Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playstation 3 -- It Just Isn't Catching On

Hooper

I gotta say, I'm pretty surprised. It's a very impressive system, especially considering it's a blu-ray player. Maybe that's part of the problem -- no one really cares about HD-DVD/Blu-Ray because the difference in quality compared to a regular DVD is so small unless you have a great 1080p tv that's at least 46 inches. That's a small amount of people right there.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117974304.html?categoryid=1009&cs=1

Interest in "Halo 3" combined with a recent price cut helped drive the Xbox 360 to its biggest month in the U.S., selling 528,000 units, nearly double the 277,000 sold in August. That put it slightly ahead of Nintendo's Wii, which sold 501,000 units domestically and is still well ahead for overall 2007 sales.

News was grim for Sony, however, as its PlayStation 3 declined from 131,000 to 119,000 units sold despite the debut of exclusive, self-published games "Warhawk," "Lair" and "Heavenly Sword."

Most industryites expect the Wii to end up as the holiday season's bestselling console due to its low price, appeal beyond hardcore gamers and exclusive new titles like "Super Mario Galaxy." The big question is whether the PS3 will compete closely with the Xbox 360 or continue to be blown away.

but, but, it's a better system. the "hardcore" gamers know this. especially the nerdy ones who can spew out the technical data.

Thank you for immediately kicking off the "my console is better than yours" debate. You've now doomed us all to listen to the same people from both sides hold the same old squabbling match :rolleyes:

Thank you for immediately kicking off the "my console is better than yours" debate. You've now doomed us all to listen to the same people from both sides hold the same old squabbling match :rolleyes:

That was inevitable as soon as the topic was posted.

PS3 has been a major dissappointment to me thus far...I bought about 5 games, all of them have been good but nothing that has blown me away. Honestly I have used it more to play old PS2 games like God of War, Bully, Manhunt...actually good games.

Anyway, I recently did a swap with my little bro for 360 for a couple months, I will give it back as soon as I get over my Halo addiction. I also just got the Orange Box which looks awesome as well.

**** do I sound like a nerd or what?

PS3 just announced another price reduction yesterday. The cost of producing the hardware is getting cheaper and cheaper. Combine this with Toshiba taking over the production lines of the Cell processor and you'll see the cost drop even further.

They also removed the chip that makes the PS3 backward compatible. This saved money. So now you can get a cheaper console, but you can't play PS2 games from what I read, at least in 40 gig model.

That is what happens when you make something WAY too expensive. People just won't buy it. I saw the $700 price tag and I said f that.

That's what happened with me. I was a PS guy. But, for the price of the PS3, I could get a loaded 360 with a few games and online for a year. It was a no-brainer.

Again, as I've said on here before and some of you know, I work at a gaming center. We have all three of the systems. Nobody even asks about the PS3. Nobody. Complete waste of space. And I'm not knocking the system. I'm a Sony guy. Have been for 10 years now. I would love for it to succeed. But it just isn't. There is absolutely no buzz about it.

Nintendo was almost non existant last gen in US, so it can happen, They just came back strong this gen by thinking outside the box.

Nintendo was almost non-existent all over the world because of Sony. Sony has a bigger global following than Nintendo and M$.

I think they are also making a major mistake by now making their cheapest version of the system, non-compatible with PS2 games.

I think backward compatiblity is important when a system 1st comes out, since it has limited games. When the system is out for good period of time it builds on it's own games. The question is, is there enough good quality next gen games out for it? That's up to individuals, case in point, if you are a sports game player, well there is already a football, b aseball, baketball game out there for PS3 then go for it. But if you like Final Fantasy, then there is no point for a PS3 at this time.

I think backward compatiblity is important when a system 1st comes out, since it has limited games. When the system is out for good period of time it builds on it's own games. The question is, is there enough good quality next gen games out for it? That's up to individuals, case in point, if you are a sports game player, well there is already a football, b aseball, baketball game out there for PS3 then go for it. But if you like Final Fantasy, then there is no point for a PS3 at this time.

Folklore is an excellent stop-gap till FF arrives.

Archived