Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2ND Half Play Calling In Black & White

TK

We run way too much on first down! I don't really understand what stood out in the playcalling that made it so bad. The play was a little conservative, but Jason Campbell wasn't exactly on fire. The offensive line really misses Randy Thomas, and it showed by seeing how Campbell started looking antsy in the pocket.

This star rating system really doesn't work after a loss. I think people just look at the title and give threads 1 star. I had to even it out.

Looks to me like putting Campbell in the shotgun and throwing deep works well for him...why not try it before we are on the last drive of the game?

(I'm not ****ing about the playcalling here, so chill out)

I just glanced at the second to last drive, and there are several "deep" passes listed there.

Looks to me like putting Campbell in the shotgun and throwing deep works well for him...why not try it before we are on the last drive of the game?

(I'm not ****ing about the playcalling here, so chill out)

I agree with you, I think JC is far better in the shotgun, unless it is a play action pass

I would like to see him back there more

We run way too much on first down! I don't really understand what stood out in the playcalling that made it so bad. The play was a little conservative, but Jason Campbell wasn't exactly on fire. The offensive line really misses Randy Thomas, and it showed by seeing how Campbell started looking antsy in the pocket.
huh? We didn't run enough, period. Clinton Portis had 3 carries in the 2nd half, unless I'm reading your stat sheet wrong, TK. 3 carries to our premier offensive player. 3 carries, 14 yards. To be honest, my only gripe with the play calling was why he didn't get the last two carries, which probably would have made us all forget the nightmare we just experienced.

Only gripe with the defense was the 3 3rd down conversions on that opening drive in the second half.

The "blame the play calling" deal after every single loss is getting really tired. Let's face it, the players just didn't get it done yesterday. Drops, fumbles, missed assignments, etc., are not the fault of the coaches.

Exactly. Players play and coaches are no different then the fans once the ball is snapped. We lost to a horrible giants defense.

This reminded me of the Raiders loss in '05. You win some and lose some but unfortunately its the way that we lose (and how much more we lose vs. win over the last decade) that's difficult to swallow:2cents:

51 seconds left and we spike.....could have easily thrown the ball into the endzone.

Then a pass on second down?

Then 2 runs?

All very strange to me. It seems way more logical to take a quick throw on first down, (basically killing the clock but still giving a shot at a TD) then just burning the down. 51 seconds is ALOT of time.

Then on 2nd down we pass--fine but this seems like the key running down.

If you run on second down and dont get it, then you can pass on third that will either 1. score or 2. stop the clock for the crucial 4th down play.

Instead we ran on 3rd, which means the crucuial 4th down played was horribly rushed.

The "blame the play calling" deal after every single loss is getting really tired. Let's face it, the players just didn't get it done yesterday. Drops, fumbles, missed assignments, etc., are not the fault of the coaches.

I agree. Execution was a problem.

But spiking the ball on 1st down was a bad coaching move.

That is a bad coaching move. They needed that extra down as it turns out.

"blame the playcalling" does come into effect when you aren't stretching the defense and the giants load up 8 men into the box to shut down the run. There wasnt a glimpse of a true passing attack throughout most of the game. Short screens, short hitches, passes into the flat don't count. They need to be more vertical in their passing game. And the run twice, past once set of plays is getting tiresome. You cant run effectively unless you can pass effectively.

I see teams like the cowboys/eagles/packers being able to pass 2 or 3 or even 4 plays in a row and have a lot of success. We cant seem to generate more than 1 or 2 passing plays in succession unless, say, there's less than a minute left and we've blown a 14 point lead TO THE GIANTS. It is bad playcalling. Its unimaginative. We were unable to pass on and exploit a REELING giants secondary, like the cowboys and packers were able to do. Playcalling DID have something to do with it. We were outcoached after the half. Simple as that.

enough with the rudimentary game plans. Grow some balls and come up with an effective gameplan to attack an adversaries weaknesses.

huh? We didn't run enough, period. Clinton Portis had 3 carries in the 2nd half, unless I'm reading your stat sheet wrong, TK. 3 carries to our premier offensive player. 3 carries, 14 yards. To be honest, my only gripe with the play calling was why he didn't get the last two carries, which probably would have made us all forget the nightmare we just experienced.

Only gripe with the defense was the 3 3rd down conversions on that opening drive in the second half.

Did you notice how many yards per carry we picked up in the 2nd half? It was sub 3 ypc.

I truly believe Al and/or Buges has little faith in our o-line to effectively run the ball at this point. Even last week we had a tough time running from the LOS.

^^^^Yes, I didn't agree with the spike either, but JC is young and still reliant upon the coaches. His independence will grow with his experience. For all we know, it was JC rushing the play on 4th down, as it seemed to me he should not have called hike until there were a few seconds on the clock, thus preventing any KR for the Giants at the end. We obviously still have some hitches, but we are still in good shape, and should continue to do so. Judging from the players' responses after the game, they all know this one was on them (although I too would have liked Sellers or CP in at the end) and hopefully they will overcome this. Last season is a big reminder for them, and I believe they have what it takes to overcome. They had it in Miami, and they came within 3 feet of it yesterday.

51 seconds left and we spike.....could have easily thrown the ball into the endzone.

Then a pass on second down?

Then 2 runs?

All very strange to me. It seems way more logical to take a quick throw on first down, (basically killing the clock but still giving a shot at a TD) then just burning the down. 51 seconds is ALOT of time.

Then on 2nd down we pass--fine but this seems like the key running down.

If you run on second down and dont get it, then you can pass on third that will either 1. score or 2. stop the clock for the crucial 4th down play.

Instead we ran on 3rd, which means the crucuial 4th down played was horribly rushed.

Yup, the end was extremely frustrating. A shovel pass, or a QB sneak, or a quick draw, or a bootleg, etc. I'm no off coordinator, but damn. 3 feet in 4 down territory, very frustrating.

Yup, the end was extremely frustrating. A shovel pass, or a QB sneak, or a quick draw, or a bootleg, etc. I'm no off coordinator, but damn. 3 feet in 4 down territory, very frustrating.

I know man, it just didnt make sense, wasting a down with just about a minute left? It kills.

No roll plays for cambell to run? Or hell put him in the shotgun and a possible draw, so many options and we just botched it bad, plus no portis! The 4th down play, it looked like portis would have scored, but he wasnt in the game.

lets take a look at the playcalling when we still had the lead though, obviously once we gave up 21 unanswered we werent gonna run because we were forced to throw.

3rd quarter: we ran 6 offensive plays. 2 were running plays, 4 were passes. of the 4 passes, campbell scrambled on one of them, threw to portis for a loss of a 4 on a botched screen pass, threw deep to moss once, and threw short to moss once. does that look like the playcalling by an offensive coordinator whos goal is to "attack"? doesnt look like it to me.

4th quarter tied up: now the game is tied 17 a piece, and heres what we run

reverse to moss for 2 yards

handoff left to portis for 3 yards

dropped swing pass to portis

punt

again, does that look like an attacking offense to you? looks like mark brunell style

offense, all short, nothing stretch.

we get the ball back again, and what do we do now?

2 handoffs to portis, one for 1 yard, and one fumble on the handoff where the giants get the ball. again, does that look like an attacking offense?

so while with the lead and tied, here is the offensive playcalling so far:

11 plays, 0 3rd down conversions, 6 running plays, 5 passing plays (one was a scramble but was still attempted pass play). wow. and one pass was deep, all the rest were short out of the backfield garbage.

so now were losing after giving up 21 straight, and of course we start heaving the ball all over the place. and after some sort of miracle campbell gets us to the 1 yard line, and for 3 plays we do a swing pass to sellers, and two sweeps with our slow backup running, while clinton portis watches from the bench. wow again.

Did you notice how many yards per carry we picked up in the 2nd half? It was sub 3 ypc.

I truly believe Al and/or Buges has little faith in our o-line to effectively run the ball at this point. Even last week we had a tough time running from the LOS.

Are you including the sack, Campbell's scramble and Moss's end around? Portis ran for carries of 3, 8, 3, and 1 (4 carries in the second half, not 3). Not great, but you can't give up on it. And perhaps you're right in their lack of faith. Either way, you can't give up on it!! Running the ball early and often pays off in the 4th quarter when the defense is tired and exhausted like Miami was in OT.

Granted, you convert a few of those 3rd down conversions through the air and we have more opportunites to run.

Archived