Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell - 2007 Stat Tracker

Om

:helmet:

241127.jpg

One thing I believe all Redskins fans can agree upon is that it’s been far too long since our team had a legitimate “Franchise QB” at the helm. Given that I’ve been as vocal a proponent of Jason Campbell being that man as anyone I know, I’m here to offer up the first installment of an ongoing, real-time record of the man’s numbers as he settles into his career.

Yeah, statistics only tell part of the story—we all know that. But we also know they’re a permanent and deeply ingrained part of NFL landscape and how modern sports fans view and discuss it. If nothing else, they’re a common frame of reference and a great jumping off point for interpretive debate.

Plus, I really never tire of talking about the best all-around Washington Redskins QB prospect since Sammy Baugh, so as far as I’m concerned any chance to get the conversation fired up again is a good one.

Not offering analysis here, just letting the numbers speak for themselves and say what they will to each of us. If nothing else, it should be fun to track the hard numbers as the season, and Jason’s career, unfolds.

2007 QB Jason Campbell Stat Tracker

Game 1 – Miami Dolphins (W, 16-13)

12 for 21 (57.1%)

222 yards (10.6 yds/att; 18.5 yds/comp)

0 TD, 2 INT

QB Rating: 54.2

Rushing: 4 carries, 29 yards

Game 2 – at Philadelphia Eagles (W, 20-12)

16 for 29 (55.2%)

209 yards (7.2 yds/att; 13.0 yds/comp)

1 TD, 1 INT

QB Rating: 75.2

Rushing: 6 carries, 39 yards

Game 3 – New York Giants (L, 24-17)

16 for 34 (47.1%)

190 yards (5.6 yds/att; 11.87 yds/comp)

1 TD, 0 INT

QB Rating: 74.4

Rushing: 4 carries, 12 yards

Game 4 – Detroit Lions (W, 34-3)

23 for 29 (79.3%)

248 yards (8.5 yds/att; 10.78 yds/comp)

2 TD, 0 INT

QB Rating: 125.3

Rushing: 2 carries, 0 yards

Game 5 – at Green Bay Packers (L, 17-14)

21 for 37 (56.8%)

217 yards (5.9 yds/att; 10.33 yds/comp)

1 TD, 1 INT

QB Rating: 71.6

Rushing: 2 carries, 6 yards (3.0 avg.), 1 TD

Game 5 Notes

Some days, numbers tell the story. Others, they do not. Redskins receivers dropped at least 6 passes in this one. Several cost the team crucial 3rd down conversions, resulting in loss of downs, yardage, continuity, momentum, etc.

- Lost yardage on those drops—conservatively, 100 yards.

- Lost TD’s—arguably, one, on Moss’ drop up the right sideline; a pass that could well have won the game.

- The interception came on another dropped pass (a deflection off Moss directly to a defender) that cost not only the turnover, but yet another 3rd down conversion.

Just so the effect of the dropped passes is clear, a little “what if” … add the 6 drops back in, take away the INT off Moss’ hands, add in the 100 yards the drops easily cost him, add in the likely TD to Moss:

27 for 37, 317 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT = QB Rating, 116.6

Acknowledging that’s a clear “best case” scenario and probably unrealistic, let’s be realistic. Add back in half of those drops (3), take away the INT bounced off Moss’ hands, give back half of the easily 100 yards lost, do not count the likely TD Moss’ drop up the sideline cost him:

24 for 37, 267 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT = QB rating, 95.2

If that's not enought, factor in that, without the drops, Campbell would most likely NOT have been winging it in desperation late in the game, in the face of a jailbreak pass rush behind a scout team offensive line, because his team would probably have had a lead and been running the ball … and you’ve got a strong case for throwing this week's stats out the window in terms of any meaningful assessment of Jason Campbell's play.

TOTALS

88 for 150 (58.7%)

1086 yards (7.24 yds/att; 12.34 yds/comp)

5 TD, 4 INT

QB Rating: 81.1

Rushing: 18 carries, 86 yards (5.0 avg.)

BONUS

For those who really like to dig into the numbers:

ESPN: Jason Campbell Splits

:helmet:

jasoncampbellskinsvpanthers.jpg

He looked very good against the Lions and he made some killer throws. I don't think people realize how much he's improved since last year. He puts the ball in places that protect his receivers and makes awesome decisions. He's so much better than people realize. I too am going to sit back and watch him get better and better. I think by the end of the year, people all around will take notice if they haven't already started to peek a little. Nice post Mark.

HTTR!

i would actually like them to call run plays for campbell, i think it can be really effective(affective? help me out) in goal line situations and on short yardage situations

I believe I have seen a couple of plays that appeared to be at least option run/pass plays for him. It appeared the idea of the play was to have him run, and he did,(as with most such plays, there's probably the "if it looks like you're going to die, throw it to him" option.

Hard not to be impressed with Jason at least a little up this point. Statistically, things are good and getting better, and on the field, it's clear he's improving. Alot. I think he turned the corner, (and so did the coaches to a certain extent), in the last 2 minutes of the Giants game and it appeared to show against Detroit.

I believe I have seen a couple of plays that appeared to be at least option run/pass plays for him. It appeared the idea of the play was to have him run, and he did,(as with most such plays, there's probably the "if it looks like you're going to die, throw it to him" option.

Sellers TD came directly to mind when I read this, The play was 3rd and 3 and had Sellers not broken free I could see Campbell tucking it to get 1st and goal.

]']I don't understand....

If Campbell has 6 carries for 80 yards' date=' how does he have a 5 yard average? wouldn't it be just under 7 yards.[/quote']

Just a cut-and-paste error. Fixed.

And no, it wouldn't be under 7. It would be 13.3 repeating.

Schools today. Yeesh. :cool:

Archived