Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking at the Glass Half Full

bubba9497

Yes losing sucks, especially in a game (again) where we stopped ourselves in the second half, and it is easy to get down and lose focus....

But looking ahead, and somethings to take as possible positives

1. The Defense is for real, 2 weeks in a row they completely shut down the #1 pass offense in the NFC, They are making plays to create turnovers... they are still leaving too many on the field... but they are getting tons more than last season... and they have 15 sacks already in 5 games only 4 fewer than all of last season

2. Sean Taylor is having an MVP type season so far

3. Jason Campbell improves each game, he learns from his mistakes, and corrects them the next game, by the second half of the season he should be hitting his peak (barring injuries :fingersx: )

4. Moss and Portis normally don't have these types of holding onto the ball issues.... Hopefully they have gotten it out of their system now instead of having these problems later

5. The Skins have a realistic shot of being 5-3 at the half way point (dare i say maybe 6-2????.... yes I think this defense could keep the Pats in check and if the Offense can have a great day... anything is possible)

6. Outside of Jasen and Thomas, most of our injuries are not serious this season... and we do get Randy back for the stretch run

7. The Pats exposed the pokes, and gave some good ideas on how to beat them... we get the eagles at home... and we usually split with the giants

8. Gibbs teams start slow, and always get stronger the second half even in Gibbs II... all the mistakes and problems are correctable.. and the Skins are a better second half season running team as well

9. The new receivers will get more opportunities as they get used to Campbell and vice versa.... and I think Lloyd is slowly getting back on the field and maybe a factor sometime during the season

10. The ball bounces both ways.. and we are going to get our share of stealing a game or two, or having the other team collapse/beat themselves.

11. Today was the first third down conversion made by an opposing team penalty.... That means we are getting all those third down plays on our own... and we should get more of those penalty first downs when things start balancing out, as they usually do

12. There isn't a single team on our schedule the rest of the way, we CAN'T beat. a football season is a marathon not a sprint... and 10-6 should still get you in the playoffs in the NFC, maybe 9-7

To add to your post Bubba...

I think these frustrating losses are actually good for this team. Especially when it's our best two skill position players making boneheaded plays.

For all you bashing Moss out there...Every athlete has days like this, where they can't do anything right. Luckily for us, Portis and Moss are the kind of guys that won't shy away and will work harder to get things right.

We have leadership with Gibbs that will do whatever it takes to right the ship and guys like Campbell that are willing to take the extra time in practice to make things crisp. Gibbs/Saunders will play to the strength of our beaten up offense next week...because Campbell has proven that he makes smart decisons when under pressure.

We went against a good defense today. With great corners who were mugging our guys the whole day. They fought through it, but dropped too many. I don't think we'll see any game again with that many offensive mistakes. In fact, I expect a blow out next week.

Once we get Thomas back we'll all see what this offense is truely capable of.

All the points you make are wonderful and true. I am afraid that even if we get the O-line shored up and we get in a rythmn. Our clock management and poor ball protection skills will bite us in the butt.

Ball protection???

coming into today we were one of the best teams at not giving up turnovers (we were #1 last season) and the defense is getting way more turnovers to balance things out, if not tip the scale in our favor.

Only two of Campbell's INT we're his fault, and the one today wasn't a turnover in my opinion, a tie catch is the offense's ball... still scratching my head on that call.

Plus Portis is one of the best RB in the league at holding on to the ball, but even the best of players have their moments.. same with Moss how many great catches has he made over the years, to say that today was the norm, instead of the exception?

and Clock management??

okay because Aikman goes overboard about when to call a time out... the Skins have clock management problems...for all his rantings the Skins didn't lose any time, maybe a couple seconds... and with the Packers punting the ball with time still on the play clock actually gained that time back plus some more.... and if you have watched the Skins this season, they have had a couple end of half, game drives that they worked the clock to perfection

and again... the team usually gets BETTER as the season goes along, and most of these little mistakes can be corrected

Right, as usual, bubba. There are so many things to love about this team. TEAM, being a very significant description. These guys seem to be as tight as any group we've seen here.

My only concern is the health of our O-line.

Santana Moss is gonna take out his frustration on the Cards next week.

Should be fun to watch. :D

Yeah, I'd like to reiterate that Campbell has played PHENOMENALLY this season. Seriously. He is WAY ahead of where I expected him to be. Coming into this season, I was definitely expecting some "Oh ****, it's a rookie QB" games. He hasn't had any of those so far. Dare I say this dude is our best player on offense right now? He was the best QB on the field today by far. Much more disciplined than Favre.

And second, were we REALLY expecting the playoffs this season? I mean, I'm as hopeful as the next guy, but I honestly was coming into this season hoping for some improvement on defense and more development from Campbell. Playoffs would be icing on the cake. And honestly, if our defense can keep playing anywhere near this level, we have a chance to win any game.

all these posts are accurate. With our D playing at such a high level, we have the opportunity to win any game. Take away all the drops (which were all potential 1st downs) and this game is over. I was kinda hoping the guys on gameday would explain how much we dominated and that we basically gift wrapped the win, but i'm glad they didn't. I honestly believe that we can slow down the pats, and i think we can shut down the Romo sits to pee show. We shoot ourselves in the foot but i'm not scared of any team that gives up 48 points at home. I'm rambling...I LOVE THIS TEAM. i see 10-6 and a tongue lashing for Todd "kampmann owns my butt" Wade

Just to add to the half-full glass, and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

We had some lucky bounces yesterday. The Pack's missed field goals/hitting the post. Smoot's end-zone tackle.

And at the end of the day they only won by 3!

Now, if we can get our o-line straightened out (and I realise this might be a tall order) then we should be okay.

Moss and Portis are proud guys and talented guys. They will recover.

Hail!

PS. And lest we forget, we still have a winning record. And the Cowboys lost...

I tend to agree with Bubba's points except for the two involving New England.

Can the Skins beat them?

Sure.

But unlikely. Especially in New England.

Also while New England did expose Dallas, most teams do not possess the same offensive talent that New England does to exploit those weaknesses.

I expect this team to be 5-3 at the midway point. They are superior to both Arizona and the Jets. No way this squad should lose to those two teams. To tell you the truth, neither of those games should even be close but we are notorious for making things harder than they need to be.

Bubba,

Great post and I agree with every statement made. I do think that the team should have called a timeout in the 4th with about 2:30 seconds left. They lose nothing and gain a timeout by doing it. Think about it. You call time out at 2:30, stop the clock, and force GB to run another play before the 2 minute warning which is a free timeout. That puts them 1 TO left with just under 2 minutes to play. probably 1:53. I don't know if it even matters but that's the way I would have called it :)

Yes losing sucks, especially in a game (again) where we stopped ourselves in the second half, and it is easy to get down and lose focus....

But looking ahead, and somethings to take as possible positives

There isn't a single team on our schedule the rest of the way, we CAN'T beat. a football season is a marathon not a sprint... and 10-6 should still get you in the playoffs in the NFC, maybe 9-7

Took out most of the quote to shorten this post. Thank God there's a voice of reason on this board. I hate, absolutely hate, the amount of pessimistic people on this board who are willing to turn on the team and our players at the drop of a hat. I saw people in the game thread who were talking about the game being lost when we were down by only three points! And people wonder why we have no home field advantage, or Snyder has to pump in artificial crowd noise. Look around this board after a loss, that will tell you why.

Luckily, there are people like Bubba who believe, and have seen all the good this team can offer. Our defense is incredibly good. Our offense has shown flashes of potential. We're going to have bad games. The Giants game hurt a lot more than this one.

We can beat the Cardinals on Sunday. The Patriots are going to be a handful, I can't expect much there. After that, we have the Jets away and the Eagles at home, both very winnable games. By the time we go down to Dallas, we could very well be 6-3 and in a pretty good situation. Let's not go throwing ourselves off the cliff just yet.

I believe, and everyone else on this board should too. If you think the season is lost already, you probably need your account removed.

Excellent ads usual.

This game cam down to two huge plays by the Packers , one on Offense (missed tackle) and one on D.

Dropped balls happen, but it happened alot yesterday. Cooley seemed to be the only one that had the hands working consistantly.

Tough loss, but a good game by Campbell.

Took out most of the quote to shorten this post. Thank God there's a voice of reason on this board. I hate, absolutely hate, the amount of pessimistic people on this board who are willing to turn on the team and our players at the drop of a hat. I saw people in the game thread who were talking about the game being lost when we were down by only three points! And people wonder why we have no home field advantage, or Snyder has to pump in artificial crowd noise. Look around this board after a loss, that will tell you why.

If this team doesn't like the reaction of their fans maybe they should start giving us something to cheer about. If they're going to play like a bunch of 12 year olds they're going to get booed and complained about. If they start playing like they're worthy of wearing the Burgandy & Gold they might get some support from the fanbase.

Excellent thread!

We FINALLY have a franchise qb...with the o-line banged up, he'll have to carry a lot more weight, but I'm thinking he can do it.

I think the conditions affected us more than we would have liked...especially the muscle pulls...this can be fixed.

And the defense is just 'lights out.' Making the 'gun slingers' make methodical drives is just brilliant...and a lot of credit needs to go to GW.

HTTR!

If this team doesn't like the reaction of their fans maybe they should start giving us something to cheer about. If they're going to play like a bunch of 12 year olds they're going to get booed and complained about. If they start playing like they're worthy of wearing the Burgandy & Gold they might get some support from the fanbase.

Always nice to hear from Nancy... :laugh: Especially in a positive thread...

For Christ's sake, will you wake up? We're 3 and 2. This season is five games old and we have a WINNING RECORD!! And a very good chance of being 4-2 after next week. You think fans of the Rams or Dolphins, etc. wouldn't kill to be 3-2 or 4-2?

Look at your sig. You are completely pathetic. Thank God you live in Massachusetts, I hope you never come down for our home games. Are you going to the New England game? I wouldn't be surprised if you were in the stands, and clobbered a Skins fan in the back of the head, then ripped off your Skins jersey to reveal a Tom Brady jersey underneath, WWE style. You sound like that kind of fan.

Last night, my banning finger was getting itchy. Reading all the threads and posts of some of these fair weather jerks...man, the banning finger was getting itchy. Then I realized I've only been on this board for two-three months and I'm not a moderator. Lucky for you, because after reading that signature, I would have thrown your ass out onto the curb and taken a piss on your head.

Good day to you sir, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

I guess I will be the one to say it then:

Santana Moss has been having a terrible year. This isnt the first game that he has dropped multiple balls, and yesterday when he should have covered up the ball he just left it out there for the plucking. Portis too. When CP was running down the field one time he was carrying the ball just like Deion used to. Both hands, away from the chest. IMO ARE is our #1 WR so far this year, and Cooley is a real close second. I just get nervous now when I see the ball going to Moss. I know he has the talent and drive to get it done, but so far he hasnt.

And ST has a case of the Moss'. He should have had 5 picks yesterday EASY!!

Archived