbie i feel this is the best board out there and i love it. The only thing negative i have noticed is that some of the guys who have been on here a while can be kind of rude and talk down to you. Not all but a few are like that i have noticed.

But overall this is the best Site of its kind out there and i come on here everyday for a reason. Because I love the Redskins and i love discussing The Redskins with other Redskins fans.

I think that is a pretty fair and accurate post.

I think that is a pretty fair and accurate post.

How can we get that community feel back. Even though sometimes we have a difference of opinion we are all on the same side. We All Love The Redskins! If there was a way we could get that community feel back, and if there was any way i could help I would be all for it.

How can we get that community feel back. Even though sometimes we have a difference of opinion we are all on the same side. We All Love The Redskins! If there was a way we could get that community feel back, and if there was any way i could help I would be all for it.

When I came here there were less than 4000 members, I have no idea how many members we have now but there were over 800 people in the Redskins Pats game thread, so many that it was taking a long time just to update the page, and really no way to keep up with what was said in the thread at all, read one page and 5 more where ahead of you.

Don't worry, Hap. It's highly doubtful that you missed anything of value. ;)

When I came here there were less than 4000 members, I have no idea how many members we have now but there were over 800 people in the Redskins Pats game thread, so many that it was taking a long time just to update the page, and really no way to keep up with what was said in the thread at all, read one page and 5 more where ahead of you.

Don't worry, Hap. It's highly doubtful that you missed anything of value. ;)

Archived