Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Who the hell is Phil Spector?

Zen-like Todd

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Spector was a big time record producer in the 60's who's most notable for his "wall of sound" technique and working with the Beatles.

All but the Beatles part. Spector was big in Motown, girl groups like the Ronettes and Shirelles were his creation.

He hasn't been relevant for a long time. If anyone could tell me the last hit he produced, I'd be interested to know what it is.

~Bang

All but the Beatles part. Spector was big in Motown, girl groups like the Ronettes and Shirelles were his creation.

He hasn't been relevant for a long time. If anyone could tell me the last hit he produced, I'd be interested to know what it is.

~Bang

ok so he re-produced "Let it be" and produced several solo projects for John Lennon "Imagine", and George Harrison "All things must pass". Are they not

"Beatles"?

So it's fair to say it's a bit of an age issue? The 40+ among us seem more likely to know about him.

I'd say so. And I only know because my mother and father were young and bought his records when i was small. The folks who bought his music are mostly in their 60s now.

~Bang

ok so he re-produced "Let it be" and produced several solo projects for John Lennon "Imagine", and George Harrison "All things must pass". Are they not

"Beatles"?

Sorry to quibble. You're right, he produced two Beatles songs. He did work with John Lennon on his solo stuff, and he did also produce the best solo album any Beatle made, Harrison's "All Things Must Pass". But it's hardly what he's known for.

He also produced a Ramones album, but I'd bet most don't know that either. (Rock and Roll Radio)

He's mostly known for his work with all those girl groups.

If you asked people who the Beatles producer was, 99% of them would tell you George Martin. (Providing they knew.)

~Bang

Sorry to quibble. You're right, he produced two Beatles songs. He did work with John Lennon on his solo stuff, and he did also produce the best solo album any Beatle made, Harrison's "All Things Must Pass". But it's hardly what he's known for.

He also produced a Ramones album, but I'd bet most don't know that either. (Rock and Roll Radio)

He's mostly known for his work with all those girl groups.

If you asked people who the Beatles producer was, 99% of them would tell you George Martin. (Providing they knew.)

~Bang

agreed, I mentioned the Beatles because they were the most notable. If you were creating a resume for Spector, producing "Imagine" would not be at the bottome of the list ;)

He was huge in the background of pretty much all American pop music in the 60s, especially that marketed at teens. He is one of the few producers in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

He was mostly a record producer but also wrote a lot of big hits - You've Lost that Loving Feeling, To Know Him is to Love Him, Spanish Harlem, etc.

• 3 years later...

Archived