Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell - 2007 Stat Tracker

Om

It's amazing what one off-the-chart game can do in a small sample size. He's a 60 percent passer now even though he went 57' date=' 55, and 47 in 3 of the 4 games.[/quote']

Relax, chuckles. This is just a tracker, not a referendum on what long-term indicators the first quarter report suggests.

Just for fun though ... it is interesting how pulling one off-the-chart game can skew things. If you drop the clunker in the Giants game, for instance, his percentage goes up to 64.5%, and his QB rating to 88.5.

Frankly, I think we should petition the league to drop those damn off-the-charts games from their statistical records altogether. Too confusing.

There are some interesting points in the espn stats. Campbell is the best in the 2nd quarter with a 116 qb rating

He has a 140 qb rating when throwing to the left side and when he throws to the right he has a 14.0 rating. YUCK! JC better never throw to the right again. haha

He hasnt throw a pick on 3rd down. He has a 118 Qb rating on 4th down.

His worst down is 1st down.

Even though we never use shotgun, he is best when in it with his 106.0 QB rating. His completion is a 49.7% when the I-formation.

Thanks OM, really good stats you showed us.

Relax, chuckles. This is just a tracker, not a referendum on what long-term indicators the first quarter report suggests.

Just for fun though ... it is interesting how pulling one off-the-chart game can skew things. If you drop the clunker in the Giants game, for instance, his percentage goes up to 64.5%, and his QB rating to 88.5.

Frankly, I think we should petition the league to drop those damn off-the-charts games from their statistical records altogether. Too confusing.

I just don't think you can learn much from a 4-game sample size. The NFL is still not terribly well-suited to sabremetrics though people are getting closer to making it so. Part of me thinks that players should only be evaluated on 8 or 16 game stretches, and it should be like the Olympics. The top and bottom game should be thrown out.

Or maybe everything should be done via graph.

The only stat that I'm interested in regarding Campbell at this point is completion percentage.

I'm not interested in any one stat, really. I try to look at the big picture. Completion percentage is a sexy barometer given Jason's struggles in that area early ... but then again, you'll see a guy like Chad Pennington, who is second only to Tom Brady at 71.2% at this point, who I don't think anyone mistakes for a great or particularly dangerous NFL QB at this point. Not to mention his team is 1-4.

Jason may never be a 70% passer, but I'll not be all that concerned if it turns out he's as accurate and effective down the field as he's shown himself to be so far. I'll take 55-60% any day of the week if it includes a half-dozen 20+ yarders, no picks and a couple of TD's. Particularly if he's converting 3rd downs to keep the running game in gear and scrambling for a couple first downs game.

Again, the numbers are for fun only, especially this early. I agree 4 games is far to few to make any kind of reasoned judgments from. Let's agree to meet here again at mid season, and again after the season, and see what kinds of conclusions we disagree on then. :)

His rating of 84.3 puts him at #25 out of 50 rated QBs. There are 2 running backs in that equation ahead of him. (per NFL.com) I see him with the potential to break into the top 10 by seasons end, once Saunders turns him loose and his confidence continues to grow.

The one stat that irks me is that Gibbs waited 9 games into '06 to realize he had a potential franchise QB under his nose.

Damn. That NFL stats site keeps all kinds of stats doesn't it?

Actually, I'd be willing to bet that Gibbs knew he had a potential franchise QB when he traded to get him. Just sayin'.

Game 5 – at Green Bay Packers (L, 17-14)

21 for 37 (56.8%)

217 yards (5.9 yds/att; 10.33 yds/comp)

1 TD, 1 INT

QB Rating: 71.6

Rushing: 2 carries, 6 yards (3.0 avg.), 1 TD

Game 5 Notes

Some days, numbers tell the story. Others, they do not. Redskins receivers dropped at least 6 passes in this one. Several cost the team crucial 3rd down conversions, resulting in loss of downs, yardage, continuity, momentum, etc.

- Lost yardage on those drops—conservatively, 100 yards.

- Lost TD’s—arguably, one, on Moss’ drop up the right sideline; a pass that could well have won the game.

- The interception came on another dropped pass (a deflection off Moss directly to a defender) that cost not only the turnover, but yet another 3rd down conversion.

Just so the effect of the dropped passes is clear, a little “what if” … add the 6 drops back in, take away the INT off Moss’ hands, add in the 100 yards the drops easily cost him, add in the likely TD to Moss:

27 for 37, 317 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT = QB Rating, 116.6

Acknowledging that’s a clear “best case” scenario and probably unrealistic, let’s be realistic. Add back in half of those drops (3), take away the INT bounced off Moss’ hands, give back half of the easily 100 yards lost, do not count the likely TD Moss’ drop up the sideline cost him:

24 for 37, 267 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT = QB rating, 95.2

If that's not enough, factor in that, without the drops, Campbell would most likely NOT have been winging it in desperation late in the game, in the face of a jailbreak pass rush behind a scout team offensive line, because his team would probably have had a lead and been running the ball … and you’ve got a strong case for throwing this week's stats out the window in terms of any meaningful assessment of Jason Campbell's play.

Historically, a lot of well remembered winning quarterbacks have had WRs that made them look better- Bradshaw and Simms come to mind. JC is doing extremely well and proving quite a bit of your preseason prognostication to be true. If we can fix other problems we'll see his stats balloon. I just hope the fanbase can somehow find a way to restrain some of their needy "instant gratification" impulses and let the kid grow without exposing him to a torrent of garbage the likes of which......... well, the likes of which fill the Stadium this morning.

Throw away the stats. I thought Jason's performance under Green Bay's pressure was outstanding. His stock rose in my estimation. He and Cooley were standouts though not good enough to offset poor performances by others on the offense.

Here's a statement that goes against conventional wisdom and early career statistics: Jason Campbell is an accurate passer.

Om noted the number of drops by usually reliable players in Green Bay, and that continues a trend this season. Campbell is progressing very nicely without great support from his receivers to this point.

Look at it this way. There have been more drops of on-target passes than there have been outstanding catches of off-target passes.

Jason is great and he is only going to get better, along with this team. We're not going to have a game with this many drops again, just doesn't happen that much. Good news is we played one of the best teams in the NFC and were clearly the better team, we haven't been beaten by anyone, we've beaten ourselves twice. But even on our worst day we could have beaten one of the best teams in the NFC. With Jason continuing to get better, and our D playing the way they are, this team can compete with anyone. It's not like last year when teams came out and just whipped us, teams that were just better then us. This year we only have to fear ourselves, but the pieces are in place for a great season.

Here's a statement that goes against conventional wisdom and early career statistics: Jason Campbell is an accurate passer.

I don't think accuracy can be separated from arm strength and touch when measuring the QB as a passer. For example, Chad Pennington is the most accurate passer in the league, but you can't attack the entire field with him and he's likely to get his receivers killed with his soft passes.

As a passer, I don't think Jason has what it takes to compete with the very best. I have Carson Palmer at the top with Tom Brady second. I don't see that kind of ability, but the Green Bay game convinced me that, given decent supporting talent, Jason is a winner.

I don't think accuracy can be separated from arm strength and touch when measuring the QB as a passer. For example, Chad Pennington is the most accurate passer in the league, but you can't attack the entire field with him and he's likely to get his receivers killed with his soft passes.

As a passer, I don't think Jason has what it takes to compete with the very best. I have Carson Palmer at the top with Tom Brady second. I don't see that kind of ability, but the Green Bay game convinced me that, given decent supporting talent, Jason is a winner.

You mean he's not Quicy Carter. :)

Archived