Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking at the Glass Half Full

bubba9497

As usual Bubba and I never see eye to eye. However I do agree here with a lot he said. However lets not forget what we need to fix.

Sorry bubba Gibbs is not the Gibbs of old. Gibbs of old almost never lost a half time lead, especially a two TD (Giants) and one TD lead because he was just about the best in half time adjustments.

I have never seen a HC this bad this long in time managment. To call two consecutive time outs to decide to go for it or not with 4th and 2 is beyond pathetic, especially in a close game such as this.

Play calling once again was horrible in the 4th quarter. Run Run pass simply will not beat a D like GBs. And yes I do believe Gibbs was calling those plays. Granted with the way the receivers were playing maybe he didn't have much of a choice. Lets leave it at that.

Our D is great. In fact I share Bubba's sentiment and posted in a starting thread which the mods deleted that I believe we are just about the only NFC team with the D that can play NE. And yes if the receivers hold on to the damm ball we could beat them.

Moss and Portis "normally" don't have that type of issues but sorry Bubba this is the second game Portis fumbles the exact same way and Moss has caught only 12 passes the entire season. We are beyond saying "NORMALLY" here pal.

I do agree with Bubba with our D there isn't a team in the rest of the schedule we can't beat including NE. However for that to happen even ST with the great game he had yesterday he needs to pickup the other two INTs. He could have had the game of a lifetime with two additional easy INTs one going easily for a TD. And to beat a team like NE we need mistake free games from EVERYONE.

Sorry bubba Gibbs is not the Gibbs of old. Gibbs of old almost never lost a half time lead, especially a two TD (Giants) and one TD lead because he was just about the best in half time adjustments.

Funny, I never remember Gibbs dropping a pass or failing to execute a well schemed play...

Sorry, but this is on the players...and they know it.

This organization finally has some credibility because of Gibbs II. The instant gratification we came to expect, beginning 15 years ago, became disappointment after disappointment.

Without Gibbs, we don't have JC...we probably have another bust qb pick or a retread.

Without Gibbs, we don't have GW.

Without Gibbs, we have a collection of self-centered players who have no grasp of the term 'team'.

So, lay off Gibbs. He's the least of any problems we have.

Nice thread. :applause:

I was upset that we loss the game at first. But, then I thought about how many mistakes that we made, how many opportunities were squandered and how we still nearly won the game.

IMO nothing that happened yesterday, during that game is uncorrectable (besides the injuries). Let Moss, El and Lloyd practice a couple of days with the sprinklers on and we will wheather this storm. No pun intended. :)

Bubba - great post. I was thinking about the same things on the way into work today. A football season is a marathon, like you said, and even in a good year you lose 6 games. Of those 6 games, 5 are usually gut wrenching losses like our two this year. Basically, they just happen. I'm trying a new approach this year. Instead of mourning our losses, I'm trying to look at what we saw during each game (win or lose) and how it applies in the future. What I saw yesterday was a defense that once again proved it was for real, and Campbell making things happen despite a tough pass rush and lots of drops.

The lack of an effective running game since Thomas went down is tough to swallow, but I think we can do enough to keep em honest and Campbell will do the rest.

So was yesterday's loss tough? Of course, they all are, but I think there are real signs of hope for the rest of the year.

Thanks for the post bubba, and for some strange reason, I'm not on the edge of the cliff after this game. I have faith in Buges to shore up our O-line (maybe they can lure big Ray out of retirement lol) and Santana and Clinton will play lights out the rest of the season. 2 of our biggest question marks coming into the season- our green QB and questionable defense- have been outstanding thus far. This is a team on the rise, and I'm embarassed about the knee-jerk reaction of a lot of the so-called "Fans" on this board.

In 2005, how did we start?

3-2.

How bad were those 2 losses?

2 pts (Denver) and 7 points (Kansas City).

I don't think too many would complain about another season like '05. We still have 11 games to play, and we have the talent to go 10-6 or better!

:logo:

:laugh: Memories tend to forget the negatives

the Gibbs of old teams, did lose half time leads, and did make mistakes that cost them ball games... we went to four super bowls in 11 years.... those other 7 years some mistakes were made, no different than those made so far... heck even in the super bowl years there were problems and mistakes made... that were over come during the season

and again.... there is plenty to look at in the empty half of the glass... but this was just looking at the glass half full scenario

but no matter how much you want to hate, and pout about the loss... there is still positive signs to take from this team so far to suggest good things to come

I didn't feel nearly as bad about this as I did after the Giants game.

If we even make 1-2 plays in the second half, that game is ours. If Moss shows up AT ALL, it's ours.

I don't expect to ever see Moss play that badly again. I don't expect to ever lose three starting O linemen in a game again.

But if we lose to the lowly Cardinals, all bets are off.

I didn't feel nearly as bad about this as I did after the Giants game.

If we even make 1-2 plays in the second half, that game is ours. If Moss shows up AT ALL, it's ours.

I don't expect to ever see Moss play that badly again. I don't expect to ever lose three starting O linemen in a game again.

But if we lose to the lowly Cardinals, all bets are off.

I agree, I even shook a Packers fan's hand after the game and had a beer with him during it. Those fans are classy people and I love the way they cheer for their team. we were all just having fun and yelling stuff at the TV together. he would tell me "Damn, do you think we are going to cover Cooley?" and then they would score and he would just not even look at me but flip me the bird. gotta love a fan that can dish it as well as take it.

must be all the cheese..or serial killers..i dunno..:cheers:

As usual Bubba and I never see eye to eye. However I do agree here with a lot he said. However lets not forget what we need to fix.

I have never seen a HC this bad this long in time managment. To call two consecutive time outs to decide to go for it or not with 4th and 2 is beyond pathetic, especially in a close game such as this.

Play calling once again was horrible in the 4th quarter. Run Run pass simply will not beat a D like GBs. And yes I do believe Gibbs was calling those plays. Granted with the way the receivers were playing maybe he didn't have much of a choice. Lets leave it at that.

Our D is great. In fact I share Bubba's sentiment and posted in a starting thread which the mods deleted that I believe we are just about the only NFC team with the D that can play NE. And yes if the receivers hold on to the damm ball we could beat them.

Moss and Portis "normally" don't have that type of issues but sorry Bubba this is the second game Portis fumbles the exact same way and Moss has caught only 12 passes the entire season. We are beyond saying "NORMALLY" here pal.

I do agree with Bubba with our D there isn't a team in the rest of the schedule we can't beat including NE. However for that to happen even ST with the great game he had yesterday he needs to pickup the other two INTs. He could have had the game of a lifetime with two additional easy INTs one going easily for a TD. And to beat a team like NE we need mistake free games from EVERYONE.

I just don't understand how discussing how we called timeouts to go for it on 4th and 2 in the 4th quarter when we were already losing makes any sense to some. :confused:

I'm not saying that you are wrong Greek. I am simply saying that we were already losing for a reason. And that reason was not bad coaching decissions. It was players dropping passes while they were wide open and fumbling after being hit. So, why skip over all of the poorly executed plays and go directly to coaching error?

Funny, I never remember Gibbs dropping a pass or failing to execute a well schemed play...

Sorry, but this is on the players...and they know it.

This organization finally has some credibility because of Gibbs II. The instant gratification we came to expect, beginning 15 years ago, became disappointment after disappointment.

Without Gibbs, we don't have JC...we probably have another bust qb pick or a retread.

Without Gibbs, we don't have GW.

Without Gibbs, we have a collection of self-centered players who have no grasp of the term 'team'.

So, lay off Gibbs. He's the least of any problems we have.

You want to explain the two timeouts to make a decision?

You want to explain why was Moss in the game after the fumble?

You want to explain the play calling when our running game had not worked the ENTIRE game?

Am I cutting down Gibbs? yes I am because it seems when the game is close instead of going for it we clam up and play super conservative. Sure Gibbs has done some great things but honestly what coach in the league has had such a free hand and all the money possible to go hire and buy whatever he wanted? NONE.

I just don't understand how discussing how we called timeouts to go for it on 4th and 2 in the 4th quarter when we were already losing makes any sense to some. :confused:

I'm not saying that you are wrong Greek. I am simply saying that we were already losing for a reason. And that reason was not bad coaching decissions. It was players dropping passes while they were wide open and fumbling after being hit. So, why skip over all of the poorly executed plays and go directly to coaching error?

because we have gone over the poorly executed plays in 150 other threads. So with that in mind sure if you tell me what do you think cost us the game I would not put Gibbs first, second or even 5th. But it sure didn't help with the time managment did it? I don't know man like most of skins fans I am pissed about his game because we just outplayed GB in EVERY PHASE of the game except the scoreboard. I am not arguing that I could be very wrong here but this team has lost two very winable games so far this year and EVERYONE has had a hand in it.

The things that make me feel the best are

1. Sean could have had 4 picks yesterday(wow).

2. We could easily be 5-0 right now if it weren't for a couple of drops and

fumbles. (not to mention "the second half we shall not speak of")

3. JASON CAMPBELL IS THE MAN. we finally have a QB that will lead this team.

This team has the ability to beat nearly any team in the NFL. We just have to execute and not kill ourselves

You want to explain the two timeouts to make a decision?

You want to explain why was Moss in the game after the fumble?

You want to explain the play calling when our running game had not worked the ENTIRE game?

Am I cutting down Gibbs? yes I am because it seems when the game is close instead of going for it we clam up and play super conservative. Sure Gibbs has done some great things but honestly what coach in the league has had such a free hand and all the money possible to go hire and buy whatever he wanted? NONE.

First of all, Gibbs I had some issues in some games...all coaches do...

Second, the NFL has a cap on spending...if it were as you said, we'd be the Yankees or the Red Sox of the NFL...but we have to deal with parity, a diluted talent pool, and limited roster size.

But, most importantly, we no longer have an organization that is a joke...for which I am entirely grateful.

That whole Norv thing still makes me angry.

Yes losing sucks, especially in a game (again) where we stopped ourselves in the second half, and it is easy to get down and lose focus....

But looking ahead, and somethings to take as possible positives

...Bubba, that glass has another 1/2; It is beyond maddening that this team has not fixed pressure situation management. Going on 4 years now. It was comical during the two timeouts how many people were standing around Jason offering their two cents. The poor guy had to walk backwards back to the huddle so many people were making last second comments plus whatever was being said to him in the helmet.

Every decision still seems to be a committee meeting. On the fumble return, the red flag should have come out, without hesitation. It was too big a play and at too big of a time. Seems the committee couldn't make a decision in time. Again.

Add to that the endless camera shots of Joe talking to Greg...when we had the ball.

We are STILL a team with too many chefs in the kitchen and no one seems to actually be in charge. There still is no place where the buck stops when it matters most.

This team has great talent and coaching. Nothing new there.

This team still is a giant, unwieldy bureaucracy when it can least afford to be.

I suppose that is appropriate give the city we're from, but it makes for tough sledding when the clock is ticking.

It is entertaining though. :cheers:

First of all, Gibbs I had some issues in some games...all coaches do...

Second, the NFL has a cap on spending...if it were as you said, we'd be the Yankees or the Red Sox of the NFL...but we have to deal with parity, a diluted talent pool, and limited roster size.

But, most importantly, we no longer have an organization that is a joke...for which I am entirely grateful.

That whole Norv thing still makes me angry.

Gibbs I made mistakes and we lost some close games but he also had teams in the playoffs almost every year and we were playing in an NFC that was the AFC is today. Remember those Cowboy, Giants, Bears, 49s teams? Brutal especially the NFC east. But to answer your question and also Bubba's question and answer about Gibbs I vs Gibbs II. Would we all on this board be screaming just about now about our HC for his head if Gibbs I never happened? Honeslty we would. This is the 4th year Gibbs is back and still time managment and game decisions make Chinesses fire drill look like utopia.

there isn't a cap on coaches. Currently we have by far the most highly paid coaches in the league

No our orginization is not a joke to us anymore because we believe in Gibbs to do the correct thing. However I am not so sure to the rest of the league. I mean last year with the AA thing and this year with the Lloyd thing people are laughing at us whether is right or wrong.

Yep, let's just calm down. If we can get our o-line some therapy we have a chance to get going.

We've got Tim Rattay coming to town from the desert. Then we have to play the invincible force in Foxboro. After that, two VERY winnable games -- at the meadowlands against the jets, and home vs. the Eagles.

We have not been outplayed once this year. We've lost two games by a combination of boneheaded coaching, careless turnovers and just plain bad luck.

Let's see where we are with the o-line injuries, support Santana (who's been responsible for a hell of a lot more wins here than losses and is taking full responsibility) and send a pissed off team out to FedEx sunday to tear up the Cards and go 4-2.

Gibbs I made mistakes and we lost some close games but he also had teams in the playoffs almost every year and we were playing in an NFC that was the AFC is today. Remember those Cowboy, Giants, Bears, 49s teams? Brutal especially the NFC east. But to answer your question and also Bubba's question and answer about Gibbs I vs Gibbs II. Would we all on this board be screaming just about now about our HC for his head if Gibbs I never happened? Honeslty we would. This is the 4th year Gibbs is back and still time managment and game decisions make Chinesses fire drill look like utopia.

there isn't a cap on coaches. Currently we have by far the most highly paid coaches in the league

No our orginization is not a joke to us anymore because we believe in Gibbs to do the correct thing. However I am not so sure to the rest of the league. I mean last year with the AA thing and this year with the Lloyd thing people are laughing at us whether is right or wrong.

The problem with your argument is that there WAS a Gibbs I...and we know that every year back then wasn't a stellar year. We had enough talent then because there was no salary cap...now, we're limited by that...talent.

Every team has some players that don't work out...I'd rather spend the bucks to try to address a need with the best perceived talent than to sit on my hands.

As the title of the thread implies...it's all how you look at it.

:cheers:

because we have gone over the poorly executed plays in 150 other threads. So with that in mind sure if you tell me what do you think cost us the game I would not put Gibbs first, second or even 5th. But it sure didn't help with the time managment did it? I don't know man like most of skins fans I am pissed about his game because we just outplayed GB in EVERY PHASE of the game except the scoreboard. I am not arguing that I could be very wrong here but this team has lost two very winable games so far this year and EVERYONE has had a hand in it.
I did mention what I thought cost us the game. And time management would not have even been a factor if those mistakes that I mentioned were never made, if plays were executed properly and if we didn't have o-line issues. Time management was a direct result of us having all of those thinbgs happen first.

The underlying point here that seems to get blown away as people focus heavily on the negatives is that both games that we lost could have just as easily been wins. We've beaten ourselves both times, and both in the 2nd half.

We have yet to get outplayed, and that's what we need to focus on as we go through this season. We are playing tough physical football, and have matched up well with everyone we've played to this point.

...Bubba, that glass has another 1/2;

yep, that half has been covered in about 100 other threads posted since the game ended

as BK said, the point is we haven't been beaten or blown out by another team, we have beaten ourselves.. and that is correctable

just giving a different prospective and something positive to balance out all the negativity.....

things are never as good as they appear, and are never as bad as they appear either, and as a whole we tend to dwell way too much on the outcome of a single game as if it is the deciding factor for how our season will end... instead of the reality it is one sixteenth, and the season has to play out.

Archived