Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jaws on the Redskins

MikeB

I don't mind the smash mouth football because it controls the clock and keeps the other teams offense off the field while wearing down their defense. One stat on offense that REALLY needs to change if we're going to go anywhere is QB. I don't mind limiting Jason to 20-25 throws a game, but 12-21 and two INTs won't cut it. He needs to get it to 19-25 with 2 TDs and 1 or 0 INT's for this offense to be successful. Until he does, we're gonna have 16-13 nailbiters for the whole season.

I disagree; I think that they wanted to make sure that Portis would remain fresh. I think that as the season goes on, we'll see Portis getting more and more carries and Betts getting less and less. Eventually, Betts will only be getting around five carries a game.

It will probably tip in Clinton favor as things go on, I think they really want to keep Betts a little more active this year. Betts also had some good runs Sunday and together they got the D pretty tired. Having both guys relatively fresh near the end is an excellent thing.

Well, I definately saw a difference in our offensive philosophy against Miami.

I think we substituted Betts for Portis after something like 8 plays.

Used to be Betts was the second-string guy who came in when Portis couldn't keep it up any more. But I think maybe we're migrating to more of a "RB by committee" than a "#1 and a #2" arrangement.

Which IMO is a great idea because it can limit the possibility for injuries and keeps both backs fresh. I don't think that either RB will have difficulty getting into a rythm throughout the game either.

Maybe a good analysis based on one game. We didn't need to blitz against Miami. We didn't need to pass 40 times, etc. etc. I think we'll start to see some blitzing Monday night. There are also quite a few other games I expect to see the defensive pressure come from blitzes. As far as JC, give the boy some time. He's got to get into a groove before we see an aerial attack. Why show all our cards in the beginning of the season when we have 15 more hands to play.

I was driving home last night from the airport and heard Jaws on a 950AM (local Philly radio station) and he had some interesting points on the Skins-Eagles game:

1. Said we are not a blitzing team and play soft off the corners. Didn't really analyze this much but also stated that McNabb is not the same guy as in the past... can't make the great scramble plays any longer.

2. When asked about JC he said he is the type of QB that needs to be managed to 22- 25 throws a game (i.e. he won't be tossing 40 balls anytime soon.) He can attack all areas of the field with a great arm and is by no means a statue. While not a scrambling type of QB, can move around, is hard to bring down, and can make some plays with his legs.

3. On the INT, said that Campbell telegraphs his receiver and a seasoned safety like Dawkins will definitely pick up on this and get picks.

4. Said that after watching the Skins-Fins game that the Skins have gone back to the smashmouth football of Gibbs past. This is not the Saunders offense we saw last year.

I was surprised that he thinks our offensive philosophy has changed… just curious if the rest of you think that we will see a dramatic change this season versus the last 7 games of last year. I thought the offense was coming around in those games and finding some identity. Nice pass-rush mix. I would be a bit disappointed if we didn’t try to spread the field more as Campbell settles in this season.

I was also surprised that Jaws didn’t point out Campbell’s TD-INT ratio last year. I think it was quite good for a rookie and while there is some validity to keeping the young QB’s touches to a minimum (especially given our run game) I see the Miami game as more of an anomaly then the norm.

I don't think our offensive philosophy has changed. It's still the old football philosophy of take what the opposing defense gives you. There will a few games when Saunders will rain passes down field but the NFC is a better coverage division than the AFC.

Campbell does telegraph his intentions and will have to be coached not to. But when he can play coy with the opposing defenses, he's going to be damn good.

I like Jaws analysis on everyteam. That man can break down game tape. Here is an excerpt of what he wrote in today's column on ESPN today

If someone wants an idea what Washington wants to do, they should watch a tape of the Redskins' offense from 1982. It's clear that the wide-open Al Saunders experiment is over in Washington. The Redskins have gone back to what head coach Joe Gibbs is comfortable with: a grind-it-out Hogs' style offense from the early '80s.

That's a good thing for two reasons for the Redskins, who play the Eagles on "Monday Night Football" this week. One, it is a return to something that Gibbs is comfortable with. Two, it protects young quarterback Jason Campbell.

I'm not sure Campbell would have been able to thrive in a more wide-open passing attack because of his youth and inexperience. While he definitely has an arm that is strong enough to make every throw available to him, he still hasn't experienced enough to fully understand all the subtleties and nuances of the position.

Campbell still can be confused by the defense and has the bad habit of staring down his receivers. He also doesn't seem to understand how to manipulate the defense with his eyes like a more experienced quarterback does. Of course, this is pretty normal stuff for a quarterback still in the embryonic stage of his career.

Your thoughts? I didn't want to post a new thread.

because Denver's defense couldn't stop timmy smith for ****. We burned them with playaction again and again.

just for clarificatoin, timmy had nothing to do with the running game that day. i could have ran through 9 foot holes too. but that's the point of gibbs' offense. just cause it's smash mouth doesn't mean there is no passing game

3. On the INT, said that Campbell telegraphs his receiver and a seasoned safety like Dawkins will definitely pick up on this and get picks.

He's right about this. And don't pump fake unless you know the receiver can get completely open (unlike what happened with Lloyd towards the endzone).

Well, I definately saw a difference in our offensive philosophy against Miami.

I think we substituted Betts for Portis after something like 8 plays.

Used to be Betts was the second-string guy who came in when Portis couldn't keep it up any more. But I think maybe we're migrating to more of a "RB by committee" than a "#1 and a #2" arrangement.

I'd point out that since this was Portis' first action, we might have seen Betts a bit more than usual to spell him for a breather.

I was driving home last night from the airport and heard Jaws on a 950AM (local Philly radio station) and he had some interesting points on the Skins-Eagles game:

1. Said we are not a blitzing team and play soft off the corners. Didn't really analyze this much but also stated that McNabb is not the same guy as in the past... can't make the great scramble plays any longer.

2. When asked about JC he said he is the type of QB that needs to be managed to 22- 25 throws a game (i.e. he won't be tossing 40 balls anytime soon.) He can attack all areas of the field with a great arm and is by no means a statue. While not a scrambling type of QB, can move around, is hard to bring down, and can make some plays with his legs.

4. Said that after watching the Skins-Fins game that the Skins have gone back to the smashmouth football of Gibbs past. This is not the Saunders offense we saw last year.

I was surprised that he thinks our offensive philosophy has changed… just curious if the rest of you think that we will see a dramatic change this season versus the last 7 games of last year. I thought the offense was coming around in those games and finding some identity. Nice pass-rush mix. I would be a bit disappointed if we didn’t try to spread the field more as Campbell settles in this season.

I was also surprised that Jaws didn’t point out Campbell’s TD-INT ratio last year. I think it was quite good for a rookie and while there is some validity to keeping the young QB’s touches to a minimum (especially given our run game) I see the Miami game as more of an anomaly then the norm.

I mentioned some of these same things in another thread and was told it was nonsense. Now Jaws, a football analyst, a former NFL player, a guy who lives, breathes and studies football for a living......well you get the picture.....:laugh:

Lloyd could have gotten completely open, but thats been argued ad naseaum in another thread.

Hmmm, well they only showed about the last part of his run on TV (even on the replays). Both camera angles were on JC and then following the ball most of the time. I guess the only ones who know for sure are the coaches (on game film) and the fans who were there that followed his route.

the Redskins will be a blitzing team when we are playing an opponent with receivers and a running game that scares us :)

Williams ran a vanilla scheme because he knew Miami didn't have the firepower to match up in the man on contests..........why tip your hand for future ballgames?

Well, I guess there are two threads on this but I totally disagree about the Saunders thing.

1) Saunders is still calling the plays.

2) They are still using his playbook

3) They are using his terminology

4) Clearly, they are using his passing tree (though Gibbs probably had the same but couldnt use it with Brunell in there)

5) CLEARLY using his run blocking scheme, as we find much better running lanes than we did in 2004 and even better than 2005. Right now, Portis has room to go and then make his move, even in 2005, he was running people over (he gained weight) and there was a lot of work he had to do to get that franchise record. This year should be easier for him (most of the time.)

Saunders offense is not predicated on NECESSARILY throwing the ball 40 times. An offense is not necessarily how many times you throw the ball. Did anyone watch Priest and LJ in KC? I mean, for real, sometimes you gotta wonder about people--EVEN Jaws who I typically respect.

Yes everyone is an expert here at Extremeskins. Bottom line under the bottom line is Joe Gibbs and Al Saunders together have created a hybrid offense that will count on the defense to keep us in close tough games with a potent running game as well. :):):):):) The best is yet to come. :):):):)

I think Jason is going to improve every game. He's got a very good arm and if the receiver is open it don't matter if he looks him off. Timing with receiver and being able to read the defense and know what angle the D backs are taking to the ball will get better each game. I expect some quick 7 & 8 yard tight end shots starting here soon. Jason has got the size and arm to do it. With the right timing and hands that plays is very tought to stop. Tipped balls inside are a big problem with that though. But the quick hit can make a defense suck up real quick.

I love having Portis and Betts splitting the duties. Betts is just a little more fumble prone but I think they have worked ball carry position with him and he's getting better. Most of his fumbles I have seen anyway came off a turn or spin move. Portis can carry it to the house in a heartbeat. If they give Betts any room he can make a big gainer happen.

Maybe Macnabb isn't what he used to be but I thought the times we were sucessfull with him is when we kept him in the pocket. Once he scrambled he made us look bad.

Go Skins

DanDan :eaglesuck

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's still Al Saunder's offense by the type of runs and passes.

I remember the Joe Gibbs offense as a pulling guard or tackle or both on running plays, or straight up power straight ahead blocking, lots of motion with the "H" back (hybrid fullback/tight end) lined up all kinda ways, passing involved a lot of hooks and curls.

This offense seems to me to run more than last year, but still do things differently than Gibbs offense. Runs are usually "stretch" plays, string out the D and let the back pick a gap. Pass routes seem to be more spread out.

Is that how you guys see it too, or is it just me?

I'd point out that since this was Portis' first action, we might have seen Betts a bit more than usual to spell him for a breather.

This is what I've been saying. I think the reason we played Betts so much was to keep Portis fresh and to make sure that he didn't get hurt (most players get hurt when they are tired).

He's right on McNabb, but he's wrong on just about everything else! I watched JC during the game, and have watched it a coupla times since. JC does not telegraph his throws any more than any other QB. I just don't see it.

As to our offense .. I don't think it's all that different than our offense at the end of last sseason. The difference is that our offensive players are more familiar with it, but the mix of plays is essentially the same as the end of last season.

Archived