Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playstation 3 -- It Just Isn't Catching On

Hooper

Personally the price point will get me to buy 360 Elite sometime after xmas this year. To me it -is- about library of games and not what the potential of a system is. Why fork out $500+ for a PS3 now when I can grab one for 1/4 less a year or more from now when the games I might play come out. PLUS by then I'm sure the Platinum Hits from the launch titles will be down to $25 or less making catch up that much fun/cheaper.

Who knows though, maybe with some revisions and price drops the PS3 will do like the NINTENDO DS went from fugly to pretty slick and dominating it's segment of the game world.

PS3 40GB version will be $399 in november

PS3 80GB version is $499 right now..

If you have a/or will get a PS3, must have games this year:

1- Uncharted: Drakes Fortune (kinda like Indiana Jones, action adventure game)

1a- Warhawk

1b- GT5 - Prologue

2- Heavenly Sword

3- Folklore

4- Haze

any other ones i forgot, my bad...

btw, if you're going to get Call of Duty 4, make sure its on the PS3 as its the best looking of all the systems, 360 and PC..

If you're going to get Call of Duty 4, make sure its on the PS3 as its the best looking of all the systems, 360 and PC..

Didn't know that -- thanks for the tip.

Then again, you won't be able to find anyone to play online with.

All I know is Microsoft better hope Sony doesn't get its act together because if it does, Microsoft will finish a distant third. The key to Microsoft's failure is that it has yet to even appeal to the Japanese market, in which Nintendo and Sony flourish. I think we'll see how things will go by next summer.

PS3 will sell a lot more when it's price drops and Metal Gear comes out. I don't know if it's going to happen, but an exclusive Final Fantasy would really help too.

All that said, the only real advantage I see with ps3 is bluray.

thats a reason just to buy it right there. blu ray players are a lot more expensive and when you get a gaming system that is as crazy as the ps3 its definitely worth the what use to be $600, but now its $400. so if you dont even buy it for the games i would just buy it for being one of the cheapest blu ray players you can find

This thread title makes me laugh. The PS3 isn't catching on, eh? Well over the same launch period it has outsold the Xbox 360 (just barely but it did outsell it) despite costing 50% more. Nobody would say the Xbox 360 failed to catch on. Just look at this chart:

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&align=1

In a couple weeks you will be able to buy a PS3 for $400. It has a long way to go if it wants to win this generation but it isn't doing as badly as most people seem to think. Also what games did the 360 have in its first year. This console cycle is just getting started. The next two years will decide it. The PS3 is not doing as well as most people thought it would but it is not doing nearly as badly as most people suggest.

Resident Evil 4 is the Shiznit for the Wii

Very true, that game is awesome! It is the perfect control scheme for the Wii.

All I know is Microsoft better hope Sony doesn't get its act together because if it does, Microsoft will finish a distant third. The key to Microsoft's failure is that it has yet to even appeal to the Japanese market, in which Nintendo and Sony flourish. I think we'll see how things will go by next summer.

So winning US market is not good enough? Not saying M$ will but the US market is very different than the Japanese market, different type of games. Only time will tell. I have friends that won't by a 360 simply cus they are Sony loyalist, but due to high PS3 prices and lack of games they don't have a PS3 either. I keep telling them to buy a PS3 so I can say I know ONE person with a PS3. I have a handfull that have 360s.

PS3 will sell a lot more when it's price drops and Metal Gear comes out. I don't know if it's going to happen, but an exclusive Final Fantasy would really help too.

I dunno where in the console war the PS3 will fall, but I think that Blu-ray will win the format war simply cus the PS3. Stand alone units, HD-dvd out sold Bluray I believe (not sure latest numbers) but with the number of PS3s, ever console is potential movie watcher.

That said I think I may buy an HD-DVD simply cus this deal.... http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/10/19/sunday-get-heroes-hd-dvd-free-with-player-purchase/

This thread title makes me laugh. The PS3 isn't catching on, eh? Well over the same launch period it has outsold the Xbox 360 (just barely but it did outsell it) despite costing 50% more. Nobody would say the Xbox 360 failed to catch on. Just look at this chart:

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&align=1

In a couple weeks you will be able to buy a PS3 for $400. It has a long way to go if it wants to win this generation but it isn't doing as badly as most people seem to think. Also what games did the 360 have in its first year. This console cycle is just getting started. The next two years will decide it. The PS3 is not doing as well as most people thought it would but it is not doing nearly as badly as most people suggest.

Very true, that game is awesome! It is the perfect control scheme for the Wii.

The problem is that the 360 came out a year early, and had about a 3.5 million unit head start in the US. This is similar to the PS2 coming out a year before the Xbox, something M$ never could attempt to make up. And since the PS3 has been out it has been out sold month in and month out in the US by the 360. So if a company has a 3.5 million head start, and every month sells more, it's hard to catch up.

Now those are US numbers, which personally is what I care about (that is where I live). But even worldwide the 360 is outselling PS weekly (barely, it's about even), Which is more impressive when you think of the fact that Japan is a dead market to the american made console.

It will be an intresting battle, right not 360 has the lead, and is running at the same pace as PS3 if not faster. The PS3 has to run faster to catch up, like Nintendo did.

bullsh*t have you ever seen Resistance Fall of Man online? or Warhawk there will be plenty trust me!

I think don't think he really meant that there would be trouble find a game onlin. I can still sign on to Star Craft a game that came out in 97 and still get a game up. Simply there are more 360s, that are online and more users.

There are more copies copies of Halo 3 sold than there are PS3 sold.

Because everyone I know has a 360. Even the ones that were Sony geeks went with the 360 because they wanted to have the same system as their buds.

Again, that's why I think it's going to be so hard for Sony to close the gap.

like the other guy said, there are plenty of peeps online to get a game going... i play warhawk and that mug is crowded w/ ppl.. and with the booster pack coming in December, it'll add more fire to the already hot game...:laugh:

anyway, i see what you're saying... you basically want to play online w/ your buds that already have a 360..

i'm telling you guys though, w/o a ps3 you all be missing out on Uncharted: Drakes Fortune.. i've been downloading game play/developer interviews from the PSN and this game looks awesome..

Speaking of games.........anyone seen the trailer for Bionic Commando?

I was just about to post this. I'm a Wii kind of guy, but this game might actually be enough to get me to buy a 360. The NES Bionic Commando is my favorite game of all time, hands down.

I'm somewhat skeptical of the gameplay, though. In the move to 3D, it looks like you can now grapple anywhere, anytime, regardless of where you are. I hope they don't ruin the brilliant no-jump-platforming challenges of the original.

Still, just hearing the remixed music just about brought tears to my eyes. Can't wait for it to come out.

Interesting. I did not know that.

Still, you have to think from a game-developer's perspective. If you have a hot franchise, or a clever new idea for a game, you want to sell to as many people as possible. You'll want to develop your game for the console with the biggest audience. You'd be taking a real gamble by developing for the last-place PS3, even if it IS out-pacing the Xbox360 at this point in time.

It looks like more and more developers are gravitating towards the Wii and Xbox. Which means more and more consumers will gravitate towards the Wii and Xbox. Sure, the PS3 might not be a complete failure at this point, but I really don't see how it can recover. It has no buzz. The 360 and Wii both have a lot of momentum right now.

Super Mario Galaxy is going to blow the gaming world away.

Super Mario is coming back to claim its throne in the gaming world.

This is the first mario game I have been excited about since Mario 64, all the other ones were stupid.

I am never going to touch a wii, because they are crap, but if I were to buy it and play only one game on it, this would be it.

This is the first mario game I have been excited about since Mario 64, all the other ones were stupid.

I am never going to touch a wii, because they are crap, but if I were to buy it and play only one game on it, this would be it.

"All the other ones..."

The only Mario game between 64 and this was Mario Sunshine which didn't suck but wasn't as good as it was supposed to be.

You won't be calling it crap when Super Smash Bros. Brawl comes out. And you can't make the "graphics are awful" argument anymore now that Metroid Prime 3 has come out and Mario Galaxy is out in 3 weeks. Those two games look incredible.

"All the other ones..."

The only Mario game between 64 and this was Mario Sunshine which didn't suck but wasn't as good as it was supposed to be.

You won't be calling it crap when Super Smash Bros. Brawl comes out. And you can't make the "graphics are awful" argument anymore now that Metroid Prime 3 has come out and Mario Galaxy is out in 3 weeks. Those two games look incredible.

Paper mario anyone? Paper Mario 2? Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Mario Superstar baseball <<<<--- WTF? All the Mario parties, I could go on for a long time, but I already blew your response out of the water.

I don't like Metroid prime, I like super smash brothers, so it has two games I would potentially play, Galaxy and SSB, the console is still crap IMO.

And for the record, Mario Sunshine sucked, running around cleaning up the world with a squirt gun as Mario, yeah that is a good concept :doh:

Paper mario anyone? Paper Mario 2? Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Mario Superstar baseball <<<<--- WTF? All the Mario parties, I could go on for a long time, but I already blew your response out of the water.

I don't like Metroid prime, I like super smash brothers, so it has two games I would potentially play, Galaxy and SSB, the console is still crap IMO.

And for the record, Mario Sunshine sucked, running around cleaning up the world with a squirt gun as Mario, yeah that is a good concept :doh:

Ok, well I was referring to the main series of which all those games are not. Paper Mario is a spinoff, that baseball is a spinoff, Mario Party isn't even really a "Mario" game. Anyway, I can't deny SM Sunshine was disappointing.

Ok, well I was referring to the main series of which all those games are not. Paper Mario is a spinoff, that baseball is a spinoff, Mario Party isn't even really a "Mario" game. Anyway, I can't deny SM Sunshine was disappointing.

Well we were on different pages, no problemo, and I wasn't aware that paper mario was a spinoff, mainly because I wasn't about to touch a gamecube unless a friend was playing SSB, lol.

I will play a wii, just won't own one, I am a hardcore gamer, nintendo has not appealed to me since the 64, because none of their exclusives felt hardcore to me.

I still want to get drunk and play that tennis game.....

you mean THE other one? yeah, mario sunshine was a huge disappointment. its funny because nintendo disowned it as the successor to mario64

"paper mario" is a seperate franchise from flat-out mario. it has mario in it, but it is not a "mario game"; it is a game with mario.

Yeah, Mario is funny. He seemingly stars in about 300 games per year, and yet there have really been only a few "real" Mario games. Super Marios Bros 1, SMB 2, SMB3, Super Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, New Super Mario Bros. and now Mario Galaxy are really the only ones that I consider "real" Mario games. And yes, Sunshine sucked compared to the rest of them.

Everything else, I think of more as "Mario-themed" games, rather than true Mario games. I'm not saying that to insult them in any way--Mario Kart and Mario Strikers Charged are two of my favorite games ever--but my mind just keeps them separate from true Mario games.

I guess that's why I always shake my head when people act like the Mario franchise has losts its magic. Just because you don't like a few of the spinoff games doesn't mean anything. Mario is still the king of the platformer, as far as I'm concerned. Galaxy is going to be incredible.

Archived