Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: SF Mulls Nation's First 'Supervised Injection' Site

jpillian

Thought this looked like an interesting bit of news from a CNN affiliate in SF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

SF Mulls Nation's First 'Supervised Injection' Site

http://www.ktvu.com/news/14372284/detail.html

SAN FRANCISCO -- City health officials and addiction experts took the first steps Thursday toward opening the nation's only government-sponsored injection room that would give drug addicts a safe, clean place to shoot up.

Hoping to reduce San Francisco's high rate of fatal drug overdoses, the local public health department co-sponsored a symposium on the only such facility in North America, a 4-year-old Vancouver site where an estimated 700 users a day self-administer narcotics under the supervision of nurses.

"Having the conversation today will help us figure out whether this is a way to reduce the harms and improve the health of our community," said Grant Colfax, director of HIV prevention for the San Francisco Department of Public Health.

Organizers of the daylong forum, which also included a coalition of nonprofit health and social service groups, acknowledge that it could take years to get a so-called "safe injection site" facility up and running in the city, if it happens at all. Along with legal hurdles, such an effort likely would face political opposition.

Bertha Madras, deputy director of demand reduction for the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, called San Francisco's exploration "disconcerting" and "poor public policy."

"The underlying philosophy is, 'We accept drug addiction, we accept the state of affairs as acceptable,"' Madras said. "This is a form of giving up, you are treatable and we will facilitate a type of behavior that leads to a destruction of yourself, your family."

Although 65 similar facilities exist in 27 cities in eight countries, no other U.S. cities have considered creating one, according to Hilary McQuie, Western director for the Harm Reduction Coalition, a nonprofit that promotes alternative drug treatment methods.

"If it happens anywhere in the U.S., it will most likely start in San Francisco," McQuie said. "It really just depends on if there is a political will here. How long it takes for that political will to develop is the main factor."

Drug overdoses represented about one of every seven emergency calls handled by city paramedics between July 2006 and July 2007, according to San Francisco Fire Department Capt. Niels Tangherlini. At the same time, the number of deaths linked to overdoses has declined from a high of about 160 in 1995 to 40 in 2004, he said.

Colfax estimated that there are between 11,000 and 15,000 intravenous drug users in San Francisco, most of them homeless men. Like many large U.S. cities, the city operates a clean needle exchange program to reduce HIV and Hepatitis C infections.

A safe injection space modeled after Vancouver's InSite program would nonetheless mark a significantly more aggressive intervention.

While it's too early to tell what the room in San Francisco would look like, Vancouver's is located on the upper floor of a low-rise building in a downtown neighborhood where open air shooting galleries thrive.

The site, exempt from federal drug laws so users can visit without fear of arrest, has 12 private booths where addicts inject heroin and other drugs with equipment and techniques provided by the staff, said Thomas Kerr, a University of British Columbia researcher who has extensively studied the program.

Kerr said that while 800 overdoses have occurred on the premises, none of them resulted in death because of the medical supervision provided at InSite. His research also has shown an increase in addicts seeking drug treatment and a decrease of abandoned syringes, needle-sharing, drug-related crime and other health threats since the clinic opened, he said.

The results indicate the idea is worth replicating, despite the hackles it may raise from the White House, according to Kerr.

"I prefer the approach of the Vancouver Police Department, which was, 'We don't like the idea of this, but let's look at the evidence and at the end of three years we will tell you either this is something we can support or it's something we cant support,"' he said.

""The site, exempt from federal drug laws so users can visit without fear of arrest""

Must be nice,perhaps some of us should look into "exempting" ourselves to accommodate our peccadilloes. :rolleyes:

I think this is a great idea. Get all the junkies in one place. Let them shoot up with clean needles.

That way, when I visit San Fran, I don't have to step over top of a passed-out junkie laying in his own piss and try and explain that kind of thing to my son.

Junkies are going to get high no matter what. And because this isn't PROMOTING illegal drug use, I'm all for it. (in other words, I doubt anyone who is currently clean is telling themselves that they're gonna go get high now because of this)

:2cents:

It also pulls them together into a place where they can learn about treatment.

Most junkies won't use it. the ones that do are going to be the ones that feel trapped into it. It might help people get out of the mess and it's not going to be creating any new drug users. I'm not necessarily for it, but I'm definitely not against it.

Seriously...between the aliens and the addicts, it's getting just a little bit frustrating that certain people are encouraged by our government in its different forms to break the law.

If I EVER get another speeding ticket, a ***** gon' git hurt. ;) :laugh:

Seriously...between the aliens and the addicts, it's getting just a little bit frustrating that certain people are encouraged by our government in its different forms to break the law.

If I EVER get another speeding ticket, a ***** gon' git hurt. ;) :laugh:

To me, it's all about results. What the U.S. Gov has been doing for the past 40 years to combat illegal drug use has been an embarrasing failure, to the tune of trillions of dollars.

And I don't think the government is breaking a law. Maybe they're not enforcing a law... but there are plenty of laws they don't enforce. That's always been subjective.

To me, it's all about results. What the U.S. Gov has been doing for the past 40 years to combat illegal drug use has been an embarrasing failure, to the tune of trillions of dollars.

And I don't think the government is breaking a law. Maybe they're not enforcing a law... but there are plenty of laws they don't enforce. That's always been subjective.

honorary_hog....Last of the Conservatives...

The-Last-Of-The-Mohicans-662x449.jpg

I don't see the benefit in compromising every basic value we have. But maybe that's just me.

:D

But the value is already being compromised as we speak. Millions of junkies in this country, swapping dirty needles laced with HIV and Hepatitis, sleeping in a puddle of their own piss and contributing to the decay of our cities.

I don't understand how cleaning this up would compromise values.

I'm not one to quote scripture, but

Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. {30} But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law who belonged to their sect complained to his disciples, "Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and 'sinners'?" {31} Jesus answered them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. {32} I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

But the value is already being compromised as we speak. Millions of junkies in this country, swapping dirty needles laced with HIV and Hepatitis, sleeping in a puddle of their own piss and contributing to the decay of our cities.

I don't understand how cleaning this up would compromise values.

I'm not one to quote scripture, but

Yes, but aren't there loitering, public intox, and nuisaince laws that can be enforeced without supporting the illicit drug culture?

I mean come on. The fundamental problem in this country in SO many areas right now is that we just don't enforce the laws we have.

Run for Congress. :)

:laugh: Unfortunately I have a hangup about lying and stealing that disqualifies me...perhaps that's why they usually start small time and work themselves up to it? :whoknows:

As far as the clinic,I think it's great to try to help people that truly need it,and it can be beneficial in cutting health risks and costs to the taxpayers.

However I believe it is a mistake,despite the good intentions,much like many programs for social ills that do not address the cause of the problems..

What is the cause of the problem?

That would vary by the individual,wouldn't it? ;) (I left out the s )

Escapism,depression, lack of personal responsibility,poor self image :whoknows:

I have never really understood the need for hard drugs,perhaps you could enlighten me.

I have known many that got off into them and have never gotten a decent reason why.

This sounds remarkably reminiscent of the recent flap in Maine (well, the situation is in Maine, it appears to be a flap everywhere) concerning the decision to allow the Middle School nurse to supply birth control to students. Same basic idea--kids are going to have sex, might as well protect themselves.

They are tough issues to figure, and there really doesn't seem to be a right answer. I can see the perspectives on both sides--especially after teaching in a middle school and seeing 13 year old students walking around who were with child for the second time--but I can't honestly say I can come down on either side.

This is a complicated situation and they are trying to think out of the box.

It's easy to say: "Drugs are bad, 'nuff said..." but there is a lot more to it than that. These people are already shooting up. They are spreading deadly diseases, and making themselves into a huge healthcare financial burden and a disgusting nuisance. What is best for the City is not always just wagging you finger and throwing another junkie in prison.

This may or may not help, but it is not an inherently bad idea and the usual knee jerk reactions are pretty useless. IMO.

Yes, but aren't there loitering, public intox, and nuisaince laws that can be enforeced without supporting the illicit drug culture?

I mean come on. The fundamental problem in this country in SO many areas right now is that we just don't enforce the laws we have.

I think it has be recognized that part of the intravenous drug issue is also a health issue. As I mentioned before, other cities and nations have had success with these type of programs, which does not necessarily encourage drug use, nor hamper police efforts.

That would vary by the individual,wouldn't it? ;) (I left out the s )

Escapism,depression, lack of personal responsibility,poor self image :whoknows:

I have never really understood the need for hard drugs,perhaps you could enlighten me.

I have known many that got off into them and have never gotten a decent reason why.

There are myriad reason why people start, and some of them for seemingly innocuous, but ignorant reasons. "Yeah, I'll try a little bit; I can handle this stuff."

I had a friend die from a heroin OD, which was rather startling. He feel into a junkie girlfriend while he was in California, and it went all downhill from there. He knew better: Just his common sense was overcome by the desire to do the stuff. Why? I can't say.

For some people, depressants and opiates just appeal to them. That is why folks do pills, which are sometimes, and some do heroin.

People are very complex creatures.

Archived