Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time to Give DeMulling A Shot?

method man

I don't know what everyone else is seeing but everytime I focus specifically on Heyer he gets knocked back off his feet. Wade is playing hurt but even at that he's a better option. Fabini is basically learning a new position. The problem I have is with calling 75-80% of the runs to the left. Everyone knows it's coming and I really don't think Portis runs to his left nearly as well.

Exactly. I think the guy can be good in the future, but now he is pretty raw.

He was resigned by the Colts and cut at the end of training camp. However, he must have done something right in workouts to get picked over Keydrick Vincent.

Actually, I read that DeMulling was picked over Keydrick Vincent because he was more experienced with the zone blocking our line likes to do when he was with Indy.

Actually, I read that DeMulling was picked over Keydrick Vincent because he was more experienced with the zone blocking our line likes to do when he was with Indy.

JLC did say that Vincent did have a great workout so DeMulling still must have done pretty good in the workout.

From what we know about these coaches, nothing is going to change in regards to the starting lineman. Mark Brunell taught us that they stay loyal until its apparent to the whole league how bad a guy is. How could Wade turn that DE lose on Jason Campbell? What kind of protection has you letting the DE run right by you? We definitely need to invest 2 draft picks in the OLine next year.

These OL crack me up. The Skins started the season with four of the five positions held down by players who ranged from good (Jansen) to excellent (Samuels). LG was the exception, where the Skins had no proven player. Every backup besides Heyer had about the same profile - multiple years starting, then unwanted by the rest of the NFL and willing to play at or near the minimum salary. Heyer was different only because he had no pro experience.

The Skins were extremely lucky to have the LG positioned filled by Kendell just before the season started. But none of the replacements are going to be great players - get it out of your head that Wade is a beast or DeMulling is beast or that "Buges can coach up ________ to be a great _______", because he can't. With the exception of Heyer, who hasn't had a chance to prove himself one way or the other, every other backup lineman on the roster has played enough to show that he's not starting material. That's why they're playing for the minimum. That's why players now being touted as a salvation, if only the coaching staff were prescient enough to see their obvious talent, were doing their film study in their living rooms and their workouts at Bally's.

Does anyone really think that Buges continues to play Fabini out of position because he's not observant enough to see what a monster DeMulling is? Unlike ES posters, he actually gets to see DeMulling practice. If DeMulling was even average, he'd be in there already. I wouldn't say Wade sucks, but he's certainly not consistently average, and as the season wears on, he's getting blown up more and more often. He's in there because getting pushed around by DE's is preferable to the type of rookie mistakes that Heyer is likely to make, where rushers get shots at JC untouched. Pucillo is not a long-term option for center.

Its a tragedy that there have been so many injuries on the OL this season. Even if there were decent backups, the line would be in bad shape - you can't just change out three lineman at mid-season, especially after adding the LG a week before the season began, and expect to be good. But the backups are each flawed, either by experience or talent, which is going to make the situation worse.

So you have to make do with what you've got, which means running left even though the other team knows you'll be running left, and dumping off the ball quickly to avoid sacks. The Skins are predictable, not because Gibbs or Saunders like playing ultra-conservative, but because they have to be. Everyone wants to open it up - because when you open it up in your imagination, you don't need to suffer the consequences of JC getting creamed or getting picked.

Unlike most people on ES, I think Gibbs is doing one of his best jobs ever. He's managed to keep every game close, and the two losses were to teams that are good teams. He's let the strength of team, the defense, control each game, without the offense screwing things up. Every game that should have been won has been won - even if a lot of the wins came down to the last series against bad teams. With worse coaching, the Skins could easily be looking at 1-5 right now.

I think the big problem was Pucillo in the middle, and less Fabini at guard. We got ownes straight up the middle a few times, with Puc getting pushed straight back in to Campbell. The knee jerk reaction is to put in DeMulling, but I don't think it makes sense. Hopefully getting Rabach back will do the trick.

These OL crack me up. The Skins started the season with four of the five positions held down by players who ranged from good (Jansen) to excellent (Samuels). LG was the exception, where the Skins had no proven player. Every backup besides Heyer had about the same profile - multiple years starting, then unwanted by the rest of the NFL and willing to play at or near the minimum salary. Heyer was different only because he had no pro experience.

The Skins were extremely lucky to have the LG positioned filled by Kendell just before the season started. But none of the replacements are going to be great players - get it out of your head that Wade is a beast or DeMulling is beast or that "Buges can coach up ________ to be a great _______", because he can't. With the exception of Heyer, who hasn't had a chance to prove himself one way or the other, every other backup lineman on the roster has played enough to show that he's not starting material. That's why they're playing for the minimum. That's why players now being touted as a salvation, if only the coaching staff were prescient enough to see their obvious talent, were doing their film study in their living rooms and their workouts at Bally's.

Does anyone really think that Buges continues to play Fabini out of position because he's not observant enough to see what a monster DeMulling is? Unlike ES posters, he actually gets to see DeMulling practice. If DeMulling was even average, he'd be in there already. I wouldn't say Wade sucks, but he's certainly not consistently average, and as the season wears on, he's getting blown up more and more often. He's in there because getting pushed around by DE's is preferable to the type of rookie mistakes that Heyer is likely to make, where rushers get shots at JC untouched. Pucillo is not a long-term option for center.

Its a tragedy that there have been so many injuries on the OL this season. Even if there were decent backups, the line would be in bad shape - you can't just change out three lineman at mid-season, especially after adding the LG a week before the season began, and expect to be good. But the backups are each flawed, either by experience or talent, which is going to make the situation worse.

So you have to make do with what you've got, which means running left even though the other team knows you'll be running left, and dumping off the ball quickly to avoid sacks. The Skins are predictable, not because Gibbs or Saunders like playing ultra-conservative, but because they have to be. Everyone wants to open it up - because when you open it up in your imagination, you don't need to suffer the consequences of JC getting creamed or getting picked.

Unlike most people on ES, I think Gibbs is doing one of his best jobs ever. He's managed to keep every game close, and the two losses were to teams that are good teams. He's let the strength of team, the defense, control each game, without the offense screwing things up. Every game that should have been won has been won - even if a lot of the wins came down to the last series against bad teams. With worse coaching, the Skins could easily be looking at 1-5 right now.

Even a great team would have difficulty adjusting to replacing 5 of 6 starters on the OL from last year. But, if your analysis of the talent of the backups is correct then someone still has to take the blame for the dearth of talent. In the ideal world the Skins would have young up and coming OL-men (with talent) that could come in and prove themselves. A Heyer-type 2-3 years from now. Perhaps instead of counting on 5th and 6th rounders the Skins could use a 3rd round pick on a Guard sometime so that the talent would be available. Oh yeah, I forgot. The 3rd and 4th round picks for each of two drafts were used on Duckett our starting RB and Lloyd our starting WR. :mad:

Even a great team would have difficulty adjusting to replacing 5 of 6 starters on the OL from last year. But, if your analysis of the talent of the backups is correct then someone still has to take the blame for the dearth of talent. In the ideal world the Skins would have young up and coming OL-men (with talent) that could come in and prove themselves. A Heyer-type 2-3 years from now. Perhaps instead of counting on 5th and 6th rounders the Skins could use a 3rd round pick on a Guard sometime so that the talent would be available. Oh yeah, I forgot. The 3rd and 4th round picks for each of two drafts were used on Duckett our starting RB and Lloyd our starting WR. :mad:

I agree 100%. And although everyone likes to say the salary cap is a joke, it has had an affect on the back ups. Don't forget the 3rd and 4th round picks used on Lloyd. His sweet deal would have left a lot of money on the table after the picks were signed.

I do not know much about him, but if he was a "stallworth" the I agree its time to make a change.

Our line was getting blown up all day today. They need to come back with a vengence next week, because I know Belichek must be licking his chops right now.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stalwart

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stallworth

Archived