Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2ND Half Play Calling In Black & White

TK

Rewatched the game again and I feel a lot better now that I did. We missed on a couple of plays that could have changed the momentum in our favor and still had a shot at the end.

I think the final possession on 3rd and goal was symptomatic for the kind of day we ended up having. The play was beautifully designed and everybody executed their blocks but Betts, rather than following his lead blocker Sellers, decides to cut back into what looked like an opening. Sadly Mitchell was in pursuit and dropped Betts just shy of the goal line.

If Betts follows Sellers it's a TD, and that's how it was all afternoon. We were close but couldn't get it done when it matters.

I hope we learn from it and take care of the upcoming teams.

Not black and white enough:

run

deep pass

short pass

short pass

run

run

run

run

short pass

run

run

24-17 Giants

Well thats amazing, because thats the same thing I saw. Those short passes are as good as runs in my opinion. The Giants secondary sucks and they proved that the first 2 weeks. We took 2 deep shots before we were down by 7. Out of those 2 shots we had a 40 to 50 yd pass to Moss. The deep pass was there, but we didn't go for it. Its simple Gibbs sits on leads and he has no confidence. Another thing on those two last plays of the game. If Gibbs wanted to run so bad, why didn't he have JC roll out. JC is a big mobile QB. He has proved he can run, so why not give him the option to pass or throw. Make the defense take both the pass and the run away. Sorry Gibbs is at fault and the play calling was crap. Of course its going to look better on paper, but i watched the game. We didn't pass it farther than 10 yards until after we got down by 7.

but if none of it works.....i'd go with poor playcalling.

i like the last 4 plays. stellar.

Not even one attempt to Cooley in the second half. Not one attempt to Yoder either. Not one attempt to Thrash. Of course go to the guys that everyone in this solar system no you go to why surprise anyone in an attempt to be different. Hell , that might just get a completion and we sure wouldn't want to do that now would we?? It's not dramatic enough. I say instead of getting rid of Lloyd , get rid of Gibbs. The game has outgrown him I am sorry to say , I respect him for what he did in the past. But , c'mon after 4 years it's the same old story it has been with this guy. Sorry Joe , you gotta go!!!

Rewatched the game again and I feel a lot better now that I did. We missed on a couple of plays that could have changed the momentum in our favor and still had a shot at the end.

I think the final possession on 3rd and goal was symptomatic for the kind of day we ended up having. The play was beautifully designed and everybody executed their blocks but Betts, rather than following his lead blocker Sellers, decides to cut back into what looked like an opening. Sadly Mitchell was in pursuit and dropped Betts just shy of the goal line.

If Betts follows Sellers it's a TD, and that's how it was all afternoon. We were close but couldn't get it done when it matters.

I hope we learn from it and take care of the upcoming teams.

It's not a question of what happened at the very end of the game it's a question of why did we ever even get to that point at all. If you don't have the cohunas to stomp the throat of your opponent than you have outlive your ability to be a head coach simple as that. C'mon people let's face it Joe isn't a God of football and it's pretty clear now that he is going to steer this team right over a cliff every week. And why should he care , he's getting 5 million a year whether we win or lose. NO BALLS!!!!

To tell ya the truth I think we are damn lucky to be 2-1 at this point. All the games played have come down to the very end of the game. For what reason I couldn't begin to understand if this team is up by 3 points in the beginning of the 3rd quater we go into protect the lead mode and it is going to kill us every time. We are damn lucky we ain't 0-3 to this point. If somebody doesn't lite a fire under Gibbs ass and make him understand that it is 2007 and not 1991 anymore.

And to make matters worse he isn't even having the players come in this week at all. Boy that makes so much sense to me , not!!! This O-line has issues that could be greatly advanced by working together over the bye and this secondary certainly isn't all we were led to believe it was either. I for one am not making excuses for this team or this coach anymore damn it I WANT VICTORY!!! NOT EXCUSES ANYMORE!!!!

It's not a question of what happened at the very end of the game it's a question of why did we ever even get to that point at all. If you don't have the cohunas to stomp the throat of your opponent than you have outlive your ability to be a head coach simple as that. C'mon people let's face it Joe isn't a God of football and it's pretty clear now that he is going to steer this team right over a cliff every week. And why should he care , he's getting 5 million a year whether we win or lose. NO BALLS!!!!

That's ridiculous to think that Gibbs cares only about his paycheck. But anyhow, the Redskins did attempt some deep passes with a 14-3 lead. They just didn't convert. Furthermore, we have one of the best running games in the NFL, a defense that has given up just one TD in the first two weeks, a young QB with less than a season's worth of game experience, why not use your strengths...run the ball, control the clock, play-action pass. Not everything has to be 80 yard bombs

Now, back to jumping off of bridges because we've lost ONE game.

TK, I'm not jumping off any bridges, and I'm definitely not ready to run Gibbs out of town. I do believe though that Gibbs' ultra-conservatism cost him the game.

The defense was AWFUL in the second half. They gave up a 10 play, 5 minute drive to open the second half before the offense even had a chance to take the field. Then they were on the field for another 3 minutes before getting an interception that was basically the same as a punt. That's 8 minutes of football that the defense was on the field in two possessions. One three-and-out doesn't cause that. Playing badly does.

Henry, like the offense, the defense went into ultra-conservative mode in the second half, playing soft zones. Defense looked strangely like last years' defense. That bend don't break defense combined with multiple 3 and outs is a disaster.

Archived