Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LaRon Landry

mAshparie36

I do have to agree though, Landry being the leader in tackling is not neccessarily a good thing. That to me, means the guys up front are not getting the job done, and more importantly the LB's arent getting in on the tackles. I mean week 1 and 2, when we had a solid defense, I think it was either McIntosh or Fletcher that led with the tackles, and that was when the D looked like 04' and 05'

Still they looked solid and sharp for the most part, until the 2nd half when the offense gave up on them and kept putting them back on the field after turnovers and 3 and out after 3 and out after 3 and out

clearly landry has skills but ST's is just scary and thinking of what he was and is capable of doing early on and now can instill fear in an opposing team, I mean think of how many deep balls have been thrown against our D so far, no one is being stupid enough to challenge ST, nobody.

Buddy,

He is a safety. As the name of his position implies, he is the last line of defense. I know he plays up a lot, but ball carriers shouldn't be getting to him that often. Last year, Archuleta led the team in tackles before he got benched. At season's end, Taylor was the team leader. In '05, it was Lemar Marshall; '04, Antonio Pierce. Get it?

i see what your saying, are you saying that he is performing like them and that we will trade him? im not sure but i dont see that happening, i do see the that the numbers are favoring history for what happened to those guys... but with marshall/archuletta/ and pierce doing pretty good now...dont think they would be dumb enough to make that mistake again

LL is leading the team in tackles is bc he plays so close to the box. so far, i think he has been a bit suspect in coverage. ST seemed to be a much better ballhawk his rookie year, despite not playing as much or as early
ya think? ST's role is to cover this year as landry is to rush...thats the difference in free saftey and strong safety

Landry is a good player. Much better than Archuleta.

But, so far we've seen the Skins play a bit more cover 2 than I like. I understand the need to switch things up, but having Fletcher cover Shockey is a mismatch. I'd like to see the Skins get back to press cover 1, and the cover 3 we were all talking about so much. Rogers to me is a much better CB when playing press coverage. My point is, when the rest of the team is playing well it will allow Landry to be used accordingly. If we keep running cover 2 and dime package prevent, we're not going to see the best of Laron.

:2cents:

I can't really agree with the original poster unless I have some actual data to chew on... I didn't get the same impression that Landry has had a bad game. If you are saying that he missed one tackle, and your whole thread is based on that, then I think you are wasting everyone's time.

BTW, Laron Landry is 12th in the league in tackles from the Defensive Back position... Also, he has the 3rd and 8th tacklers in the league in front of him at the Linebacker position. I'd say he is doing really well for a rookie: He is first in the league among DBs in tackles, and has more than double the tackles of other leading rookie safeties in the league. He has double Reggie Nelson, more than double Brandon Merriweather, and more than double Eric Weddle...

I do have to agree though, Landry being the leader in tackling is not neccessarily a good thing. That to me, means the guys up front are not getting the job done, and more importantly the LB's arent getting in on the tackles. I mean week 1 and 2, when we had a solid defense, I think it was either McIntosh or Fletcher that led with the tackles, and that was when the D looked like 04' and 05'

This is what I was getting at, Chris. I am in no way suggesting that we sump Landry after three games. By the nature of the position, the MLB should lead the team in tackles (hell, even Trotter did it his last year here). If a safety is leading in tackles, even one that is playing up, it means that the opposing offense is getting to many gains of 6, 7, 8 yards or more. This is not a reflection on LaRon, but on the defense as a whole.

He's a rookie....He's going to make mistakes or miss tackles. In fact, everyone misses tackles, rookies or not. He can't be perfect..he won't be perfect. No player is. I like his style of play. He seems committed and wants to perform well. He's still making the transition from college. He'll be ok. He's done well imo

This is what I was getting at, Chris. I am in no way suggesting that we sump Landry after three games. By the nature of the position, the MLB should lead the team in tackles (hell, even Trotter did it his last year here). If a safety is leading in tackles, even one that is playing up, it means that the opposing offense is getting to many gains of 6, 7, 8 yards or more. This is not a reflection on LaRon, but on the defense as a whole.

Who is suggesting that he is the leader in tackles? As far as I know, he is clearly behind Fletcher and McIntosh. Besides, he plays strong safety and closer to the line than most. I don't really think our defense is that bad to warrant the conclusions you are making.

Landry will get better he is a rookie obviously. Now I really love the way we are running our safeties a lot this year. LL30 is up in the bow a whole lot with ST21 really playing a deep center field as a ball hawk. My only wonder is what if we played this style last year with Archuleta? WOuld things have worked out better? Correct me if I'm wrong but Archuleta's biggest problems with us was his cover skills. I don't remember him playing the style they have Landry plying at all.

Smoot, Read here:

wtf are you talking about landry had 11 tackles and 6 solo...led the team in tackles sunday...wtf lol

and here:

look at tackles for the skins please http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=270923028 yea he missed a few but he made up for it too

No one is suggesting he leads the team in tackles on the year. He led the team in tackles on Sunday. I suggest you read the entire thread before taking a shot at somebody lest you look foolish.

Guest RideorDieChic
He wasn't playing as much as Landry this early on.

Taylor wasn't playing as much as Landry this early on, not because Taylor's capabilities or potentials were questionable. It was moreso the coaches. After the whole Archuleta fiasco, they had to find a plug to fix their mistake in order pacify fans and balance the defense. Landry was the answer.

If the tables were turned, meaning, had Taylor been drafted under equal conditions and reasons Landry was drafted for, Taylor would have started right away as well.

Landry is doing well, even the top safeties out there are missing tackles....what is more important is that he is trying and he is making a difference when out on the field.

No one is suggesting he leads the team in tackles on the year. He led the team in tackles on Sunday. I suggest you read the entire thread before taking a shot at somebody lest you look foolish.

Very much agreed. You say I should think about things before I waste everyone's time? your wasting my time because you dont know who led in tackles on sunday. dont come on here and try to be smart. Read my post I said i wanted to know what you guys thought, i did not say i want to know that im wasting your time. move along if i am please. thank you

Archived