Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs' Blowout Comment

DonkeyTeeth

Why is everybody having such a strong reaction to this one?

You don't plan blowout games. They happen because of flawless execution, opponents' miscues, forced turnovers, favorable official calls, and a little bit of dumb luck. Gibbs hasn't been presented too many of those conditions (especially the execution) together in one game since he came back.

Gibbs was never the one to get in front of the press and say 'we're going to demolish this team.' This crop of Redskins gets way too puffed up with overconfidence at the slightest hint of success or praise from the media. The last thing they need is to get even more of it from their own coaches.

And he was a humble being who coached a sorry assed 5-11 team last year who could only blow out 1 team...the Texans. Give us a break. I mean, if we can't beat ANY team by more then 2 TDs this year we might as well be playing to lose so that we can the best draft pick possible. We are not going to win **** against teams like the Pats, Pitt, or the (god forbid I say this) the Pukes, who are actually finishing their games out big. WE LOST TO THE SORRY ASSED GIANTS! We had the team and the talent to win by at least 17 points....but obviously not the coaching. Being humble is one thing. Being a wuss is another. Gibbs wussed out.

And he was a humble being who coached a sorry assed 5-11 team last year who could only blow out 1 team...the Texans. Give us a break. I mean, if we can't beat ANY team by more then 2 TDs this year we might as well be playing to lose so that we can the best draft pick possible. We are not going to win **** against teams like the Pats, Pitt, or the (god forbid I say this) the Pukes, who are actually finishing their games out big. WE LOST TO THE SORRY ASSED GIANTS! We had the team and the talent to win by at least 17 points....but obviously not the coaching. Being humble is one thing. Being a wuss is another. Gibbs wussed out.

I hate to say it, but this is absolutely right. I understand being humble, but at some point you have to put your foot down. You have to go out and play to win the game, not to not lose it. This team is capable of amazing things, but they're being held back and it's rediculous. Look at Pittsburgh. They're twice as good now with a more open-minded coach allowing them to play to their full potential. The cowboys are even rolling because their coaching staff realizes the talent of their team, so they have blowout wins. To sit there and say they won't blow people out, or that he WANTS games to be close is pathetic if you ask me.

So yes, wuss is the perfect word here.

^^ I definately agree with the humble v wuss thing...and I honestly do understand why he wants to be humble, he's a respected coach (even if not for these recent years) and it wouldn't be very classy for him to say that we are going to have a blowout, but it wouldn't hurt him to say that he wants one =) And sometimes he's so "humble" it seems he just doesn't have faith in his team-and that's a problem.

Pitt is a horrible team to compare us too. They havent played anybody good yet. The 49'ers, the browns, and the buffalo are not great teams. They are basement teams. The giants are not going to be a basement team and they will probably finish 7-9 to 10-6 this year.

Remember, the all mighty pukes only beat the giants by 10.

Its sad about how much people though we could blow a team away by.

You don't plan blowout games. They happen because of flawless execution, opponents' miscues, forced turnovers, favorable official calls, and a little bit of dumb luck. Gibbs hasn't been presented too many of those conditions (especially the execution) together in one game since he came back.

While I agree with your sentiments about Gibbs and not wanting to hurt the players anymore, wouldn't you agree that we had pretty much all of your mentioned keys to a blowout minus the officials calls?

We forced three turnovers, two on their side of the field. We were lucky in that the fumble bounced our way, and we got a tipped the ball...which also plays into opponent's miscues. With a 17-3 lead at half plus a huge turnover right at half, should have helped us on our way to a blowout. I'm not in anyway bashing you, I partially agree with you, I just think people are upset because in all likelihood, we should have blown them out yesterday.

Should have....

Gibbs was never the one to get in front of the press and say 'we're going to demolish this team.' This crop of Redskins gets way too puffed up with overconfidence at the slightest hint of success or praise from the media. The last thing they need is to get even more of it from their own coaches.

Some people have zero reading and listening comprehension skills, which is one of the many feeble reasons they are freaking out today. This board disgusts me today.

Some people have zero reading and listening comprehension skills, which is one of the many feeble reasons they are freaking out today. This board disgusts me today.

Agreed.

Did you hear the part where he said the Giants had punted a total of 5 times before our game? That's pretty impressive and points to the Giants not being horrible. They lost to the Cowboys and the Packers which are both playing some pretty good ball right now. We made the punt 5 times yesterday, btw.

I don't know if you call it humble or playing scared? There's no "killer instinct" there..no finish 'em now and let's get it over with, no hatchet in the back..nail in the coffin!

Why? Why is he coaching this way? Has he been threatened? I never remember him being this way in Gibbs I. The one thing I remember saying when he was brought back in was..."at least now we'll go for some of those 4 and(insert short yds here) that we weren't going for before". WRONG! Hasn't happened yet.

I didn't listen to the post game stuff yesterday. But for a coach to stand before the media and say we don't have the talent to blow out opponents is a bit "kick em when they're down" no faith, give up. I couldn't believe when I saw on here that he would do such a thing. How does that make the players feel? It doesn't do wonders for the fans I can tell ya that!

I don't want him fired...I WANT HIM FIRED UP! For crying out loud already! WANT TO WIN once in a while!

:cuss:

Ok..I feel better...:)

I think that's why there are four quarters in a football game. You have to play all of them. Gibbs' team, for some reason, came out flat in the third quarter. I don't know how much of that was coaching/play calling, or if it had anything to do with the team's ugly-ass yellow helmets (kidding), but the fact of the matter is that you HAVE to play for a blowout in this league. You're not always going to get it, but you have to at least try. Otherwise, you lose your rythm and that is very hard to get back. This is a tough loss...but it's not the end of the world. Bye week is coming up. Let's regroup and come out swinging!!! HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!

As much as it kills me to say it, I agree with you 100%! :doh:

Agreed as well.

There is plenty of blame to be spread around for this loss. It does not all go at the feet of Gibbs (although some certainly does).

Either way its one loss and only one game.......and even in this loss I've seen things that make me optimistic about this year and the future.

The problem I have with yesterday's game isn't that we lost, I am used to that. I have a problem with the team seemingly thinking that the 14 point lead was good enough to win. In the first half the team played with urgency and played with passion. In the second half the Defense made some plays but gave up three scores and the offense couldn't do anything against a bad defense. Something happened yesterday to the offense in the third quarter and I believe it was due to the Giants adjusting to our gameplan we utilized in the first half. In the second half we didn't game plan against the Giants well enough to stop what they wanted to do and we lost the game. The game came down to wills and we lost.

In addition the game decision to use Betts on the goal line baffels me. Why didn't they use Portis? And lastly the comments Gibbs made have all put this together in a nutshell for me and I hate what it says to me - Gibbs is being outcoached.

As a fan for my whole life Gibbs is a hero of mine. I don't like to think that Gibbs is being outcoached but these are his decisions to make and his own words. Humility has a place but accepting losing isn't one of them. Winning is what should matter, that's it. I want my Joe Gibbs to blow out teams and then say afterwards "They are a great football team, we played great and they had an off day" as a show of his humility. Never do I want any coach of the Skins to say "Every game is going to be close, we aren't that good to blow anyone out". Those differences are magnified when you know all it takes is the heart of a champion and playmakers making good plays to do that. Right now the Skins coaches don't seem like they have the hunger they once did and there words don't echo any sentamite that they believe in the team. If the coaches don't believe in the players how can we?

This isn't the Gibbs I know, this is a man far removed from greatness that doesn't believe in himself anymore. I think the stress got to him. Gibbs needs to get back to basics. Winning is everything, nothing else matters. Get the ship back on track before its too late Gibbs

I hate to say it, but this is absolutely right. I understand being humble, but at some point you have to put your foot down. You have to go out and play to win the game, not to not lose it. This team is capable of amazing things, but they're being held back and it's rediculous. Look at Pittsburgh. They're twice as good now with a more open-minded coach allowing them to play to their full potential. The cowboys are even rolling because their coaching staff realizes the talent of their team, so they have blowout wins. To sit there and say they won't blow people out, or that he WANTS games to be close is pathetic if you ask me.

So yes, wuss is the perfect word here.

Agreed two fold. We need to learn to put our foot on the opponents throats when we have them down.

Agreed.

Did you hear the part where he said the Giants had punted a total of 5 times before our game? That's pretty impressive and points to the Giants not being horrible. They lost to the Cowboys and the Packers which are both playing some pretty good ball right now. We made the punt 5 times yesterday, btw.

Do you understand it's not the defense that anyone is ranting about? The defense held the vaunted Giants to 10 points through 3 quarters. It's the offense and the "let's play not to lose" attitude by the coaches that are getting to us. it has nothing to do with the defense. They shut down the Giants better than Dallass and better than Green Bay, but got tired in the end.

Agreed.

Yeah, that's what makes Gibbs and whoever decided to call the plays look that much more idiotic. If we forced the Giants to punt as many times as they have the previous 2 games, games in which they lost, that shows how pathetic we are. You're telling me that a team which is up 17-3 at half isn't even in position to score ANY points until it is absolutely necessary to even TAKE THE GAME TILL OT???? The type of predictable playcalling with no spine or no imagination will in fact get us BLOWN OUT against teams like NE or Dallas. Playing not to lose will lose you more games than at least keeping a good thing going in the second half. COmpletely spineless football from the coaching staff is what lost us the game.

What threw me off is how he said it. I believed he stated that we were not capable of having blow out games. This tells me that he lack confidence in either his players, coaches or himself!?!:whoknows:

I still have faith in Gibbs, but what kind of message are you sending to your team when you say thing's like that?

Do you understand it's not the defense that anyone is ranting about? The defense held the vaunted Giants to 10 points through 3 quarters. It's the offense and the "let's play not to lose" attitude by the coaches that are getting to us. it has nothing to do with the defense. They shut down the Giants better than Dallass and better than Green Bay, but got tired in the end.

I was responding to the comment that the Giants were a horrible team. I think their defense was suspect, but I wouldn't call them horrible.

I understand perfectly well, most people aren't upset with the defense., but rather the offense or the playcalling. I don't think it was conservative playcalling that hurt us, but rather the execution of the plays called. In fact, I don't think we tried to run enough. I think if we had gotten one or two first downs early in the third quarter things would have been different.

Yeah, that's what makes Gibbs and whoever decided to call the plays look that much more idiotic. If we forced the Giants to punt as many times as they have the previous 2 games, games in which they lost, that shows how pathetic we are. You're telling me that a team which is up 17-3 at half isn't even in position to score ANY points until it is absolutely necessary to even TAKE THE GAME TILL OT???? The type of predictable playcalling with no spine or no imagination will in fact get us BLOWN OUT against teams like NE or Dallas. Playing not to lose will lose you more games than at least keeping a good thing going in the second half. COmpletely spineless football from the coaching staff is what lost us the game.

I dont think we were calling conservative calls. We passed much more than we ran in the 3rd quarter. We missed some deep and middle passes and even on short passes, its hard to know if that was the 1st, 2nd or 3rd option. If Campbell and Moss had hooked up on the deep pass in the 3rd period, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

I dont think we were calling conservative calls. We passed much more than we ran in the 3rd quarter. We missed some deep and middle passes and even on short passes, its hard to know if that was the 1st, 2nd or 3rd option. If Campbell and Moss had hooked up on the deep pass in the 3rd period, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

Disagree.

First 4 possessions- 4 passes, 7 runs

Last 2 possessions- 17 passes, 3 runs

Look in the thread stared by TK. It shows play by play.

I think that's why there are four quarters in a football game. You have to play all of them. Gibbs' team, for some reason, came out flat in the third quarter.

Actually, I don't think the Skins came out flat, but that the Giants stepped it up to another level, and we couldn't respond in kind. Plays the Giants missed in the first half they weren't missing in the second half. They made few mistakes.

Jason

Archived