Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Compare and contrast: Extremeskins Then & Now

Beauty is Only

I've been a member of this board for about 1 1/2 years now and since joining have logged in, pretty much, on a daily basis. While perusing the threads I occasionally read posts that refer to the 'early days' of this site and just how much it's changed, particularly in reference to the quality of threads and posts then and now. Generally, it seems those who've been around for a while have seen a decline in discussion/debate quality across the board.

I'd like a glimpse into the minds of those who've been here from the outset. If you're one of the 'old timers,' please discuss the changes you've witnessed over the years on Extremeskins, for better or worse. Was the level and quality of discussion better then? What are the major differences between then and now? What should change and what should stay the same? Was there always a sharp distinction between the 'homers' and the 'haters' or was the line more blurred back then?

I've been a member of this board for about 1 1/2 years now and since joining have logged in, pretty much, on a daily basis. While perusing the threads I occasionally read posts that refer to the 'early days' of this site and just how much it's changed, particularly in reference to the quality of threads and posts then and now. Generally, it seems those who've been around for a while have seen a decline in discussion/debate quality across the board.

I'd like a glimpse into the minds of those who've been here from the outset. If you're one of the 'old timers,' please discuss the changes you've witnessed over the years on Extremeskins, for better or worse. Was the level and quality of discussion better then? What are the major differences between then and now? What should change and what should stay the same? Was there always a sharp distinction between the 'homers' and the 'haters' or was the line more blurred back then?

Additional comment: I think the major factor that has to be taken into consideration has been bringing Gibbs back. The vast success he had here before and the mixed results we've seen so far in his second tenure have been the absolute major reason why this board can appear so polarized at times.

Additional comment: I think the major factor that has to be taken into consideration has been bringing Gibbs back. The vast success he had here before and the mixed results we've seen so far in his second tenure have been the absolute major reason why this board can appear so polarized at times.

In bygone days the board had some really nifty cartoons...

:laugh:

~bang

Bang, please tell me there's one in the works focusing on the Skins-Pats game, including Belicheck running up the score and Gibbs' post-game presser about being proud of his super-smart players scoring a TD at the end.

In bygone days the board had some really nifty cartoons...

:laugh:

~bang

Bang, please tell me there's one in the works focusing on the Skins-Pats game, including Belicheck running up the score and Gibbs' post-game presser about being proud of his super-smart players scoring a TD at the end.

To me, as a non-old-timer, the biggest change that I've seen is conversation density and overall community feel.

There was tremendous thought density in threads such that most posts added to the conversation substantively. I don't know if that's really still true. People put a lot more time and thought into responses and as a n00b, I was generally reluctant to add to a thread unless I thought my post was going to add something to the conversation. I think most people felt that way and were more interested in the "read more, post less" mantra--though I was a pretty absurdly prolific poster in my early days.

The other piece was that even when I arrived, I knew by username nearly all of the regular posters because there were so many fewer of them. That's not really true anymore because the community has gotten so big. There was more of a feel of community--though that's not to say that there wasn't acrimony then. :)

It's definitely not the same, but it's difficult to look clearly at the Board's past and ignore nostalgia, bygone posters, among other things in order to make an honest assessment.

To me, as a non-old-timer, the biggest change that I've seen is conversation density and overall community feel.

There was tremendous thought density in threads such that most posts added to the conversation substantively. I don't know if that's really still true. People put a lot more time and thought into responses and as a n00b, I was generally reluctant to add to a thread unless I thought my post was going to add something to the conversation. I think most people felt that way and were more interested in the "read more, post less" mantra--though I was a pretty absurdly prolific poster in my early days.

The other piece was that even when I arrived, I knew by username nearly all of the regular posters because there were so many fewer of them. That's not really true anymore because the community has gotten so big. There was more of a feel of community--though that's not to say that there wasn't acrimony then. :)

It's definitely not the same, but it's difficult to look clearly at the Board's past and ignore nostalgia, bygone posters, among other things in order to make an honest assessment.

As one of the “Old Timers” I will say that ES has changed big time over the years.

We now have more posters contributing to the discussions, but with less quality postings as in the “early days”; we had less posters contributing, but with better quality postings IMO.

We also have more whiners now then ever before.

Back in the “Good Old Days” the board was more like a family.

I just don’t get that feeling much anymore, except when we talk about an upcoming tailgate party.

Don’t get me wrong I still love ES, but it is far from what it used to be.

As one of the “Old Timers” I will say that ES has changed big time over the years.

We now have more posters contributing to the discussions, but with less quality postings as in the “early days”; we had less posters contributing, but with better quality postings IMO.

We also have more whiners now then ever before.

Back in the “Good Old Days” the board was more like a family.

I just don’t get that feeling much anymore, except when we talk about an upcoming tailgate party.

Don’t get me wrong I still love ES, but it is far from what it used to be.

I guess I qualify as an old-timer.

We had some quality guys, including a Canadian Joe Theismann fan whose moniker was ....Romo sits to pee (before that Tony guy popped on the scene).

Less clutter, more intelligent threads. I remember thinking the board had completely gone down the crapper when 2/3 of the threads on the first page were about Lavar Arrington.

Also, the Tailgate, despite some whacked out anti-semitic threads started by by a crazed Arab fundamentalist named Kefka and some insane conspiracy threads by ASF, was actually quite thought-provoking...instead of each thread devolving into "liberal whiny ass yadayada...facist GOP SOB, etc."

ASF would alway produce some funky statitistical analyses, which were often greeted with derision and contempt, but on many occasions proved to be spot on. He predicted Kim Helton would be a disaster for the OL, that Ramsey was done by too many shots to the head, that Joe Gibbs would give up playcalling, that Rod Gardner would end up a bust. He also predicted Danny Weurffel would pass for 3000 yards, so I wouldn't say he was infallible...

Mostly, the board was dominated by intelligent posters like Om, Art, Bulldog, Inmate, ASF, Mardi Gras Skin, Blondie, and many others I'm forgetting. There was more debate, but less vitriol, less panic (odd, considering how awful the team turned out to be), and perhaps more comraderie.

Archived