Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jaws on the Redskins

MikeB

I remember the Joe Gibbs offense as a pulling guard or tackle or both on running plays, or straight up power straight ahead blocking, lots of motion with the "H" back (hybrid fullback/tight end) lined up all kinda ways, passing involved a lot of hooks and curls.

Is that how you guys see it too, or is it just me?

No, you nailed it. There's just a lot more space now in our run game than in the past and that's Saunders. We tried some totally antiquated crap that I don't think would have even been that effective with a Stephen Jackson-type. We modified it in 2005 (even though people said before the 04 season to please tweak the run game) but it's a magnitude better now and not just from 'chemistry.'

The passing game in 2004 was awful and while we went downfield a lot more in 2005, there were still some significant limitations (again, some of that due to who was under center not SEEING the middle of the field.)

This isn't Saunders style of offense simply because Campbell is not ready for it. Once Jason gets a dozen or so successful starts under his belt, then I assume you will see his leash loosened.

The blessing is, that if Campbell has a game that he regresses in his development, we can always revert to smashmouth.

Which also must mean that this isn't Gibbs offense either. During the years Gibbs had a QB that was ready the passing game was pretty damned good. Theismann in 1983-1985, Rypien for a couple years. Gibbs just has the ability to win with any QB while Saunders last year learned that his system wasn't working with Brunell.

Gibbs and Saunders are just two different branches off the same tree, while Gibbs was off playing with racecars Saunders took the same background and went a bit farther with it. I really don't see a lot of conflict in what they are doing, I suspect Joe has input but also agrees with what Saunders is doing. I have read a lot about the two not meshing but so far I don't think it is true. Perhaps Joe's influence and preference for the run has some impact, but KC ran quite a bit also.

We are not seeing the Gibbs offense of the 80s. That experiment was tried and failed in the first half of 2004.

We are not seeing much of the Al Saunders kansas City offense either because Brunell didn't fit it and Campbell isn't ready to run it. If his accuracy doesn't improve on his short to medium range throws, he never will.

What we have is a blend of Gibbs philosophy and Saunders' plays that even includes Denver's stretch play as an accomdation to Clinton Portis.

We need an NFL quality passing game. The closest thing we have seen resembling one recently was in the first half of 2005 when Brunell was connecting with a single-covered Santana Moss.

Edit: Campbell's fourth quarter of the final game last year looked promising also.

those last 7 games they scaled the playbook way down to make it easy for campbell to adjust after beign PLUGGED in, he didnt get snaps as a #1 until that switch and wasnt prepared for full offensive gameplans. This year the redskins are doing a good job of protecting a young QB with a run game and will allow the QB to grow as the season progress and be able to become more effective in the pass game with out having that "I have to win the game" mentality IMO :2cents:

we've only played one game. let's give it a while before we ID a trend, philosophy or bad habits by a player. Every QB 'telegraphs' a pass now and then although the young ones do it more.

Amen to that. And also the same in regards to the blitz. Blitzing creates a lot of open opportunities for an offense at times. I do not believe the game plan was to try and constantly blitz Trent Green. Rather would stuff the run and have him just dump off passes and not allow the receivers alot of big plays. Which is what the Skins defense did. Although, McNabb coming off injury last year, GW might changes things up this game, depending on who is starting or missing from our defense this game.

:helmet: :logo: :point2sky

Jaws is maybe the most knowledgable guy out there making their opinions and observations public. Just thought I'd throw that in before I say there is something about him that makes me grab for my pocket to make sure my wallet is still in place. Looks like he can make a great deal on a used car.

Anyway, JC does have a problem with looking in his recievers like most young guys do. Really now a days the level of play among most QBs is so low there is a lot of locking on.

As far as a return to smash-mouth football, I don't know if it will be a perminate feature when we really have a hard time running the ball. I hope so but who knows? It's not as if we never tried to run the ball last year, but it didn't work until Jason played and the danger of a pass over 7 yards became a reality.

Archived