Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you could take one modern military unit and bring it back to WWII...

E-Dog Night

We fire bombed Tokyo pretty good and the Allies destroyed every major city in Germany and they still did not surrender. Dresden got it the worst but pretty much every city with the capacity to produce a war product in Germany got leveled.

I agree that you need an in-defensible weapon to cause terror and that would be the SSBN someone else suggested. You can't kill what you can't find.

You cant go wrong with either, but a B-52 can unleash a lot more firepower if we arent using nukes.

Now here is one weapon I didn't think of but it would have helped tremendously.

MLRS.jpg

Steel Rain can really screw up an invasion.

Artillery like this would have really made an impact with the precision and range.

It would be the equivalent of the USS New Jersey on tracks and putting rounds on the target up to 30 miles away.

The Blitzkreig would have been literally stopped in its tracks.

Nothing can withstand a barrage like that....

You cant go wrong with either, but a B-52 can unleash a lot more firepower if we arent using nukes.

That depends...

If you could only take 1 technology back you could take back the B-52 but you could not take smart bombs back which is a completely different technology.

The real evolution is the smart bomb and not the carrier of the bomb.

The only difference between the B-52 and the B-17 or B-29 is the amount of dumb bombs each could carry.

1 stealth bomber with 1 smart bomb is more effective than all of the others combined.

The one technology I would want in the air is a modern day GPS bombing system. You can put that in any plane you want for WWII and win the war.

How about a couple of these:

01_10.gif

We could've seen Pearl Harbor coming and found the Japanese fleet anywhere in the Pacific. We would've been able to find the best landing site for D-Day much faster, and we would never have been surprised by the blitzkrieg.

Throw some cameras and GPS in orbit, and it's game over.

How about a couple of these:

01_10.gif

We could've seen Pearl Harbor coming and found the Japanese fleet anywhere in the Pacific. We would've been able to find the best landing site for D-Day much faster, and we would never have been surprised by the blitzkrieg.

Throw some cameras and GPS in orbit, and it's game over.

I am glad we agree...

I already made the exact same argument. If we had one spy satellite Japan would have gotten a rude welcome when they arrived at their jump off point for the Pearl Harbor attack.

The ability to put eyes on the objective is a great asset.

So now that we've established that this platform could hit any target anywhere in the world with little chance at being stopped, just think about the firepower it brings with it. It wouldnt even be fair. It carries a 60,000 lb payload.

Not bad, but 'tis but a trifle compared to the kilo-snottage released in a single sneeze from this guy:

chuck_norris-748639.jpg

I am glad we agree...

I already made the exact same argument. If we had one spy satellite Japan would have gotten a rude welcome when they arrived at their jump off point for the Pearl Harbor attack.

The ability to put eyes on the objective is a great asset.

:cheers: ... and a lot of our smart bombs and cruise missiles wouldn't be nearly as effective without the eyes in the sky.

...as for the cartoon characters and celebrity tough guys, there's already a thread for that: http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4068461

GBU 31 guided bombs. Of course that implies there is a GPS grid in existance but hey all the other candidates mentioned here can't stand alone either.

Good point...

The problem with the theory behind this discussion is you cannot take a modern day piece of military hardware back without taking a ton of technology advances back with you as well.

Example: If you take an M1A2 Abrams back then you have to take the following back with you:

• major computer technologies
  • armor technologies
  • fuel technologies
  • communications technologies
  • fire control technologies
  • Support technologies
  • Gun technologies (Ironically the M1A2 sports a German made gunnery system orginally developed for the leopard II tank)

Much like king tigers of their day, the M1A1 would have required massive support to get to and stay on the battlefield.

Archived